Thank you Carnival for going the 95/5 route!

MrMarc

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And reading Dewey's post, I guess helping you make quarantine arrangements is giving a list of wrong numbers for hotels. Just as unprepared for what was inevitable to happen as not thinking to have the delivery charge suspended for those under quarantine.

I am sorry you cannot understand that this is a bad situation for the cruise lines, and while foreseeable, all of these processes are new.  Mistakes are going to be made.  Expecting perfection and not understanding mistakes will lead to a lot of totally unnecessary stress.  I am willing to bet that the people from the ship dealing with this were flustered and trying too hard, so they screwed up.  As for the wrong numbers, I would bet that there had been many changes made and the person either had not been given the current one or grabbed the wrong one.  I guess they should have been fired on the spot. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

She wad tested negative upon embarkation, though.  How does this apply to her situation? 

" Third line, -or test positive during the debark testing-" I missed that the first time i read it too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

I am sorry you cannot understand that this is a bad situation for the cruise lines, and while foreseeable, all of these processes are new.  Mistakes are going to be made.  Expecting perfection and not understanding mistakes will lead to a lot of totally unnecessary stress.  I am willing to bet that the people from the ship dealing with this were flustered and trying too hard, so they screwed up.  As for the wrong numbers, I would bet that there had been many changes made and the person either had not been given the current one or grabbed the wrong one.  I guess they should have been fired on the spot. 

As a recreation service industry, their goal should have been to make this as comfortable as possible in what was a bad situation for their passengers. They did not do this well. This is my last word on this topic.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I am not sure what part of mistake you are not understanding.  Mistakes are made be people all the time, it's how we treat them when they do that really matters.   It is actually possible that the mistake was made because they were trying to do something differently than they normally do.   Sometimes when you try and be extra careful, you mess things up worse.  That is life.

Exactly. 

• Like 1

hello all I do know want anybody to get in any arguments. the room service is not a big deal to me at all just a minor inconvenience. The problem is that Carnival has no policies/procedures when a positive case is found. nobody knew what they were doing, you would get three different answers from three different people it was a mess. maybe we were the first two positive cases, but the staff had no idea what they were doing.

again the majority of the staff is quite nice I don't want nice I want competent.  i also believe they probably didn't assist me at all because they had no idea to assist me.  and this is wrong on Carnival corporations fault, their staff needs to be trained on how to deal with this because it will happen on board the ships.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

And we’re getting one person’s account of the situation. While I’m not insinuating Dewey is being untruthful, there are always several perspectives. There may be a legitimate “why”, it may be a comedy of errors, maybe a combination of both. Surely they have been trained repeatedly in anticipation of the restart? Flexibility is key. There’s no script for this.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fivehole said:

And we’re getting one person’s account of the situation. While I’m not insinuating Dewey is being untruthful, there are always several perspectives. There may be a legitimate “why”, it may be a comedy of errors, maybe a combination of both. Surely they have been trained repeatedly in anticipation of the restart? Flexibility is key. There’s no script for this.  

I can assure you I have been to 100 percent accurate and truthful in my account.  I want the cruise lines to continue to operate and be successful. That's why I want to give them feedback so they can improve their processes and remain sailing.  I LOVE cruising and hope the environment will be good for my Thanksgiving and Christmas cruises!! Hoping kiddos will be vaxxed by then!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Wonderful priorities, making sure no one sees an ambulance at the port. I guess not informing passengers that there was Covid on the ship goes hand and hand with that.

That is an assumption without evidence.

41 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

But at least they can still make money by charging you for quarantine room service. I guess that is another priority.

a really petty point to dwell on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

hello all I do know want anybody to get in any arguments. the room service is not a big deal to me at all just a minor inconvenience. The problem is that Carnival has no policies/procedures when a positive case is found. nobody knew what they were doing, you would get three different answers from three different people it was a mess. maybe we were the first two positive cases, but the staff had no idea what they were doing.

again the majority of the staff is quite nice I don't want nice I want competent.  i also believe they probably didn't assist me at all because they had no idea to assist me.  and this is wrong on Carnival corporations fault, their staff needs to be trained on how to deal with this because it will happen on board the ships.

I agree with you 100%.  A crew is used to doing the same things and following the same procedures over and over.  It sounds like there was little or no training for the situation, and that is wrong.  I think you handled it with great understanding and restraint.  It is easy to say what I am saying sitting here at my keyboard.  Honestly, I'm not sure I would if I had just been told that I and my son tested positive for COVID.  If I am ever in that situation, I hope I deal with it as well as it sounds like you did.  In my younger days, I am afraid I would have thrown a temper tantrum, but thankfully age has mellowed me.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I agree with you 100%.  A crew is used to doing the same things and following the same procedures over and over.  It sounds like there was little or no training for the situation, and that is wrong.  I think you handled it with great understanding and restraint.  It is easy to say what I am saying sitting here at my keyboard.  Honestly, I'm not sure I would if I had just been told that I and my son tested positive for COVID.  If I am ever in that situation, I hope I deal with it as well as it sounds like you did.  In my younger days, I am afraid I would have thrown a temper tantrum, but thankfully age has mellowed me.

Believe me there were tears!  My son was very afraid - he caught the horrible virus that we have been trying to escape for the last 16 months. I just want my kids to have the life that they once had and be able to be kids again.  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

Believe me there were tears!  My son was very afraid - he caught the horrible virus that we have been trying to escape for the last 16 months. I just want my kids to have the life that they once had and be able to be kids again.  

I cannot imagine how scared he was or how helpless you must have felt.  I am sorry about the problems you had, I just felt like some people were making it into something it wasn't.  My 2 are grown, but 1 just graduated with a BFA in acting.  Yes, I was a bad dad, I encouraged my daughter to become an actress.  It felt like a much better idea before COVID.  But as a parent, well, let's just say I cannot imagine what you went/are going through.  I hope the recovery continues smoothly, which it sounds like it is.  And tell your son that now he has a cool story to tell about his vacation.  Sometimes you really have to make lemonade.

34 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

And tell your son that now he has a cool story to tell about his vacation.  Sometimes you really have to make lemonade.

I think all of us willing to cruise right now, vaccinated or not, HAVE to have some level of awareness that Covid can happen and if it does, what happens next may or may not go particularly well.  There is risk in this situation, not least of which is, once "somebody" contracts the virus, they may become ill, perhaps very very ill. We need to be prepared for the logistics to be messy from that point on, assume the vacation is effectively over and all priorities change immediately.  Honestly at that point all we want is to get home and get well.  Having a deep well of patience will go a long way toward getting through the worst, if the worst comes to pass.  

And the best case scenario is the cruise line pays for much of the inconvenience and we have a great story to tell afterward about a once in a lifetime experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deweytrader said:

I agree 100% that the crew was doing all they could given the newness of the situation. We all have seen how much crew members go to great lengths to please and help all of us.

The disconnect seems to be at the upper management level. They are in charge of planning. They had a lot of time to work out all that could go wrong. For example not to see how petty charging for room service to a quarantined room was inexcusable. Have they never had quarantined rooms previously, for example for norovirus?

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

That is an assumption without evidence.

a really petty point to dwell on.

They just happened to change their mind about providing transportation when they heard the words ambulance at the dock? If that is what you believe, nothing will change your mind?

Did they in the past charge room service delivery fees to rooms quarantined for norovirus?

BTW, your pom poms are showing.🤣

• Like 1

I agree 100% that the crew was doing all they could given the newness of the situation. We all have seen how much crew members go to great lengths to please and help all of us.

The disconnect seems to be at the upper management level. They are in charge of planning. They had a lot of time to work out all that could go wrong. For example not to see how petty charging for room service to a quarantined room was inexcusable. Have they never had quarantined rooms previously, for example for norovirus?

I don't believe they put people in isolation for norovirus. You sure are obsessed with the room service charge. More so than the OP.

They just happened to change their mind about providing transportation when they heard the words ambulance at the dock? If that is what you believe, nothing will change your mind?

Did they in the past charge room service delivery fees to rooms quarantined for norovirus?

BTW, your pom poms are showing.🤣

Perhaps they empathized with the situation and it quite possibly was the ship's first encounter with covid. Now you are judging me along with Carnival? Too funny 🤣🤣🤣.

I already know nothing will deter you from the obsession with a room service charge for 1 night - the last night of the cruise.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Perhaps they empathized with the situation and it quite possibly was the ship's first encounter with covid. Now you are judging me along with Carnival? Too funny 🤣🤣🤣.

I already know nothing will deter you from the obsession with a room service charge for 1 night - the last night of the cruise.

If I was judging you, I would put you on my ignore list. I have not done that because there are some issues of which I have found you to make great sense. But in this case, your pom poms are showing.

And you really believe that Dewey and family were the first passengers ever quarantined? Policy is set at the highest level. I think in the future (though it will not make any difference I'm sure), I will vote against all board members with my proxy vote.

36 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't believe they put people in isolation for norovirus. You sure are obsessed with the room service charge. More so than the OP.

Norovirus is EXTREMELY CONTAGIOUS, but you do not think the cruise line isolates those who come down with it, really?

I guess you do not want to deal with the fact the Dewey and family's quarantine was not the first time that Carnival had someone in quarantine, and that that would mean that charge was standard policy, and not an oops this is brand new and we made a mistake that we might eventually correct situation.

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Norovirus is EXTREMELY CONTAGIOUS, but you do not think the cruise line isolates those who come down with it, really?

I guess you do not want to deal with the fact the Dewey and family's quarantine was not the first time that Carnival had someone in quarantine, and that that would mean that charge was standard policy, and not an oops this is brand new and we made a mistake that we might eventually correct situation.

Ok, you really are obsessed with the room service charge.  They made a mistake, who knows what the reason is.  Even the person who was involved is not nearly as upset as you are.  Have you never had an accidental charge while on a ship?  Or them showing that you have a towel out when you do not?  Covid or not, people make mistakes. 

• Like 1

It sounds like RCCL for all their changes and miscommunication, or noncommunication, is clearly handling positive cases far, far, far better than Carnival.  I am curious as to who is willing to take a COVID positive person from Galveston into Houston, other than an ambulance crew.  .RCCL is apparently transferring people by ambulance to the airport and flying people to their home in a private jet, at least from Nassau.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Norovirus is not primarily airborne; Covid is. It is fine to confine noro people to their cabins. With proper personal hygiene. noro is easily avoided. Not going to debate your endless assumptions.

6 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

It sounds like RCCL for all their changes and miscommunication, or noncommunication, is clearly handling positive cases far, far, far better than Carnival.  I am curious as to who is willing to take a COVID positive person from Galveston into Houston, other than an ambulance crew.  .RCCL is apparently transferring people by ambulance to the airport and flying people to their home in a private jet, at least from Nassau.

RCCL is now requiring unvaxed people to have insurance, including evacuation.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Just a fyi we do not know what rcl would do in a similar situation. The situation we are comparing to was out of nassau, not the usa. They did have to make previous arrangements and insurance to go out of nassau.

The first time rcl out of usa and tests positive as it enters home port we will know. Right now comparing nassau to usa carnival might be apples to oranges. I'm watching myself as I'm doing Galveston on rcl in dec. Today was independence test cruise. Let's see how apples compare to apples.

4 hours ago, deweytrader said:

I wouldn’t worry about it @deweytrader.  You just happened to have voiced your frustrations in a thread where only 2 or 3 other users are  “correct” .  Literally always.  Try a different Carnival thread and you’ll find a lot more empathy for your situation.  Best wishes to you and your family!

• Thanks 1