We need a STRAW update from a current cruiser!

Circlt

I use Openable Silicone Straws, Interlocking Design straws in the car, I love my stainless but bumpy mountain roads and my teeth do not.  They fold to fit in your pocket and split apart for easy cleaning never had a leasking issue.  Ill be bringing several of them 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mips said:

I use Openable Silicone Straws, Interlocking Design straws in the car, I love my stainless but bumpy mountain roads and my teeth do not.  They fold to fit in your pocket and split apart for easy cleaning never had a leasking issue.  Ill be bringing several of them 

I found stainless straws with silicon tubes along the top to protect your teeth. Should be delivered tomorrow. Hoping it is the best of both worlds!

Just now, Brew12 said:

I found stainless straws with silicon tubes along the top to protect your teeth. Should be delivered tomorrow. Hoping it is the best of both worlds!

I have those but they still need a brush to clean them between drinks.  The opening ones just need a little soap and clean hands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mips said:

I have those but they still need a brush to clean them between drinks.  The opening ones just need a little soap and clean hands.

Very true, but at least the container that holds the straw has a little brush in it for just that purpose. Lots of good options out there.

I will be bringing my individually wrapped cornstarch straws for the few drinks that I feel a straw is needed......

61LvGS77LtL._AC_SL1051_.jpg

Seriously considering bringing these yummy straws for my bloody marys.  Pricey, but a favorite of mine.....

Demitri's Bloody Mary Pepperoni Straws - 5 Count

• Like 1

I brought an entire pack of straws (good old fashioned neon-colored plastic ones) with me on our Breeze cruise last week, and people around me were mighty jealous, lol. I happily handed plenty of them out. Those "edible" straws are awful, and just weird with most drinks. The only ones I didn't mind were the chocolate ones for milkshakes -- those were at least more "appropriate". But a lime-flavored straw with a Malibu Colada is just.. ick. And all of them dissolving in your mouth after a few minutes is just 🤮.

The no-coffee-stirrers thing is way more confusing to me, though... Now instead of those, they have ceramic jars with tons and tons of regular spoons in them, and separate jars labeled "soiled." How is it more environmentally friendly to be using all that water, detergent, manpower, etc. to wash SO many spoons so often?? 

Edited by crazy4themouse
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, crazy4themouse said:

I brought an entire pack of straws (good old fashioned neon-colored plastic ones) with me on our Breeze cruise last week, and people around me were mighty jealous, lol. I happily handed plenty of them out. Those "edible" straws are awful, and just weird with most drinks. The only ones I didn't mind were the chocolate ones for milkshakes -- those were at least more "appropriate". But a lime-flavored straw with a Malibu Colada is just.. ick. And all of them dissolving in your mouth after a few minutes is just 🤮.

The no-coffee-stirrers thing is way more confusing to me, though... Now instead of those, they have ceramic jars with tons and tons of regular spoons in them, and separate jars labeled "soiled." How is it more environmentally friendly to be using all that water, detergent, manpower, etc. to wash SO many spoons so often?? 

Thanks for reassurance I just packed mine for 8-14!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RoperDK said:

I will be bringing my individually wrapped cornstarch straws for the few drinks that I feel a straw is needed......

61LvGS77LtL._AC_SL1051_.jpg

Seriously considering bringing these yummy straws for my bloody marys.  Pricey, but a favorite of mine.....

Demitri's Bloody Mary Pepperoni Straws - 5 Count

Do the cornstarch straws hold up for a decent length of time in frozen drinks?  Is there any cornstarch taste?  This is the best option I have seen.

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

Do the cornstarch straws hold up for a decent length of time in frozen drinks?  Is there any cornstarch taste?  This is the best option I have seen.

I have never had them break down at all and they don't have any taste that I can tell.  Disclaimer though, environmentalists don't consider these to be a perfect solution.  They take a considerable amount of time to totally break down unless they are in a perfect composting set up.  For me, I am fine with them.  I don't use that many and it is a compromise for me.  Better than bringing plastic on board in my eyes.    

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 1:49 PM, TNcruising02 said:

The sugar straws are fine for the first 15 minutes, but then they start wilting.  I usually take a long time to finish a frozen drink, so the sugar straws don't hold up.  I never understood the issue with straws as long as they were disposed of properly.   I've never seen anyone throw one over the side of a ship.

They recycle plastic bottles...I bring my own box of straws...

Marne, the Cruisin' Fool

CCL Dream 2022
CCL Vista 2019
CCL Breeze 2018
CCL Breeze 2018
CCL Conquest September/October 2015
CCL Magic April 2015
PCL Caribbean Princess 2014
CCL Magic Dec 2013
CCL Magic Nov 2013
CCL Magic 2012
CCL Conquest 2011
PCL Island 2009
PCL Emerald 2008
CCL Legend 2007
CCL Legend 2007
CCL Valor 2007
PCL Caribbean 2007
CCL Conquest 2007
CCL Conquest 2006
RCCL Rhapsody 2005
Celebrity Constellation 2003
Celebrity Constellation 2002
CCL Conquest 2002
CCL Elation 2002
CCL Triumph 2001
CCL Elation 2000
RCCL Monarch 1999
RCCL Rhapsody 1998
RCCL Sovereign 1997
RCCL Majesty 1996
Celebrity Zenith 1996
RCCL Monarch 1996
CCL Sensation 1994
NCL Wind 1994
CCL Holiday 1992
CCL Celebration 1991
CCL Jubilee 1991
CCL Celebration 1990
PCL Sky Princess 1990
Delta Del_Sud 1967

I got a plastic straw recently at the dfw airport. The shop proudly displayed a sign that they were eco friendly blah blah blah.  These straws, which I had never before seen, literally shattered with the slightest amount of pressure. Little shards of sharp, hard something- like -plastic but apparently not, fell into my drink. I grabbed another and filmed the breaking. 

Sorry, but some stuff has gone too far. I’m bringing a 100 pack of good old fashioned straws. Maybe they’ll get seized with my power strip😂

DBA23CAF-E985-4192-99C7-4460FD48C444.jpeg

Just now, Bgwest said:

For sale today on  Vista: 

$4.95

image.thumb.jpeg.2d4b2979484d00770c9216b7e20c2a71.jpeg

Also:

$1.00 each for a rubber straw.  

One of the bartenders advises there will be no other kinds of straws available throughout the cruise.image.thumb.jpeg.8543a9d9f0bdaa6838ad2845fdaedfa0.jpega rubber straw. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Also:

$1.00 each for a rubber straw.  

One of the bartenders advises there will be no other kinds of straws available throughout the cruise.image.thumb.jpeg.8543a9d9f0bdaa6838ad2845fdaedfa0.jpega rubber straw. 

The rubber straws look a lot more comfortable than the stainless to me.

• Like 2