On the Apex Now - 7/31/21 Impressions

Steelydad2021

Ian441672’s recent Apex thread was most helpful leading up to this week and here is hoping Ian is enjoying a much deserved B2B second week somewhere on the ship.  Since this current sailing is just the Apex’s 7th and earlier trips were at a fraction capacity, perhaps these jet lagged on-board impressions will be of some value.  Of course, YMMV and significant future changes would be expected in these times.

DW & I are closer to 60 than to 50, 8th cruise (including 1 river Seine), last in 1/20 on Windstar Legend in the Caribbean.  Booked Apex last April when after a year + of gloom, we took out the map and asked “when it’s over, where to?”  Threw a dart and DW says “after your trip behind the fridge to get that dart, how about Greek islands?” (Retiring that joke now.) 

When X announced Greece & Israel it was like she served the smooth retsina, the danger on the rocks was surely past, call in my reservation, so long hey thanks my friend and we can sail till the bending end.  But then no Israel, sad, but happy about Dubrovnik which was on ye ole bucket list and mostly thrilled just to be traveling. 

Finally, after months of worry especially about passing the pre-boarding test though vaxed asymptomatic spread is a remote possibility, it was swab, wait 15 min, got hoped for results and welcome aboard.  Not so for a parent and child behind us apparently(?) the cause of the X staff hushed scurrying about in the tent on the dock.  Lots of urgent talk into cell phones and purposeful walking.  Cannot imagine the disappointment for any unlucky souls having made it that far only to be turn away.  Apparently, X handled the situation allowing 800 passengers and 900 crew set sail this week.  Perhaps this is how things will be – risks handled and life returns for all but the few unlucky but who knows? Not me.

Arrived at 11:15am for the scheduled 11:30, luggage efficiently checked in with directions to wait in the large tent.  The ice water was welcomed but AC’s barely cooled the 100 degree+ real feel temp.  Thanks to other CC threads, we were braced for the hot wait and had prepared all the paperwork unlike a lady in a wheelchair who got real loud when hers was not in order.    A failure to plan is a plan for failure and as the sign in the WC says, ‘no job is complete until the paperwork is done’ (retiring that too) so best to triple check the current requirements.  Saw that woman later by the pool so guess she eventually got on but she was still hollering about her bother hours later.

On board at 12:40 so figure 90 min to get on but that includes 15 min early arrival.  BTW one of the nasal swabbers told DW to throw out the little test # paper but others asked for it after getting the results.  Not sure if that would have been a big deal had we not kept it.

First thing on board was to check the ever-changing excursions status & as mentioned before in this forum, still X led excursions only on Mikonos but freedom everywhere else … for now.   Starting to notice … where are all the people? 

The Ship:

Much has been written about the Apex style but IMHO, the natural plantings, especially at the Rooftop Garden and Eden, and the eclectic art keep the vibe just shy of tacky glitz.   That massive stark chandelier comes close maybe. Clearly lots of thought, lessons learned and top $ went into everything.  Reckon they had some time for fine tuning recently too.

Touchless doors, little gathering seating all over usually w/ stunning views, a spacious state of the art gym, winding ramp jogging track, the Magic Carpet (engineering genius that) for speeding up tenders are all much welcome.  Fanciful chairs from wingbacks to hammock seats and pin shots of bygone starlet types from your favorite foreign movie make for an interesting mix of theming.  Still figuring it all out but that’s a good thing.  Apex big debut, a refuge to run to for skipped dimensions?  It’s definitely not an ordinary party boat.

Soot smell is noticeable at times at the pools but not on our room balcony.  Wifi is ship wifi.  You might use it when you feel better when you get home.   Smooth sailing on water like glass but it’s a heat wave w/o the usual Santa Anna type winds they say.

The staff seems genuinely happy to be working again, relieved even -- a much appreciated ethic these days … nuff said.  They set a polite example wearing masks but are not in your face so to speak about not wearing them especially outdoors and especially when its so hot out.  You can overhear it’s a topic but (hopefully) losing the maskhole ugliness on both sides … nuff said.  BTW the X branded masks provided in the room are like wearing an oven mitt, a fancy mitt but still … not a breath of air.

The Room:

A Sky Suite seemed a reasonable balance between ‘no-time-like-now’ Covid urgency and continuing offspring tuition obligations.  Balcony adds massive indoor/outdoor space for time out of mind but the sliding door seems to have a tricky airlock thingy going on.  I might have broken a piece, … well definitely.  Walls are thin though and we hear thems next door.  Better turn up the Eagles.  On whole tho, the room works.

This week the suites are 2/3’s booked which is much less than the last few weeks so maybe should have tried to bid something bigger but that would upset that reasonable balance.  But as a result, Luminae, for example, has been less than 1/3 full for meals.   I still ride the subway to work so no complaints about extra space but sometimes it feels like the ship wants more customers.  Not like “The Shining” earie but this boat was built for way more people and you can almost hear it long for more cruisers.  Or maybe that was just the wind howling from the sliding door which somebody failed to close last night. OK that was me but I got it figured now.

The crowd or lack of crowd seems overwhelmingly from the States w/ a sprinkling of UK, South Africa, Spain, Netherlands and very few under 18.   Also, maybe folks are feeling unleashed which is understandable but the inevitable few loudmouths and complainers are not always lost in a crowd and at times behave in cringing contrast to the understated crew professionalism.   “Hey, Party Boat was to the left you so-and-sos, this ain’t ____ (insert favorite party boat line).”  Mostly though folks are settling down to enjoying a proper good time and probably figured out their sliding doors straight away.

Food: Expectations were high and so far met, surpassed even for the Oceanview Café, which is effectively an world class cafeteria with million $ views.  They still serve the drinks there but it’s a nice not be constantly being served.  For many years now there are 2 places were folks w/ food issues could reliably feel safe; Disney (ships, parks, Adventures by D, etc.) and cruise ships … just makes vacation so much better.  All meals at Luminae so far, tre bien … no … better than tre bien.

Cannot really speak to entertainment but so far the random live music has been about on par with past cruises, namely, enjoyable enough for the setting but would not buy the album.

If you are torn about cruising, I would suggest - throw out the hardware, do it right and give it the college try.  Things may get a whole lot worse before suddenly falling apart. 

Just so happy X is doing this sail so far and cocktails do taste better on the water.

And to think, last Monday, guy on the 4 train next to me lights up a spliff.... in a closed car... at 7am. 🤪 What a difference a week can make.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Steelydad2021 said:

Ian441672’s recent Apex thread was most helpful leading up to this week and here is hoping Ian is enjoying a much deserved B2B second week somewhere on the ship.  Since this current sailing is just the Apex’s 7th and earlier trips were at a fraction capacity, perhaps these jet lagged on-board impressions will be of some value.  Of course, YMMV and significant future changes would be expected in these times.

DW & I are closer to 60 than to 50, 8th cruise (including 1 river Seine), last in 1/20 on Windstar Legend in the Caribbean.  Booked Apex last April when after a year + of gloom, we took out the map and asked “when it’s over, where to?”  Threw a dart and DW says “after your trip behind the fridge to get that dart, how about Greek islands?” (Retiring that joke now.) 

When X announced Greece & Israel it was like she served the smooth retsina, the danger on the rocks was surely past, call in my reservation, so long hey thanks my friend and we can sail till the bending end.  But then no Israel, sad, but happy about Dubrovnik which was on ye ole bucket list and mostly thrilled just to be traveling. 

Finally, after months of worry especially about passing the pre-boarding test though vaxed asymptomatic spread is a remote possibility, it was swab, wait 15 min, got hoped for results and welcome aboard.  Not so for a parent and child behind us apparently(?) the cause of the X staff hushed scurrying about in the tent on the dock.  Lots of urgent talk into cell phones and purposeful walking.  Cannot imagine the disappointment for any unlucky souls having made it that far only to be turn away.  Apparently, X handled the situation allowing 800 passengers and 900 crew set sail this week.  Perhaps this is how things will be – risks handled and life returns for all but the few unlucky but who knows? Not me.

Arrived at 11:15am for the scheduled 11:30, luggage efficiently checked in with directions to wait in the large tent.  The ice water was welcomed but AC’s barely cooled the 100 degree+ real feel temp.  Thanks to other CC threads, we were braced for the hot wait and had prepared all the paperwork unlike a lady in a wheelchair who got real loud when hers was not in order.    A failure to plan is a plan for failure and as the sign in the WC says, ‘no job is complete until the paperwork is done’ (retiring that too) so best to triple check the current requirements.  Saw that woman later by the pool so guess she eventually got on but she was still hollering about her bother hours later.

On board at 12:40 so figure 90 min to get on but that includes 15 min early arrival.  BTW one of the nasal swabbers told DW to throw out the little test # paper but others asked for it after getting the results.  Not sure if that would have been a big deal had we not kept it.

First thing on board was to check the ever-changing excursions status & as mentioned before in this forum, still X led excursions only on Mikonos but freedom everywhere else … for now.   Starting to notice … where are all the people? 

The Ship:

Much has been written about the Apex style but IMHO, the natural plantings, especially at the Rooftop Garden and Eden, and the eclectic art keep the vibe just shy of tacky glitz.   That massive stark chandelier comes close maybe. Clearly lots of thought, lessons learned and top $ went into everything.  Reckon they had some time for fine tuning recently too.

Touchless doors, little gathering seating all over usually w/ stunning views, a spacious state of the art gym, winding ramp jogging track, the Magic Carpet (engineering genius that) for speeding up tenders are all much welcome.  Fanciful chairs from wingbacks to hammock seats and pin shots of bygone starlet types from your favorite foreign movie make for an interesting mix of theming.  Still figuring it all out but that’s a good thing.  Apex big debut, a refuge to run to for skipped dimensions?  It’s definitely not an ordinary party boat.

Soot smell is noticeable at times at the pools but not on our room balcony.  Wifi is ship wifi.  You might use it when you feel better when you get home.   Smooth sailing on water like glass but it’s a heat wave w/o the usual Santa Anna type winds they say.

The staff seems genuinely happy to be working again, relieved even -- a much appreciated ethic these days … nuff said.  They set a polite example wearing masks but are not in your face so to speak about not wearing them especially outdoors and especially when its so hot out.  You can overhear it’s a topic but (hopefully) losing the maskhole ugliness on both sides … nuff said.  BTW the X branded masks provided in the room are like wearing an oven mitt, a fancy mitt but still … not a breath of air.

The Room:

A Sky Suite seemed a reasonable balance between ‘no-time-like-now’ Covid urgency and continuing offspring tuition obligations.  Balcony adds massive indoor/outdoor space for time out of mind but the sliding door seems to have a tricky airlock thingy going on.  I might have broken a piece, … well definitely.  Walls are thin though and we hear thems next door.  Better turn up the Eagles.  On whole tho, the room works.

This week the suites are 2/3’s booked which is much less than the last few weeks so maybe should have tried to bid something bigger but that would upset that reasonable balance.  But as a result, Luminae, for example, has been less than 1/3 full for meals.   I still ride the subway to work so no complaints about extra space but sometimes it feels like the ship wants more customers.  Not like “The Shining” earie but this boat was built for way more people and you can almost hear it long for more cruisers.  Or maybe that was just the wind howling from the sliding door which somebody failed to close last night. OK that was me but I got it figured now.

The crowd or lack of crowd seems overwhelmingly from the States w/ a sprinkling of UK, South Africa, Spain, Netherlands and very few under 18.   Also, maybe folks are feeling unleashed which is understandable but the inevitable few loudmouths and complainers are not always lost in a crowd and at times behave in cringing contrast to the understated crew professionalism.   “Hey, Party Boat was to the left you so-and-sos, this ain’t ____ (insert favorite party boat line).”  Mostly though folks are settling down to enjoying a proper good time and probably figured out their sliding doors straight away.

Food: Expectations were high and so far met, surpassed even for the Oceanview Café, which is effectively an world class cafeteria with million $ views.  They still serve the drinks there but it’s a nice not be constantly being served.  For many years now there are 2 places were folks w/ food issues could reliably feel safe; Disney (ships, parks, Adventures by D, etc.) and cruise ships … just makes vacation so much better.  All meals at Luminae so far, tre bien … no … better than tre bien.

Cannot really speak to entertainment but so far the random live music has been about on par with past cruises, namely, enjoyable enough for the setting but would not buy the album.

If you are torn about cruising, I would suggest - throw out the hardware, do it right and give it the college try.  Things may get a whole lot worse before suddenly falling apart. 

Just so happy X is doing this sail so far and cocktails do taste better on the water.

And to think, last Monday, guy on the 4 train next to me lights up a spliff.... in a closed car... at 7am. 🤪 What a difference a week can make.

We just booked the August 28 Apex greek isles.  We just need a vacation.  Thank you for this really cool review.  Needed to read something happy and positive.  "Tre bien....no...better than tre bien.  Enjoy your vacation.

• Like 1

Thanks for the name check and your great post! Lovely to hear your alternative (similar) views, with different observations and comments. I agree It is very quiet, but for me it seems a lot busier than last week. Too much of a good thing!

Hope you continue to enjoy your cruise and make the most of the relative tranquility in a unique surrounding. 

14 hours ago, love to sail - brian said:

We just booked the August 28 Apex greek isles.  We just need a vacation.  Thank you for this really cool review.  Needed to read something happy and positive.  "Tre bien....no...better than tre bien.  Enjoy your vacation.

see what u did there 👌

Not long 4 u now - may your Journey be anyway you want it, that's the way you need it, a Greek medallion that sparkles on the Cerulean Seas

5 hours ago, ian441672 said:

Thanks for the name check and your great post! Lovely to hear your alternative (similar) views, with different observations and comments. I agree It is very quiet, but for me it seems a lot busier than last week. Too much of a good thing!

Hope you continue to enjoy your cruise and make the most of the relative tranquility in a unique surrounding. 

each day gets better, an antidote to stressful times but some of that artwork ...

Not saying the sculptures could be zombies Stephen King dreamed up from an Athens night club, not saying It

X sculpture 4.jpeg

X sculpture 3.jpeg

X sculpture 2.jpeg

X sculpture 1.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steelydad2021 said:

each day gets better, an antidote to stressful times but some of that artwork ...

Not saying the sculptures could be zombies Stephen King dreamed up from an Athens night club, not saying It

X sculpture 4.jpeg

X sculpture 3.jpeg

X sculpture 2.jpeg

X sculpture 1.jpeg

My cruise mate said the snowball statue looked like Lisa Simpson. 🤣  The statues outside of Eden are just weird.  The blue man pictured has his backside to the adjacent Eden window.  Forward facing or not, I don't think the Eden statues add to the ambiance at all.  YMMV

2 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

My cruise mate said the snowball statue looked like Lisa Simpson. 🤣  The statues outside of Eden are just weird.  The blue man pictured has his backside to the adjacent Eden window.  Forward facing or not, I don't think the Eden statues add to the ambiance at all.  YMMV

Lisa Simpson? sure, close your eyes and you’ll be there, its everything you say … it is 😱

Blue man Utube? – a wooly man without a face, a beast without a name

Just don’t want to be on the Apex when the zombie attached to these giant hands wakes up   

On another note, and comments on the X upsell -- it’s deliberate but subtle enough, buy the specialty dining pkg, (we were softly talked into a sea day tasting lunch), one set of elevators puts you directly into the 1 armed bandits  … put a dollar in the kitty, don’t the moon look pretty … not terrible but yeah, its around

image hands.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steelydad2021 said:

Love your cc name Steelydad2021, and your posting style. Thanks for generously taking us along. Thanks also for posting pics of some of the art. I loved some of the art on Edge, and I have a long wait for my Apex sailing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Steelydad2021 - thank you for this - I needed it! With nothing but bad news my stomach is in knots waiting to see if my 9/4 Apex sailing will even happen.  And so long as it does and I'm on it I will be happy.  Change what may, additional hoops to go through, that's all fine.  I really just need to get away and relax.  Don't get the complainers - the things they think are precious I don't understand.

• Like 1

Steelydad2021 - thanks for doing this review - you are hilarious and love your musical references.  

Can I ask if you are in an aft Sky Suite (you mentioned the word "soot" so figured...).  Can I ask what deck you are on?  We are going on a B3B next year and staying in an aft SS, so just wondered....any pics would be much appreciated.😀

Looking forward to your next post.😎

Cheers,

Canuck

49 minutes ago, toothdocsx2 said:

Steelydad2021 - thank you for this - I needed it! With nothing but bad news my stomach is in knots waiting to see if my 9/4 Apex sailing will even happen.  And so long as it does and I'm on it I will be happy.  Change what may, additional hoops to go through, that's all fine.  I really just need to get away and relax.  Don't get the complainers - the things they think are precious I don't understand.

ahh but you do understand ... at this point in time that's clear, this dream's in sight.

Know those knots well & you have precisely the right attitude.  You'll need the tools for survival and medicine for the blues -- Apex after a pox???

Take 2 below as your remedies, one of these will surely screen out the sorrow -- pic are yesterday in "Eeeeahhh," spelled Oia non-phonetically for reasons unknown. 

X excursion dude on board said Oia would be a photo stop only, quick on/off the bus, its a long trip from ship to tender to bus to town, and the donkey trail is not recommended b/c of the road apples they leave roasting in the sun. But we got most of an hour to wander the cool marble streets kissed by the breeze and crowd free.  Oh yeah, Eeeeahh.  All about managing expectations.  

Guide said the stunning blue plunge pools for the rich & famous are all against code but they build them anyway into the steep volcanic pumice cliff.  Not a leave of vegetation.  What could go wrong?

Oia is an original classic thing but aren't those the same tee shirts, magnets & shot glasses in Athens, and again in Rhodes today?  A few nice authentic stores too if you have time to burn ... on return.

But I feel your pain Toothdoc.  Definitely not taking this trip for granted.  What a glorious time to be free.

(Psst want to buy a spa treatment?  On sale, everything must go.)

Oia1.jpeg

oia2.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Steelydad2021 said:

Bartender in Eden said it took three days to get over the feeling of being watched by this sculpture. Said it "freaked him the heck out".

X sculpture 3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Steelydad2021 said:

X sculpture 4.jpeg

X sculpture 3.jpeg

X sculpture 2.jpeg

X sculpture 1.jpeg

The face chair in the theater seems to be de rigeur for the Edge class ships.

9 hours ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Steelydad2021 - thanks for doing this review - you are hilarious and love your musical references.  

Can I ask if you are in an aft Sky Suite (you mentioned the word "soot" so figured...).  Can I ask what deck you are on?  We are going on a B3B next year and staying in an aft SS, so just wondered....any pics would be much appreciated.😀

Looking forward to your next post.😎

Cheers,

Canuck

Deck 10, mid ship, between the tracks of the Magic Carpet which we have only seen quickly move past the room once and nobody is on it to look in to our room.  Never hear it -- they don't call it Magic for nothing ya know.   No soot issues on the balcony but the neighbors voices sure are amplified when they are out there.  It feels spacious for two and the suite looks as shown on the X website.  You should be real comfy for B3B. Safe has jammed every other day just as we were trying to leave which is frustrating b/c the asst head of housekeeping has to come to reset which has taken around 20 min each time.   

Rock on and Free Brittany ... and the room safe door 😎

12 hours ago, Steelydad2021 said:

Deck 10, mid ship, between the tracks of the Magic Carpet which we have only seen quickly move past the room once and nobody is on it to look in to our room.  Never hear it -- they don't call it Magic for nothing ya know.   No soot issues on the balcony but the neighbors voices sure are amplified when they are out there.  It feels spacious for two and the suite looks as shown on the X website.  You should be real comfy for B3B. Safe has jammed every other day just as we were trying to leave which is frustrating b/c the asst head of housekeeping has to come to reset which has taken around 20 min each time.   

Rock on and Free Brittany ... and the room safe door 😎

Steelydad - Oh my hilarious - Free Brittany (well, really not hilarious...)

Sorry - my mistake - I went back and reread your post and you did not say soot was on your balcony - it was at the pool area - that is why I thought you were in an aft suite.

We have had "safe issues" on a ship once & at various hotels while travelling and it is one of my pet peeves - waiting for someone to come - so frustrating, so I feel your pain and hope you get it sorted out.

Enjoying your report & looking forward to your next post.😁

Cheers,

Canuck

10 hours ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Steelydad - Oh my hilarious - Free Brittany (well, really not hilarious...)

Sorry - my mistake - I went back and reread your post and you did not say soot was on your balcony - it was at the pool area - that is why I thought you were in an aft suite.

We have had "safe issues" on a ship once & at various hotels while travelling and it is one of my pet peeves - waiting for someone to come - so frustrating, so I feel your pain and hope you get it sorted out.

Enjoying your report & looking forward to your next post.😁

Cheers,

Canuck

No worries Canuck, no worries and no soot or sooty smell anywhere since the ship was idling in port on embarkation day but that was long before the latest CDC "guidance" that Greece is Level 4 and different safe issues and its Groundhog Day ... again. 

What's it all mean for the future? Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow and 6 more weeks of restrictions? Who knows? Not me.

Meanwhile, back to trading 4's with Lord Ian of the high seas here on CC.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, Oia pronounced Eeeahh ... 🤫

After the village, X excursion drops us at a winery.  Lovely spot, view of the Apex -- see it way down there?  Support the local economy and all but guessing most would have preferred that time in Oia. (Psst. Wanna buy a case of wine? On sale.  Everything must go).

Speaking of wine, still trying to find that glass of smooth Retsina.  This winery did not have, ship did not have.  This is Greece, yes? Yeah, I know its not that popular back in the states or maybe anywhere outside Greece but GM Chrysler man, don't they drink Greek Retsina wine here?  When in Rome (Santorini?) do as they do?  A lyrical vino pairing for the setting?  Not a drop of Retsina. C'mon man, that's malarkey.  Hurry the bottle, kick off your sneakers. 

Free cheese with that whine at this winery.  We takes what we gets.

Oiaglass.jpeg

29 minutes ago, kevanmia said:

Are they enforcing the Celebrity-curated excursion in Mykonos or can you do your own thing?

That's a tough one to answer. 

Officially, only X guided excursions on Mykonos.  Unofficially, heard of passengers ducking out and wandering town, restaurants, shops w/o getting scolded or flogged.  Also, heard they had a recent spike on the island.   So, not sure about strict enforcement Kevinmia.  Reckon if don't like the rules, wait a minute and they will change.  Difficult to keep up.