Xray Scanning Machines for Edge Embark

Robkat

3 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

I’m currently on the Edge sailing. Here’s what I carried on. We boarded around 4:30 and we unpacked immediately:

864B277A-C786-4473-8A8E-45C2F8AE60F0.jpeg

0D40787B-357E-43D4-B6F4-C091D53A8A9A.jpeg

T&C:  This is awesome!  And of course we know you're on the Edge right now ...we've been following your thread! Very excited that you've answered here!

So ... the bags look a lot like the size of ours.  Ours are 25" from the floor to the top, 18" wide, and 11" deep (outside case dimensions)

We've already heard from a poster about his bags going through the scanners at around this size.  But ... and this is only if you find this easy to do, if you were able to give us your dimensions, it would be great! 

In the meantime, have enjoyed your thread tremendously.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

1 hour ago, Robkat said:

Do you happen to know offhand what the width of your bag is?  I think our suitcases are 28", but thinking about it, I believe that's for the length.  It seems like the concern might be about how wide a bag is, and that would dictate whether it would go through or not.  

Your answer is heartening though!!! 

It’s 25 x 17 x 11/13.5 (expanded) inches. Easy to roll onboard. Under 50 lbs when packed. 

Here’s a note I saved on my iphone in 2016. My case on wheels was purchased at Costco. They may have the complete dimensions. 

My mom’s suitcase was slightly larger than mine. I’ll get a picture of hers. We carried all luggage on board due to the late boarding.

Luggage

Edited by Tee & Chilli

I have never worried about my checked luggage getting to the cabin.  It is not as if hundreds of people going to dozens of destinations are checking their bags in at the same time, and my bags might be mis-loaded onto the wrong airplane.  Once we are at the port terminal, the bags of everyone are going onto the Edge (or whichever ship it is).

I do not leave my carry-on bags in the cabin until the stewards are done.  Per all guidelines, all of my essential medications and valuables are in the carry-on bags, and I am not leaving those in an open cabin, with lots of strangers wandering around the hallways possibly lost.  I bring my carry-on bags to lunch.  Somewhere around 1 or 1:30, our cabin is released, so when we are done eating, I will bring the carry-ons to the cabin.  Our checked bags will show up before dinner.

After a day of travel, I have no desire to drag around our checked bags.  

1 hour ago, ymncruise said:

It’s 25 x 17 x 11/13.5 (expanded) inches. Easy to roll onboard. Under 50 lbs when packed. 

ymnc:  Thanks for this info ... having these dimensions is very useful.  And it's helpful, also, knowing that there are no stairs to navigate during embarkation.  Appreciate you posting this.

T&C:  Thanks so much for posting these pics!  As they say, a picture is worth a 1,000 words!  These bags look about the same size as ours, and if you were able to get them through the scanners, then we can assume that ours will go through too!  Happy cruising!

18 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

After a day of travel, I have no desire to drag around our checked bags

M46LC:  yep, we completely agree.  That's why we started thinking, when we heard that we could access our cabin, that we could bring our bags on and drop them off ... no dragging around.  It's nice to have them there, available to be unpacked whenever we want to ... as opposed to having to wait for them.  But we get that everyone has their preference about how they want to things.  

Thanks for your reply.

2 hours ago, Robkat said:

M46LC:  yep, we completely agree.  That's why we started thinking, when we heard that we could access our cabin, that we could bring our bags on and drop them off ... no dragging around.  It's nice to have them there, available to be unpacked whenever we want to ... as opposed to having to wait for them.  But we get that everyone has their preference about how they want to things.  

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know how far you might have to drag our bags?  It’s not like you jump out of a Uber and walk right in.  They may however work as seats while you wait to board.😉

2 hours ago, Robkat said:

Thanks for your reply.

Enjoy and hope you are happy carrying them on and having them available when you wish…..but do you really stay in your SR waiting for your bags to be delivered? Aren’t there a few things to do between getting on, dropping your carry-ones off, eating and then exploring? 

But if having your luggage right there, go for it. Personally, I’ll have the staff bring them to my SR and if I’m not zipping off for a flight, I’ll let them take them off. And I’ll let the staff do Lots of stuff to make my vacation very easy…..on us! 

den

7 hours ago, Robkat said:

... One new (to us) thing we've learned is that we're able to, upon boarding, immediately head to our cabin and drop off bags.  THis is making us consider hauling on our own main suitcases, rather than dropping them with the porters, and then have to wait until they're delivered.  So ... does anyone know the dimensions of the luggage openings for the X-ray scanner machines?  ...

Hello, Robkat.

One of us has not checked any bags (dockside) in the last twelve years.  His bag (checked for air travel) has been put through cruiseport security machines in about ten different cities (foreign and domestic [including Fort Lauderdale]) -- and then carried to staterooms. 

The dimensions of this bag are 26" (long) X 21.5" (high) X 6" deep.  Whenever it has gone through a scanner, there have been at least two inches of leeway on each side.  That would add 4" to the height dimension (21.5"), for a minimum total of 25.5". 

You'll probably be just fine -- unless your bag(s) is/are significantly larger than the above dimensions.  Best of luck!

8 hours ago, Robkat said:

So ... does anyone know the dimensions of the luggage openings for the X-ray scanner machines?  Our plan to carry on our luggage will be scuppered from the start if the openings won't accommodate our suitcases, which, although not massive, or definitely larger than small carry-on bags.

PS:  We noticed, "Robkat," that the only question you asked in your opening post was this: "... does anyone know the dimensions of the luggage openings for the X-ray scanner machines?"  You didn't ask anyone's opinions regarding what you wish/plan to do.  That is why we felt very bad for you -- that you had to endure reading messages from about six different members, who felt compelled to advise, convince, or almost demand that you not do what you wish/plan to do. 

Although CruiseCritic's rules allow them to post such messages, we think that it was totally inappropriate for them to do so.  Why?  Because each of us has enough work to do to control our own behavior, without thinking that we have a right to control others' behaviors besides (or instead).  Therefore, please accept our apology on behalf of those who acted offensively -- and even those who more mildly sought to suggest/advise -- when you had not asked for suggestions or advice. 

As an old saying goes,

"Never offer unsolicited advice. 

The wise man doesn't need it,

and the fool won't heed it."

We think, "Robkat," that you are a "wise man."

• Like 1

To respond to the original question as to the tunnel size of x-ray scanners, that is dependent on the scanner in use. If the ones at the port are the same as the TSA carry-on screening devices, the typical tunnel size is around 29 inches by 22 inches. While there is some variation among manufacturers, I would guess that 90+% are of that size or substantially so. Note, though, that some TSA scanners have had plates with a smaller opening placed in front of the tunnel to more strictly limit the size of carry-ons, such that the effective opening size is less.

Other baggage scanners have larger openings. For example, ones that are in use in Customs areas for some international airport destinations (i.e., pick up your checked bag, run it through the scanner before exiting Customs) have tunnel sizes around 1 meter by 0.8 meter. I doubt that these are in use at the port, but I have no information confirming or refuting that.

13 hours ago, jg51 said:

The dimensions of this bag are 26" (long) X 21.5" (high) X 6" deep.  Whenever it has gone through a scanner, there have been at least two inches of leeway on each side.  That would add 4" to the height dimension (21.5"), for a minimum total of 25.5". 

You'll probably be just fine -- unless your bag(s) is/are significantly larger than the above dimensions.  Best of luck!

Hi jg51:  Thanks for the luggage dimensions... very helpful!

Thanks also for your supportive comments concerning what we had, and had not, asked in our original post.  We get that people will offer up their opinions and points of view, and we take all responses with a grain of salt.

We've been on CC for many, many years.  And, although we aren't amongst the most prolific posters, we do lurk pretty consistently, and enjoy reading and following the threads.  

We've learned a tremendous amount of info on these forums, and have usually been able to get the info we need whenever we have asked, so we appreciate all who take the time to reply.

As long as everyone acts with respect, it's all good.  And we do really appreciate your comments. 

5 hours ago, ExArkie said:

To respond to the original question as to the tunnel size of x-ray scanners, that is dependent on the scanner in use. If the ones at the port are the same as the TSA carry-on screening devices, the typical tunnel size is around 29 inches by 22 inches. While there is some variation among manufacturers, I would guess that 90+% are of that size or substantially so. Note, though, that some TSA scanners have had plates with a smaller opening placed in front of the tunnel to more strictly limit the size of carry-ons, such that the effective opening size is less.

Other baggage scanners have larger openings. For example, ones that are in use in Customs areas for some international airport destinations (i.e., pick up your checked bag, run it through the scanner before exiting Customs) have tunnel sizes around 1 meter by 0.8 meter. I doubt that these are in use at the port, but I have no information confirming or refuting that.

ExA:  Thanks for this informative reply!  Those dimensions sound good.  That info, combined with the info on luggage size we've received, has pretty well answered the question of whether our bags would make it !through !

Wait, I hadn't heard about this. Usually we both board early with backpacks and have to wait for the room cleaning to finish before we can get into the hallway.  Now we can go directly to the room upon boarding, toss the bags in the room, put some stuff in the safe and head to the pool?   That would be awesome.

-- Kevin

1 hour ago, kevink said:

Wait, I hadn't heard about this. Usually we both board early with backpacks and have to wait for the room cleaning to finish before we can get into the hallway.  Now we can go directly to the room upon boarding, toss the bags in the room, put some stuff in the safe and head to the pool?   That would be awesome.

-- Kevin

Kevin, as is so often the case with Celebrity, the real answer is "it depends."  Sometimes, they close off the hallways with the fire doors and passengers are not allowed in.  Other times, the guests have access to their cabins to drop off luggage.    I personally wait for the "all clear" announcement.

Our checkin time was 1pm.  We don't use huge bags so rolling them onto the ship is about the same as at the airport.  We went straight to our room, unpacked, hit a bar, and went to ocean view for a late lunch.  We've been doing this ever since Celebrity started letting you drop your bags off when you get on the ship.    When the room isn't ready yet, we put items in the safe and shut the door with our bags inside. 

2 hours ago, kevink said:

-- Kevin

Kevin, I think this is the case on most Celebrity ships, maybe not the Constellation.