How does the in room mini-bar work? Can it just be left empty?

shiner6

4 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

Not necessarily.  One time we asked the room steward to please empty the mini-frig. They did so and we never thought anything more about it.  Bev. services re-stocked it and charged us for EVERYTHING that had been removed.  The room steward had stashed it all someplace and didn't tell anybody where it was.  It took awhile to get it all sorted out.

Exactly. That’s why you call someone from Beverage Services to empty it and inventory it at the time. Never get your room steward to empty it.
Although fighting with the front desk over bogus mini fridge charges is certainly one way to kill a sea day, if you’re out of things to do.

4 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Exactly. That’s why you call someone from Beverage Services to empty it and inventory it at the time. Never get your room steward to empty it.
Although fighting with the front desk over bogus mini fridge charges is certainly one way to kill a sea day, if you’re out of things to do.

HaHa.  Agreed.  Luckily, the beverage person found the missing items and squared it all away in typical HAL service style!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Although fighting with the front desk over bogus mini fridge charges is certainly one way to kill a sea day, if you’re out of things to do.oomcsteward do it - 

Never had a problem in all the years of emptying it myself or having room steward do it- which I try to avoid as they are so busy on embarkation day.  As long as he knows, the info gets passed along.  Never any errant charges.

On 8/4/2021 at 11:54 PM, Crew News said:

I learned from many Room Stewards that they are not allowed to touch the minibar since it belongs to Beverage Services.  They just relay the guest's request to have it emptied.  On a few occasions, I have removed the contents and reminded my Room Steward for two days before submitting a Comment Card to the Front Desk  The next morning a very apologetic Beverage Services person took possession of my removed contents.

I was unaware that calling Ships Services was an option but I will add it to the vast amount of information that I have learned here on CC.

Guess each cruise line is different, eh?  We usually just tell our cabin steward and he/she takes care of it.  I will also make a note of Ships Service!

On 8/6/2021 at 12:19 PM, Sharon in AZ said:

I am not the OP but as for the robes--  we don't use them and they take up too much space that I could use for something else.

True, I never thought about that.  The robes are all the same size, the cabins are not.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2021 at 4:47 PM, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Always best to have smeone from Beverage Services to empty it.  

• Like 1