The Daily for Thursday August 05, 2021

richwmn

@smitty34877. A cute picture of a cute Camilla.  We're waving back.

@kazu. Glad your friend's DH is improving.

@Overhead Fred  My 55th reunion was canceled last year and no word if it will happen.  Right now I would skip it with all the new cases.

To everyone who posted pictures of today's port, thank you.  They are all great.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning,

A bit late today, this latest covid testing requirement has everybody scrambling.  We're just going to roll with it.  Try and get appointments and hope for the best.  If we can't sail it's not the end of the world, I've always felt it would be a 50/50 chance anyway.  We can always do a couple of local trips like we did last year if we can't.  The important thing is avoiding the virus and staying healthy.  And there are other things to look forward to, like Fall, and the holiday season!

It's cooled down this morning but the smell from the wildfire smoke is so bad I had to close the windows.  Forecasts continue to predict rain and now it's not so much getting moisture as it is clearing out the air.  Not sure how long we'll benefit, the heat will be returning next week.  The upside are that the days are gradually shortening, summer will be forced out at some point.  

Underwear has a very interesting history, probably not appropriate for the daily, but it was a good read on Wikipedia.  They were once referred to as "unmentionables". Blessings, thoughts, and prayers to those that need them.  Thanks to all the listers!

Have a great day!

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 22

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I think underwear is a good thing, lol. No slimy oysters for me! I used to work like a dog, then I retired, so no longer unless it's a project I want to do.

Haha on the quote.

The meal sounds interesting, although a bit involved. I'll pass on the drinks.

I haven't been to today's destination. Appreciate the pictures.

Another nice day here. I just spent an hour on the phone getting my MRIs scheduled. Same part of the body, but 2 separate ones are needed.

@smitty34877 Prayers for Tana. And we like any pics of Miss Camilla! She's waving to us, lol.

@grapau27 Your beach tent comes in very handy.

@St. Louis Sal I'm glad the LP wasn't too bad and that you may be eligible for other trials.

@ger_77 Continued prayers for your friend. Enjoy your family's visit.

@cunnorl HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

@mamaofami It sounds like Sam is doing well and his doctors are on top of things.

@NextOne Prayers for your DDIL. Sad she has this new issue on top of long hauler symptoms.

@garlictown Safe travels.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

@St. Louis Sal Encouraging news on your LP.  I had one years ago and had a really bad headache for about a day afterwards.   How are you dealing with that?

@NextOne Your poor DDIL.   I hope the lung issue is resolved quickly.

@Overhead Fred My 50th reunion is at the end of August.  I made the decision weeks ago to not attend due to Delta Variant, some of the attendees being anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers.   I have an Alaskan cruise less than two weeks later and I didn't want to risk that for people I haven't seen in 50 years.  

@smitty34877 Love the pictures of Miss Camilla.  Keep them coming!  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I think underwear is a good thing, lol. No slimy oysters for me! I used to work like a dog, then I retired, so no longer unless it's a project I want to do.

Haha on the quote.

The meal sounds interesting, although a bit involved. I'll pass on the drinks.

I haven't been to today's destination. Appreciate the pictures.

Another nice day here. I just spent an hour on the phone getting my MRIs scheduled. Same part of the body, but 2 separate ones are needed.

@smitty34877 Prayers for Tana. And we like any pics of Miss Camilla! She's waving to us, lol.

@grapau27 Your beach tent comes in very handy.

@St. Louis Sal I'm glad the LP wasn't too bad and that you may be eligible for other trials.

@ger_77 Continued prayers for your friend. Enjoy your family's visit.

@cunnorl HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

@mamaofami It sounds like Sam is doing well and his doctors are on top of things.

@NextOne Prayers for your DDIL. Sad she has this new issue on top of long hauler symptoms.

@garlictown Safe travels.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone!

Thank you and good luck with your MRIs.

Graham.

• Like 9

With the changes announced yesterday I cancelled my Sep 4th Alaska cruise.

With a little more notice, I might have done differently, but today I got 100% back as FCC, tomorrow nothing.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, richwmn said:

With a little more notice, I might have done differently, but today I got 100% back as FCC, tomorrow nothing.

Why, "tomorrow nothing"?  (Sorry you had to cancel.)

• Like 7

Almost a good afternoon here to you all!

Interesting days.  My working like a dog day is over!  I have never liked Oysters.  

Had another great bike ride this morning.  Good for the body and soul and keeps my mind off of all the changing news about masks and covid tests etc. for cruises.  We will keep our Sept. 12 cruise  yet for a while.  The grandkids will be back in school within walking distance by then and we will be retired from "transportation" duty!!  LOL. 

Sun is a bright red today.  Smoky and haze here.  Kind of an eerie glow to everything outdoors.  

Off to Costco.  More people are wearing masks here again now but not mandated.

Stay well and safe everyone.

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

He'd be inside the 30 day cut off.   

Too bad, you'd think they would make some adjustments to that because of the sudden changes that have been made to the sailings.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 12

21 minutes ago, richwmn said:

We have a few days to ponder our possibilities.  We don't want to over react, but we don't want to bury our heads in the sand as well.  This is a tough call.  I think you did the right thing.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning from Ketchikan.   Last night we had a wonderful meal at the Tamarind.  The staff had switched to KN95 masks.  This morning more staff have switched to them as well.   Nothing has been announced to us about any changes while on board.

We don't have anything planned although I do hope to try a reindeer burger.

20210805_074551.jpg

Not sure how different Alaskan reindeer burgers would be from those in Iceland, but I loved my Icelandic one. A bit denser than a hamburger, but tasty. 

• Like 13

I haven’t had much time to get to the Daily for a while.  We arrived in Seattle on Monday afternoon and have been enjoying our days with our son and family.  Our daughter and son-in-law arrived last night.  Our 60th Anniversary is today, and will celebrate in our son’s backyard, with the addition of our nephew and his wife! The weather is perfect. Hoping all works out for our cruise on Saturday.  So far, we’ll still be onboard.

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, bobpatj said:

I haven’t had much time to get to the Daily for a while.  We arrived in Seattle on Monday afternoon and have been enjoying our days with our son and family.  Our daughter and son-in-law arrived last night.  Our 60th Anniversary is today, and will celebrate in our son’s backyard, with the addition of our nephew and his wife! The weather is perfect. Hoping all works out for our cruise on Saturday.  So far, we’ll still be onboard.

7cdcffcb63097ea3e9f629bf99578a0b.jpg.a406aa191a4a237c119d638807857bef.jpg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, NextOne said:

Please keep my DDIL in your thoughts in prayers - she's a covid long-hauler(chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia) and now has a collapsed lung! 

I am so sorry to hear this.  Prayers winging their way. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, everyone!

My goodness, so much going on here!  Love hearing the positives, but those posters with issues are certainly outweighing them. ☹️

I just finished “working like a dog” in the kitchen…making banana pudding (from scratch, and my first time 🙃) for DH’s birthday tomorrow.  I usually bake him a rhubarb pie, but he’s been slyly mentioning banana pudding for the past month or so.  Here in Florida you have to get your rhubarb frozen.

F8AEB0F5-B01C-410B-9BAA-FDE09C06C71D.thumb.jpeg.12ccfc1e9a170fd92cdfa2aac19dd921.jpeg

Love oysters steamed, grilled or Rockefeller — forget raw!  These are the Rockefeller’s we made for this past NYE.

92DF4212-5E81-4E4F-87E6-4AFF89468AB7.thumb.jpeg.ea99b63ae4660bdc1190ea1c31f9e444.jpeg

52AC5D99-C8AC-446E-A984-BD87C3B7F588.thumb.jpeg.ec15a9582d67de636fb009615a93d758.jpeg

I have noticed that I have to refresh my iPad screen whenever I get the message that I can’t “like” a post.

• Like 20

3 minutes ago, bobpatj said:

FB_IMG_1621430674349.jpg

• Like 11

1 minute ago, travelingbums said:

What changes have been announced for the Alaska cruises, I have been out of town?

Masking required for indoor public spaces and starting on August 14th, evidence of a negative COVID test (PCR or antigen) that was medically supervised 72 hours or less from boarding.

• Like 11

34 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Bummer, Rich. But I understand. 

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, richwmn said:

We're sad about this in the r/c but completely understand, the whole thing is a big mess!

• Like 8