Any Canadians now cruising

trtog7

10 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Not really. It would make up for some of those days we lost due to cancellations.

Now if they would only give loyalty credit (at double points of course) for those extra days we would be forced to “endure” on the ship…if it happened. One can always dream, right?

It's too bad that you can't post your results from boarding with proof of vaccination.  We are supposed to sail on the 22nd, but are going to have to cancel because I am mixed vaccination.  If they only look at page 2, then I'd pass, but can't take that chance at the port.

2 hours ago, archer_310 said:

It's too bad that you can't post your results from boarding with proof of vaccination.  We are supposed to sail on the 22nd, but are going to have to cancel because I am mixed vaccination.  If they only look at page 2, then I'd pass, but can't take that chance at the port.

I do not think I will have data access to share info with you here before we return but if they have free wifi in the terminal when we board, I will try to post back here before we actually board the ship but after we clear check-in. 

As we all know from our calls to RCCL, you can call 3 times, talk to three different people and get three different answers. Even if the agent I get only looks at the 2nd dose sheet, it is not a guarantee a different agent would do things differently. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

I do not think I will have data access to share info with you here before we return but if they have free wifi in the terminal when we board, I will try to post back here before we actually board the ship but after we clear check-in. 

As we all know from our calls to RCCL, you can call 3 times, talk to three different people and get three different answers. Even if the agent I get only looks at the 2nd dose sheet, it is not a guarantee a different agent would do things differently. 

Exactly.  Even if you find that they don't care about sheet #1, I can't risk the major $ to fly there and find out that another agent does and then I'm screwed.

• Like 1

My family is in Seattle, and today we board Ovation of the Seas for our Alaska cruise!

We’ve been very fortunate  as all the details (except one) have lined up. We are from Ottawa, and all received 2 doses of the same vaccine (this was just luck, we didn’t search or vaccine shop). We already had a 2 week vacation planned in the Rockies, so when the Alaska cruises opened we decided to add a week to the end of our vacation. 

1.  To cruise, we had to be fully vaccinated with the same vaccine. CHECK. Bringing our 2 pieces of paper showing proof of each dose. Really wish there was something more official looking, or standardized across the country. 

2. Travel to the US for non-essential reasons. Still watching the border situation. We were hoping to be able to keep our rental car and drive to Seattle, but air is still the only way to enter the US right now. We flew  Calgary to Vancouver to Seattle yesterday, very smooth, slight delay in Vancouver, but all went well. 
3. Flying to USA requires a negative COVID test (antigen or PCR) taken within 3 days. I felt rapid test is best (cheaper and quicker results) and researched places that offered this test valid for travel. We drove Jasper to Edmonton airport, had our test done and paper results in hand within 30 min for all 4 of us! Quick and easy. Calgary airport also provides this test, but we were arriving too late and leaving too early the next morning (testing only available 8-5pm). 
4. Cruise also requires a negative COVID test…we only stayed one night in Seattle, so our test results (needed to fly here) are still valid.

5. We knew we had to be flexible/open minded and discussed back up plans if things didn’t go well. Luckily, airlines and hotels and the cruise lines too  have great policies for last minute cancellations. 
6. We need to have a PCR test (within 3 days) to come back to Canada. RC provides this test to those who need to have it, we will book a time for the day before the cruise ends.

7. RC policy - if one of us tests positive on the cruise, they will provide all support and arrange for private transport home!

8. Our  only uncertainty right now - how to get from Seattle to Vancouver? Because we waited too long, prices of flights are outrageous. We were hoping to take Amtrak or a bus, but since they announced today that the border remains closed, those transportation means are still not possible. We do have a Vancouver- Ottawa flight booked.  During our cruise I’ll be looking at our options. Maybe private transport to the border, walk across, then Uber/taxi to our hotel in Vancouver? We’ll figure something out.

I’ll try to respond to comments/questions, depending on how well the internet works on the ship. Right now, I’ve got to get this excited family fed and we are off to Alaska! 😁

• Like 6

Check on line for private transport, even from Canada.  We returned land border at Buffalo and had a airline limo company from Pearson pick us up in Buffalo and take us across the border.  Make sure you check to ensure you have the proper tests.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, RLK33853 said:

What was the cost of the test at the Edmonton Airport?

$75 per person ($315 total including taxes for 4 of us). Sure hope this testing requirement won’t become the norm for future travel, and that proof of vaccination will be enough.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 4:42 PM, Magicat said:

Check on line for private transport, even from Canada.  We returned land border at Buffalo and had a airline limo company from Pearson pick us up in Buffalo and take us across the border.  Make sure you check to ensure you have the proper tests.

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like a rental car might actually be available for a 1 way drop off. Or Uber is another possibility. Now wondering what to put as a quarantine plan in the ArriveCAN app, considering we cross the border Washington to BC on Aug 27, have plans to stay in downtown Vancouver for 1 night and fly home to Ottawa on the 28. A little complicated as we aren’t arriving in our home province/town.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2021 at 7:07 AM, RLK33853 said:

Thanks for the info.  Not that I want to pay $75 pp but it is a lot better than prices I've heard of that can run into the hundreds.

Our understanding is that it depends on the test.  Antigen tests are relatively inexpensive. $40-$75USD w/ fast results

PCR  test required to re- enter Canada (at the moment)  are more expensive.  We have priced them in a few locations that we have or are considering for travel.

Greece:   40-60Euro (Gov't imposed a max of 60E)

Panama:   $200 USD

Mexico:  $175-225 USD

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 1:16 PM, karebare22 said:

My family is in Seattle, and today we board Ovation of the Seas for our Alaska cruise!

We’ve been very fortunate  as all the details (except one) have lined up. We are from Ottawa, and all received 2 doses of the same vaccine (this was just luck, we didn’t search or vaccine shop). We already had a 2 week vacation planned in the Rockies, so when the Alaska cruises opened we decided to add a week to the end of our vacation. 

1.  To cruise, we had to be fully vaccinated with the same vaccine. CHECK. Bringing our 2 pieces of paper showing proof of each dose. Really wish there was something more official looking, or standardized across the country. 

2. Travel to the US for non-essential reasons. Still watching the border situation. We were hoping to be able to keep our rental car and drive to Seattle, but air is still the only way to enter the US right now. We flew  Calgary to Vancouver to Seattle yesterday, very smooth, slight delay in Vancouver, but all went well. 
3. Flying to USA requires a negative COVID test (antigen or PCR) taken within 3 days. I felt rapid test is best (cheaper and quicker results) and researched places that offered this test valid for travel. We drove Jasper to Edmonton airport, had our test done and paper results in hand within 30 min for all 4 of us! Quick and easy. Calgary airport also provides this test, but we were arriving too late and leaving too early the next morning (testing only available 8-5pm). 
4. Cruise also requires a negative COVID test…we only stayed one night in Seattle, so our test results (needed to fly here) are still valid.

5. We knew we had to be flexible/open minded and discussed back up plans if things didn’t go well. Luckily, airlines and hotels and the cruise lines too  have great policies for last minute cancellations. 
6. We need to have a PCR test (within 3 days) to come back to Canada. RC provides this test to those who need to have it, we will book a time for the day before the cruise ends.

7. RC policy - if one of us tests positive on the cruise, they will provide all support and arrange for private transport home!

8. Our  only uncertainty right now - how to get from Seattle to Vancouver? Because we waited too long, prices of flights are outrageous. We were hoping to take Amtrak or a bus, but since they announced today that the border remains closed, those transportation means are still not possible. We do have a Vancouver- Ottawa flight booked.  During our cruise I’ll be looking at our options. Maybe private transport to the border, walk across, then Uber/taxi to our hotel in Vancouver? We’ll figure something out.

I’ll try to respond to comments/questions, depending on how well the internet works on the ship. Right now, I’ve got to get this excited family fed and we are off to Alaska! 😁

Ditto.

We traveled to Fort Lauderdale on August 11th and sailed on the Odyssey on August 14th.  We disembarked on August 22nd and flew home to London, Ontario today (the 23rd).  Everything you said above is almost identical to what we encountered and did.

We flew back to Detroit and I hired a taxi company to drive us across to Windsor.  I do not know if UBER would count or not.  They had to have a valid taxi license to be considered an essential service and permitted to drive us into Canada.  I do not know what UBER drivers have as proof in that regard.

One warning, our driver told the Canada Border agent that he was dropping us and then getting a bite to eat before heading back to the US.  They denied him entry because he is only permitted to drop his passengers, NOTHING else, then return to the US.  They permitted us to get out of the vehicle and walk about 100 yards to exit the border crossing area where I had arranged for a buddy to pick us up.

• Like 1

We are cruising on the Celebrity Equinox this Friday, August 27.

We just went to Shoppers and got the $40 Rapid Antigen test.  Super easy process, both negative.  The result sheet looks good, she typed it in and included our birthdates and passport numbers and it says Rapid Antigen Test, which Celebrity says is good, and it has all the information on it required by the CDC Airlines check list, so I think/hope we are good to go.

Nice to have that negative test done, now vacation is starting to feel real!

• Like 5

The testing isn't so much of a big deal to me as is the 14-day quarantine in a hotel!  That is what is preventing me from cruising right now.

At least if you are staying at an all-inclusive resort, some resorts let you stay for free if you test positive as part of their covid-19 protocols.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

The testing isn't so much of a big deal to me as is the 14-day quarantine in a hotel!  That is what is preventing me from cruising right now.

At least if you are staying at an all-inclusive resort, some resorts let you stay for free if you test positive as part of their covid-19 protocols.

For now, I'm somewhat relying on the below from Celebrity's website:

Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before October 31, 2021 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.*
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Travelling Party.

Being just back from a cruise on the Odyssey last week, I wanted to share how the PCR testing worked for us personally on the ship that we used to fly home.  I know that Don from Ottawa runs a travel Blog and he had a horrible time coming home from his Celebrity trip a week before we cruised since his test was lost and it took him another 5 days or so to make it home (flight cancellations for him as well).

Our experience could not have gone any better.  We went to Guest Services on day 7 of our 8 day cruise.  We booked PCR tests with them for the six of us at 6 pm on the following (day 8 - our last full day of our cruise).  At 5:55 pm we headed down to medical on deck 2.  The door was closed, so I used the phone there and called them.  They opened the door 2 minutes later.  I was surprised how big the medical area on the Odyssey was once the door opened.  10 minutes later, all 6 of us were done our tests.  It was the first time for 4 of the 6 of us getting a PCR test.  It was nowhere near as bad as I had expected.

We went to our dinner in the MDR at 6:45 pm and by the time we were back in our cabins at 8 pm, there were sealed envelopes sitting on our beds with the results in them.  They provided a 2-page document that was very detailed compared to the test results I received back in Ontario from the government and the rapid test I paid for with Switch Health to board the ship.  We were nervous opening them to see the results, but looking back, if they knew we were positive, they would have been tracking us down on the ship.

When I had to fill in the ArriveCan app info to return to Canada, it asked what country the PCR test was performed in.  I did not know how to answer, so I chose USA.  When I presented the copies of our tests to the Canadian Border Agent when crossing the border to Canada the next day, he seemed very confused when I told him the test was done at sea and not actually in a country, and that was not an option on the ArriveCan app.  I am guessing they had never seen a PCR test done at sea before.  After a 5-minute chat with his supervisor, we were cleared and back in Canada.

To any vaccinated Canadian considering going on a cruise in the near future with RCCL, here is my recommendation...

GO!!!

The only reason I would not recommend someone to go is if you are the type of person who cannot handle the stress of needing to know everything in advance.  Rules changed constantly prior to the cruise, it was nerve-wracking waiting for the test results to come back prior to sailing, ports could be changed at a moment's notice, hurricane season is upon us (we were very lucky and avoided 3 tropical storms that occurred in our area during our 8-day cruise).

Do not worry about masking rules.  Do not worry about your safely while on the ship (EVERY time we touched our cabin door handle it was still wet from being wiped down).  The crew were so excited to have all of us passengers back aboard, likely even more happy than we were to be aboard.  Our ship was only 20% occupied.  Crew outnumbered guests.  Service was beyond what you could possibly imagine.  The energy of everyone, passengers and crew, was sky-high.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

We are cruising on the Celebrity Equinox this Friday, August 27.

We just went to Shoppers and got the $40 Rapid Antigen test.  Super easy process, both negative.  The result sheet looks good, she typed it in and included our birthdates and passport numbers and it says Rapid Antigen Test, which Celebrity says is good, and it has all the information on it required by the CDC Airlines check list, so I think/hope we are good to go.

Nice to have that negative test done, now vacation is starting to feel real!

Enjoy your cruise ! We are booked for the same ship Nov 19.

the one thing I am stressing about is the test to come home. We are spending one night post cruise in a hotel and flying home one day after the cruise. Could I please trouble you to report back how the testing was done

on Equinox? The experience on RCCL sounds fantastic but I suspect our

sailing might have more pax on board.( Thanksgiving sailing for USA)

thank you very much !

9 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Being just back from a cruise on the Odyssey last week, I wanted to share how the PCR testing worked for us personally on the ship that we used to fly home.  I know that Don from Ottawa runs a travel Blog and he had a horrible time coming home from his Celebrity trip a week before we cruised since his test was lost and it took him another 5 days or so to make it home (flight cancellations for him as well).

Our experience could not have gone any better.  We went to Guest Services on day 7 of our 8 day cruise.  We booked PCR tests with them for the six of us at 6 pm on the following (day 8 - our last full day of our cruise).  At 5:55 pm we headed down to medical on deck 2.  The door was closed, so I used the phone there and called them.  They opened the door 2 minutes later.  I was surprised how big the medical area on the Odyssey was once the door opened.  10 minutes later, all 6 of us were done our tests.  It was the first time for 4 of the 6 of us getting a PCR test.  It was nowhere near as bad as I had expected.

We went to our dinner in the MDR at 6:45 pm and by the time we were back in our cabins at 8 pm, there were sealed envelopes sitting on our beds with the results in them.  They provided a 2-page document that was very detailed compared to the test results I received back in Ontario from the government and the rapid test I paid for with Switch Health to board the ship.  We were nervous opening them to see the results, but looking back, if they knew we were positive, they would have been tracking us down on the ship.

When I had to fill in the ArriveCan app info to return to Canada, it asked what country the PCR test was performed in.  I did not know how to answer, so I chose USA.  When I presented the copies of our tests to the Canadian Border Agent when crossing the border to Canada the next day, he seemed very confused when I told him the test was done at sea and not actually in a country, and that was not an option on the ArriveCan app.  I am guessing they had never seen a PCR test done at sea before.  After a 5-minute chat with his supervisor, we were cleared and back in Canada.

To any vaccinated Canadian considering going on a cruise in the near future with RCCL, here is my recommendation...

GO!!!

The only reason I would not recommend someone to go is if you are the type of person who cannot handle the stress of needing to know everything in advance.  Rules changed constantly prior to the cruise, it was nerve-wracking waiting for the test results to come back prior to sailing, ports could be changed at a moment's notice, hurricane season is upon us (we were very lucky and avoided 3 tropical storms that occurred in our area during our 8-day cruise).

Do not worry about masking rules.  Do not worry about your safely while on the ship (EVERY time we touched our cabin door handle it was still wet from being wiped down).  The crew were so excited to have all of us passengers back aboard, likely even more happy than we were to be aboard.  Our ship was only 20% occupied.  Crew outnumbered guests.  Service was beyond what you could possibly imagine.  The energy of everyone, passengers and crew, was sky-high.

Sounds wonderful!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brockmom said:

Enjoy your cruise ! We are booked for the same ship Nov 19.

the one thing I am stressing about is the test to come home. We are spending one night post cruise in a hotel and flying home one day after the cruise. Could I please trouble you to report back how the testing was done

on Equinox? The experience on RCCL sounds fantastic but I suspect our

sailing might have more pax on board.( Thanksgiving sailing for USA)

thank you very much !

Yep, I will report back.  The report from Royal sounds like what is supposed to happen on Celebrity as well.  The issue with Don that Russ mentioned just appeared to be a perfect storm of mistakes.  

As an additional note, I uploaded the $40 Shoppers Rapid Antigen Test results in the Air Canada App this morning at check in and we got the emails quickly that the document was approved, so that is good.

• Like 2