Aug 7th W-E-W Caribbean Edge Cruise - B3B

Ken the cruiser

So we learned a few things when we went to Raw On 5 last night. First, we found if we ordered the Alaska California (sushi) Roll, crab cake and then the Tower, it was definitely too much for us. But, since they didn’t have any chocolate desserts other than ice cream, that kept us from going too much overboard.

Second, after adding a $25 tip to the “a la carte” bill, we found out the restaurant staff doesn’t get to share it, but rather it gets put into a combined “ship-wide” tip collection fund dispersed after the cruise to all the servers. We thought that was odd, but will remember that at the end of the cruise when we start passing out our extra nonrefundable OBC as tips, of which we will have plenty thanks to the CwC Best Price Offer promotion we tapped into prior to the cruise. 😎

So far we have enjoyed all the specialty dining restaurants, but we also enjoy eating in Luminae. So, in the future if we are in a SS but have to spend our own money to eat in a specialty restaurant, I’m not sure we will. The food as well as the chocolate desserts are that good IOHO in the Luminae.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So far we have enjoyed all the specialty dining restaurants, but we also enjoy eating in Luminae. So, in the future if we are in a SS but have to spend our own money to eat in a specialty restaurant, I’m not sure we will. The food as well as the chocolate desserts are that good IOHO in the Luminae.

My sister and BIL got off the Edge last weekend in a Villa Suite and they said the same about the food quality in Luminae, they said going forward nothing but suites when cruising with X. This was their first suite as they normally cruise in Aqua and they loved everything about the Retreat experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So we learned a few things when we went to Raw On 5 last night. First, we found if we ordered the Alaska California (sushi) Roll, crab cake and then the Tower, it was definitely too much for us. But, since they didn’t have any chocolate desserts other than ice cream, that kept us from going too much overboard.

Second, after adding a $25 tip to the “a la carte” bill, we found out the restaurant staff doesn’t get to share it, but rather it gets put into a combined “ship-wide” tip collection fund dispersed after the cruise to all the servers. We thought that was odd, but will remember that at the end of the cruise when we start passing out our extra nonrefundable OBC as tips, of which we will have plenty thanks to the CwC Best Price Offer promotion we tapped into prior to the cruise. 😎

Great information on the tips being shared. Wasn’t aware of that and will use cash to award individuals when need be. 

Also great to know that the food is that good in Luminae. Do you find Luminae’s food to be better on the Edge specifically than other Luminae’s across the fleet? Thanks!

45 minutes ago, CruisinBanka said:

Great information on the tips being shared. Wasn’t aware of that and will use cash to award individuals when need be. 

Also great to know that the food is that good in Luminae. Do you find Luminae’s food to be better on the Edge specifically than other Luminae’s across the fleet? Thanks!

The only other time we were in a SS was on the Reflection for a 21 day B2B in early 2019 and we had the same wonderful opinion about the Luminae then as well. However, on that cruise they used their 14 day menu rather than the 7 day menu they’re using on these 7 day Edge cruises we’re on.

15 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The only other time we were in a SS was on the Reflection for a 21 day B2B in early 2019 and we had the same wonderful opinion about the Luminae then as well. However, on that cruise they used their 14 day menu rather than the 7 day menu they’re using on these 7 day Edge cruises we’re on.

🤙

On 8/14/2021 at 10:54 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

Yup, but heading now towards our home near Montgomery AL. Hopefully it will weaken before it gets there. One can hope anyway. 😎

Hi Ken the Cruiser. What town are you from?

Also, were you given a Covid test while on board for your b2b2b cruises ?

To all you BtoB cruisers, were discounts every offered on the Edge class speciatly restaurants?

We are on the Apex in October, but haven't seen the first night discount. 

I had an X person that told me they don't discount specialty dining on Edge class.

2 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Hi Ken the Cruiser. What town are you from?

Also, were you given a Covid test while on board for your b2b2b cruises ?

We live near Montgomery. Yes, we got an antigen test the day before transition day around 8 am and if we didn’t get contacted within an hour, we were to assume our test was negative. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GREG781 said:

In the Sky Suite, are the alcoholic drinks in the mini fridge included, or do they still have the card with a fee schedule? Thanks for the info.

Yes, they are free. Just tell your Personal Retreat Host, previously known as your butler, what you would like. For us there was always water and beer in our mini fridge. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

To all you BtoB cruisers, were discounts every offered on the Edge class speciatly restaurants?

We are on the Apex in October, but haven't seen the first night discount. 

I had an X person that told me they don't discount specialty dining on Edge class.

Only when we prebooked them on the website prior to the cruise, and if I remember correctly it was only on the Eden on our first leg. We have yet to be approached by anyone onboard offering a discount.

23 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We live near Montgomery. Yes, we got an antigen test the day before transition day around 8 am and if we didn’t get contacted within an hour, we were to assume our test was negative. 

Thanks for the reply and great info on your cruise. We do a b2b on the Apex in Nov.

I grew up in Montgomery sometime last century.

21 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Only when we prebooked them on the website prior to the cruise, and if I remember correctly it was only on the Eden on our first leg. We have yet to be approached by anyone onboard offering a discount.

It doesn't show up, even for Eden. Maybe because it is a short cruise and they think they can get enough people to come. BUT, I do not see a lot of sold cabins on the cruise and it is beyond final payment. 

Interesting observation on this Edge cruise (8/14) versus the last one (8/7). On the last cruise there were 5 unvaccinated passengers over 12 years old. On this cruise there are 0 unvaccinated passengers over 12 due to the strict St Thomas requirements.

On the last cruise there were security personnel visible on decks 4 and 5 near the Martini Bar as well as in other public areas around the ship. On this cruise there have been none visible from what we have seen. I guess one might draw the conclusion X is taking this masking wearing seriously when it comes to unvaccinated passengers in public areas. I could be wrong, but just thought it was an interesting tidbit. It will be interesting to see on the next cruise when we head back to the western Caribbean if we notice security personnel once again out and about around the ship, especially if we have unvaccinated passengers over 12. 😎

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Yes, they are free. Just tell your Personal Retreat Host, previously known as your butler, what you would like. For us there was always water and beer in our mini fridge. 😎

Ken

The mini fridge drinks are included with the Sky suite? We are in a SS on August 28th and was not aware of this. I thought you had to purchase the additional benefit even if you had the beverage package. That includes vodka and other type liquors? 🍸

Cheers! 

31 minutes ago, countess5 said:

Ken

The mini fridge drinks are included with the Sky suite? We are in a SS on August 28th and was not aware of this. I thought you had to purchase the additional benefit even if you had the beverage package. That includes vodka and other type liquors? 🍸

Cheers! 

Let me rephrase my response. Our butler when we ask him to replaces the water and Heineken beer in our mini fridge at no charge. Not quite sure about vodka and other types of liquor.

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Let me rephrase my response. Our butler when we ask him to replaces the water and Heineken beer in our mini fridge at no charge. Not quite sure about vodka and other types of liquor.

Thanks!

I’ll check with our host when we check in. 

Have enjoyed following your thread. Thank you for all the info provided.

Cheers!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Minibar drinks are generally not free in a SS or CS suite.  But the butler will put in things there (soft drinks and beer) that you request for your cabin.  It is a fine line.  Be careful and speak to your butler and room steward in advance to make sure of the policy.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Once you start sailing suites you are hooked.  Particularly if your spouse enjoys them.😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Minibar drinks are generally not free in a SS or CS suite.  But the butler will put in things there (soft drinks and beer) that you request for your cabin.  It is a fine line.  Be careful and speak to your butler and room steward in advance to make sure of the policy.

Thanks

It’s more about convenience than anything. Have the beverage package so can just bring things back to the cabin. 

First time on Edge type class and so getting use to the Sky suite rules. Seems to really be like a JR Suite with some extra benefits. 

Cheers! 

1 minute ago, countess5 said:

Thanks

It’s more about convenience than anything. Have the beverage package so can just bring things back to the cabin. 

First time on Edge type class and so getting use to the Sky suite rules. Seems to really be like a JR Suite with some extra benefits. 

Cheers! 

Hi PA neighbor!  Are you referring to the JS on RCCL? We have sailed RCCL quite a bit in the past.  The JS is about the same size as a Sky Suite.  That is where similarities end.  Really get nothing with the JS.  Just the space.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Hi PA neighbor!  Are you referring to the JS on RCCL? We have sailed RCCL quite a bit in the past.  The JS is about the same size as a Sky Suite.  That is where similarities end.  Really get nothing with the JS.  Just the space.

The same thing for a Signature Suite on HAL, about same size as Sky on X but with no additional useful benefits over other balcony cabins. What is worse, a SS on HAL will cost about the same as a Sky on X. HAL Neptune suites are a total joke compared to the Retreat on X.  Our HAL cruise nest year in a Signature Suite will be our last with them, only have it booked because of cruise credits we need to use up.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes, RCCL. 

Have sailed other suites on X, just not Sky. 

Learned RCCL JR suites were not worth the cost unless you needed more space. 

Really like the Sky Suite offerings. 

Did not mean to take the thread off track. 

Appreciate all the feedback.

Cheers!