Aug 7th W-E-W Caribbean Edge Cruise - B3B

Ken the cruiser

I do have a question for anyone who has sailed on the Edge on either the Aug 7, Aug 14 and/or Aug 21 sailings that were (are) in an Infinite Balcony. With the heat and humidity like it has been throughout August in the Caribbean, have you been able to cruise much with your window open?

I know for me on my SS balcony, my DW only allows me to keep the sliding door cracked about 4” max so I can get internet access on the balcony. Any more, since the AC shuts down if our door is not closed completely, and our cabin starts heating up big time. I was just wondering, and probably others do to, how that works if you want to sit on your “porch” with the window open in your Infinite Balcony cabin?

Update: Wow! I just closed my balcony door as a test and I’ve still got 2 out of 3 bars out on the balcony and I was able to post this update. I just scored big with my DW who loves her AC! Yes! That wasn’t the case 2 days ago. Maybe that extra 1 mbps today is making the difference. Who knows, who cares! 😎

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I do have a question for anyone who has sailed on the Edge on either the Aug 7, Aug 14 and/or Aug 21 sailings that were (are) in an Infinite Balcony. With the heat and humidity like it has been throughout August in the Caribbean, have you been able to cruise much with your window open?

I know for me on my SS balcony, my DW only allows me to keep the sliding door cracked about 4” max so I can get internet access on the balcony. Any more, since the AC shuts down if our door is not closed completely, and our cabin starts heating up big time. I was just wondering, and probably others do to, how that works if you want to sit on your “porch” with the window open in your Infinite Balcony cabin?

Update: Wow! I just closed my balcony door as a test and I’ve still got 2 out of 3 bars out on the balcony and I was able to post this update. I just scored big with my DW who loves her AC! Yes! That wasn’t the case 2 days ago. Maybe that extra 1 mbps today is making the difference. Who knows, who cares! 😎

I get your concern with IV's.  That is why I was thrilled to discover a sunset veranda become available and was able to grab it.  We are on next week and looking forward to the ship, but the IV was going to be interesting for an AC lover and balcony lover.  Finding the SV was huge for this trip.

Thanks for the updates.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruisinBanka said:

Ken, on a different topic, curious if they still have Art Auctions onboard , and if they do, in what venue due they hold it?  If they don’t, are they still selling Art onboard, as I notice they still have Art seminars? Thanks 

Yes, they definitely have art auctions! What would a Celebrity cruise be without art auctions! 😎

The location tomorrow  is the Destiny Gateway #2.

3 hours ago, LidoBoy said:

I get your concern with IV's.  That is why I was thrilled to discover a sunset veranda become available and was able to grab it.  We are on next week and looking forward to the ship, but the IV was going to be interesting for an AC lover and balcony lover.  Finding the SV was huge for this trip.

Thanks for the updates.

We feel the same way. We were booked in an IV on our Nov 4th Apex cruise, then switched to a porthole veranda which actually has a separate veranda. Then a SV popped up and like you we grabbed it and didn’t look back! 😎

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We feel the same way. We were booked in an IV on our Nov 4th Apex cruise, then switched to a porthole veranda which actually has a separate veranda. Then a SV popped up and like you we grabbed it and didn’t look back! 😎

Why are SV cabins so popular? Thank you!

3 hours ago, Oxo said:

Why are SV cabins so popular? Thank you!

There have, of course, been a variety of threads about this subject. But for me it pretty much comes down to how much do you value a view from your balcony. For example, aft-facing balcony views are pretty cool when you’re leaving a port, going through the Panama Canal locks or cruising through the Norwegian fjords. Then there are the scenic and wildlife views associated with an Alaska cruise!

Also, with regards to Edge class ships if the price for a suite is not in your budget, how much do you value sitting outside on your balcony? In our case sitting out on the balcony when at sea is huge for me. However, my DW much prefers remaining inside in the AC, especially on hot days, unless there is something she needs to briefly come out to see such as a pod of dolphins swimming by or something else cool to see. So she would be fine with an IV cabin.

We tried Le Petit Chef last night and had a wonderful time watching the “show”, but more importantly all of the dishes were surprisingly very tasty; although we did pass on the cold split pea soup for a very tasty salad to start things off!! On top of that they offered us a wine pairing package for only $15 per person and the wine was quite tasty as well! 😎

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We tried Le Petit Chef last night and had a wonderful time watching the “show”, but more importantly all of the dishes were surprisingly very tasty; although we did pass on the cold split pea soup for a very tasty salad to start things off!! On top of that they offered us a wine pairing package for only $15 per person and the wine was quite tasty as well! 😎

Was the wine paring package covered by the premium drinks package?

26 minutes ago, kikitaz said:

Ken, thank you for taking us with you on your vacation, your posts have been great!  Random question....we are in a SS so eating in Luminae.  We are late diners, do you know how late we can eat?  Thank you!

Luminae is open for dinner from 6pm to 9pm.

33 minutes ago, kikitaz said:

Ken, thank you for taking us with you on your vacation, your posts have been great!  Random question....we are in a SS so eating in Luminae.  We are late diners, do you know how late we can eat?  Thank you!

6 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Luminae is open for dinner from 6pm to 9pm.

Just looked and on the Edge dinner runs from 5:30 to 9 pm.

Just got back from eating lunch at Le Grand Bistro! Wow, what a deal for $20 per person! So from our point of view, here’s our list so far of the Best Buy for the buck.

1. Lunch at Le Grand Bistro ($20 per person)

2. Lunch/Dinner at Raw On 5 (a la carte, but will probably work out to around $20-25 per person)

3. Dinner at Le Petit Chef ($55 pp includes “plate” show and great food plus $15 pp for wine pairing package)

4. Dinner at Fine Cuts ($55 pp with a expanded menu to choose from)

5. Dinner at Eden ($55 pp - good food but minimal choices on menu)

Again, this is just our personal opinion. 😎

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just got back from eating lunch at Le Grand Bistro! Wow, what a deal for $20 per person! So from our point of view, here’s our list so far of the Best Buy for the buck.

2. Lunch/Dinner at Raw On 5 (a la carte, but will probably work out to around $20-25 per person)

3. Dinner at Le Petit Chef ($55 pp includes “plate” show and great food plus $15 pp for wine pairing package)

Thank you for your insight!  Great information!  What about the Rooftop Garden Grill?

Edited by cricketts

15 minutes ago, cricketts said:

Thank you for your insight!  Great information!  What about the Rooftop Garden Grill?

Actually, we haven’t had the desire to try the Rooftop Garden Grill as the bar-b-que style menu as well as eating outside in the heat just hasn’t motivated us to try it out. I’m sure it’s fine, but I’ll let someone else provide its review if that’s ok.

34 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Why not just buy the Ultimate Dining Pkg? Wouldn't it work out?

8 minutes ago, asctony said:

Why not just buy the Ultimate Dining Pkg? Wouldn't it work out?

It may very well work out for a lot of folks. For us my DW has to eat early and from our understanding if you buy a dining package online, you cannot be guaranteed an early 5:45/6pm sitting on the day you want to reserve any particular SR. However, we can if we pay the retail price and since we had a bunch of OBC from X, that worked best for us.

16 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

It may very well work out for a lot of folks. For us my DW has to eat early and from our understanding if you buy a dining package online, you cannot be guaranteed an early 5:45/6pm sitting on the day you want to reserve any particular SR. However, we can if we pay the retail price and since we had a bunch of OBC from X, that worked best for us.

Fully understand your logic. 

I thought you could use your OBC pre-cruise to buy a UDP or DP?

We normally don't have a problem getting into an SR early. However, different sailings,  etc., so we understand. 

Stay Safe!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

No. It was added to the bill. I could have simply opted for my usual wine, a German Riesling, but for $15 of OBC, I threw caution to the wind and went for it! 😎

Ken, Just curious if that German Riesling is Selback “Trutta Fario” Kabinett (fish label) by any chance, as that is my wife’s favorite on board when they have it. Thanks!