Would you avoid 9/11/21 just because of the date?

SomewhereGirl

I've been following the pricing on the September Encore sailings because I'm booked on 9/11 and hoping there will be a price drop so I can upgrade (from a studio).  The 9/4 and 9/18 sailings show pretty much sold out except studio & Haven, yet there are tons of unassigned cabins on the 9/11 sailing:

Studio 40

Inside -sold out

OV 30

Balcony 143

Club 106

Haven 37

The site I checked may only go up to 40 per cabin category (BA, B4, etc).  And maybe because of reduced capacity they may only actually want to sell a few in category and then close down bookings.  Who knows.  But prices haven't dropped on the 9/11 sailing much (studio not at all since May).

The 9/4 and 9/18 CC roll calls are pretty active.  I admit, I haven't posted on the 9/11 roll call, which is kind of dead.

Back to question:  Would you not travel/sail on 9/11 because of the significance of the date?  

I won't complain if the 9/11 sailing is empty.

• Haha 1

NO   The only issue I see with Alaskan cruises for the rest of this year might be the cancelation of floatplane excursions.  Yesterday a floatplane crashed North of Ketchikan on an excursion to Misty Fjord killing 5 from a Holland American ship plus the pilot.  So far, the reason for the accident is unknown. 

17 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

NO   The only issue I see with Alaskan cruises for the rest of this year might be the cancelation of floatplane excursions.  Yesterday a floatplane crashed North of Ketchikan on an excursion to Misty Fjord killing 5 from a Holland American ship plus the pilot.  So far, the reason for the accident is unknown. 

Very marginal flying conditions at the time of the flight.  Reported to have flown into a ridge line.  

Weather conditions were a cloud ceiling of 900 feet (274.32 meters) with mist and light rain. Visibility was 2 miles (3.22 kilometers) and winds were 8 mph (12.87 kph), the Coast Guard said.

4 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Very marginal flying conditions at the time of the flight.  Reported to have flown into a ridge line.  

Weather conditions were a cloud ceiling of 900 feet (274.32 meters) with mist and light rain. Visibility was 2 miles (3.22 kilometers) and winds were 8 mph (12.87 kph), the Coast Guard said.

Yes, I saw the weather reports.  Not good.  But there still could be either issues with the pilot ( has happened before) or the plane itself.  After such a long lay-off, anything is possible.  Not enough money to get my to fly in Alaska in a floatplane.

1 minute ago, www3traveler said:

Yes, I saw the weather reports.  Not good.  But there still could be either issues with the pilot ( has happened before) or the plane itself.  After such a long lay-off, anything is possible.  Not enough money to get my to fly in Alaska in a floatplane.

Anything possible.  But I've been a pilot for 62 years and sure sounds like a case of scud running getting another one.  Through the years has happened to the best of them occasionally.  

1 hour ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Back to question:  Would you not travel/sail on 9/11 because of the significance of the date?  

I won't complain if the 9/11 sailing is empty.

Yes I would avoid it. (knock once,knock twice, knock 3 times)  I also avoid walking under ladders,stepping on sidewalk cracks and black cats. Beatle juice, Beatle juice.😄

Steve

7 minutes ago, mafig said:

Weren't all planed grounded?

Yes they were for about a day or 2.  They were grounded again a few weeks later when a plane went down in the NYC area and they thought it might be another attack.  My plane was diverted to another airport that day.  It was a crazy time to have to fly every week for work. 

Edited by SheSailsFL

Sail resolutely; to cower about the 9/11 date is to reward and give in to evil. Furthermore you would be falling into original intentions of commemorating the attempted conquest of Europe in 9/11/1683, which was averted thru staggering sacrifice the next day.

My first instinct was to say it was silly not to travel.   However,  it's the 20th anniversary,  the terrorists seem to enjoy marking anniversaries like they were holidays with new attacks and Afghanistan is falling apart.  I  might think twice about it this year. 

I'm also someone who lived in NY at the time of the attacks and personality knew many who were killed and have friends who are currently fighting 9/11 related cancer. 

We travelled on 9/11 for the tenth anniversary (it was my hs reunion....and I had just lost 20 lbs. so no way would I miss that!).

However, yesimapirate is correct that the terrorists like to  mark anniversaries.

Sorry about your friends.  I'm originally from NJ but didn't live there then, but I have family still there.

• Like 1

It was just a thought.  Excuse me for breathing.  Any other ideas why the 9/11 sailing wouldn't be booking up like sailings before and after?  The 9/4 is a has a USholiday but the 9/18 doesn't. 

And obviously it won't be empty if I'm on it.  😛 

Just received another one of those Important Information for  ENCORE, 11-SEP-2021 emails but it was just another about entertainment being cancelled.  There will, however, be plenty of seating available on your cruise.

We sailed on 9/11 out of New York about 3 years after the attacks.  I think it was on the Gem.

They actually did a beautiful tribute onboard to observe the anniversary.  The Captain stopped the engines on the Hudson around where the towers were and a singer sang Proud to be an American and they threw a wreath in the water and they had a minute of silence.   I have to say there were a lot of tears and it was very touching and well done.  

So, yes I would sail on 9/11.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, goldmom said:

We sailed on 9/11 out of New York about 3 years after the attacks.  I think it was on the Gem.

They actually did a beautiful tribute onboard to observe the anniversary.  The Captain stopped the engines on the Hudson around where the towers were and a singer sang Proud to be an American and they threw a wreath in the water and they had a minute of silence.   I have to say there were a lot of tears and it was very touching and well done.  

So, yes I would sail on 9/11.

My mistake.  It was in 2006 on the Dawn from New York.