All Inclusive Cruises

speedwell

25 minutes ago, davekathy said:

The gratuities have always been included in the CBP and the PBP. Pre AI and currently with AI. Those saying otherwise have been wrong and were not speaking from experience. We have no issues with the AI. We would like to see RC go that way also.  We would like to see the WiFi replaced with an OBC.  We are always disconnected once we are on the ship. Possibly in more ways than one. 🥴 I only use maybe 15 minutes total of our CC internet minutes and that's only on the last day to print off our airline boarding passes.  

I like AI, too.  Only my opinion, but there are plenty of other alternatives (say, Royal Caribbean) as an example if you don't want the drinks, tips, internet, etc.  And, there's always sail away rates.

If you're a new cruiser, and you booked an AI Celebrity Cruise, and all you didn't upgrade any of it, you drank the included drinks, you used the included internet, you didn't tip anyone, you would have no bill at the end of your cruise.  How is that not All Included (or inclusive)?  To say you want to play semantics games with Celebrity or to call their executives dishonest, I'd venture to say the problem is not with Celebrity.

• Thanks 5

1 hour ago, jg51 said:

Thanks so much for chiming in, "publicpersona," because you are absolutely right.  Unfortunately, many people (even some members here) have apparently been raised to tolerate dishonesty in marketing -- or even to praise it!  So sad!

You went on to write, "I do believe some of you Celebrity apologists would overlook it even if they said “There are no exceptions EVER” -- and someone scoffed at your reference to "Celebrity apologists."  We, however, used to have that EXACT two-word phrase pass through our minds ... until we realized that the apologists could (at least sometimes) be X employees!  [We won't say, "Always Employees," though.😁]

The deceptive phrase is "ALWAYS Included" -- not "all included" nor "all-inclusive."

Sometimes attempts at humor fall flat, Spif -- as in this case. 😒  This is a serious subject.

jg, Agreed and I'll give you 51 reasons why my post is not funny. 1 - 'Cause it ain't. 2 - Wasn't meant to be. Three through fifty-one I'll forego for now and defer to your saddy/maddy face.

What is funny is this continued effort to pull something devious and dishonest from deep inside a marketing concept because it doesn't fit or feel right. Like trying to pull a wedgie from deep inside a different kind of concept, on a hot, sweaty summer day. Neither one is going to make you totally comfortable. Solutions; Don't cruise where AI abounds and don't go outside on hot, humid summer days. 

How quickly one serious subject became two. Thanks jg for making that happen.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

How could you possibly feel better by doing something you didn't want to do in the first place? For the record, I do occasionally drink alcohol, but by choice, not trying to justify the high cost.

GG - I will take full responsibility for this but I'm afraid you totally missed my point.  

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

How could you possibly feel better by doing something you didn't want to do in the first place? For the record, I do occasionally drink alcohol, but by choice, not trying to justify the high cost.

g - I would tend to believe that unless it is your spouse pushing you (like mine is known to do to me!!!), if I did not want to do it, I do not do it unless in a position where the other options are less attractive... LOL

This will include choice of lines to sail, then again I dare not think about changing lines as I would be sailing alone... Thus, give me my beverage package in whatever flavour(s) they come in, board, meet CC buds, relax, drink some more, eat, sleep, drink more, dis-embark get home and think about what a wonderful sailing I had.

Cheers and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

just a person who makes his own choice on the product offered me and if I decide to make that purchase.

As I'm a free market libertarian, it would appear that we are in absolute agreement on this. There might be some who don't like the AI campaign because they feel forced into paying for things they don't want (e.g. they drink nothing but water, never use wi-fi, and feels strongly that gratuities should be at the giver's discretion). AI reduces their product choice from a menu to an all-or-nothing take-it-or-leave it situation. But I drink like a fish, use the heck out of wi-fi, and always did pre-paid gratuities anyway. So that aspect of AI isn't what I find problematic.

Again, it is the taunting words “every sailing”, “every booking”, “every room”, “every time” that are specifically and absolutely designed to mislead and not simply a mere exaggeration.

• Like 1

Nobody is a "Celebrity Apologist," you either purchase the product they are selling or not - I don't know what that phrase has to do with anything. 

My brain hurts trying to understand why someone is so triggered by the phrase "all Included."

NEWSFLASH they have to call it something. Of course it is self-promoting, they're in business to make money, what would you prefer it be called? 

Also no other premium cruise line is doing this, making the need for differentiation more necessary I suppose.

Edited by pumpkin 11

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

The glue that binds us on the topic... LOL

cheers and bon voyage

Bo -

You DO understand that really BAD puns like that one are subject to automatic debit (-2) from your Captain's Club points, right???

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

g - I would tend to believe that unless it is your spouse pushing you (like mine is known to do to me!!!), if I did not want to do it, I do not do it unless in a position where the other options are less attractive... LOL

This will include choice of lines to sail, then again I dare not think about changing lines as I would be sailing alone... Thus, give me my beverage package in whatever flavour(s) they come in, board, meet CC buds, relax, drink some more, eat, sleep, drink more, dis-embark get home and think about what a wonderful sailing I had.

Cheers and bon voyage

Boy, do I love this post.  Thanks!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

To oversimply it, the definition of marketing isn't to make someone happy, it's to promote whatever they're trying to sell...If you're complaining about "Always Included*", like it or not you're promoting it...

The purpose of marketing is to generate sales/revenue.  People in advertising love to give themselves awards for creative advertising that is so beautiful or surreal that the intended audience doesn't remember the product or it doesn't move the revenue needle.

Advertising that upsets people and causes them to not purchase the product is counter intuitive.

AI is Always Included, which is for specific things you will pay for whether you desire it or not. It is not the same as All Included.  Basically there are several things that are not included in Celebrity's Always included.  If you want to understand All Included, compare premium lines like Regent which are truly ALL inclucive. They included Air, transfers, premium liquor set up in cabin, excursions,  pre-cruise hotel and more.

8 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I wonder if once on board they will allow you to upgrade ONLY the bev package?  I was just looking at their FAQ's and (like much on the website) not exactly clear, LOL.  Good luck.

Yes indeed:

How can a guest upgrade from classic beverage package to premium beverage package when they book the Always Included package?

If a guest books their cruise with Always Included package pricing and would like to upgrade their Classic Beverage Package to the Premium Beverage Package, they may do so via our Cruise Planner platform once their booking is within final payment.  The upgrade charge will be $12 per person per day which includes the beverage gratuity.  Guests may not purchase a beverage upgrade before final payment when they book Always Included. Alternatively, guests may also upgrade their beverage package from Classic to Premium once onboard the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Also, from the FAQ's, I found this interesting.  I seem to recall seeing a number of posts here saying you still have to have a tip added at beverage point of sale.  This says gratuities included, which makes sense under "always included".  Perhaps someone just off their cruise can let us know.

Do I need to tip onboard for beverages?

Beverage Gratuities are included for any Classic or Premium Beverage Package as provided within Always Included, Elevate or Indulge.

Under AI, the included gratuities are the stateroom gratuities and does not include drink gratuities. If you have a beverage package, the tips get added to the price of the package when purchased. If you pay for drinks, the gratuity gets added.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HskrCrsr said:

Under AI, the included gratuities are the stateroom gratuities and does not include drink gratuities. If you have a beverage package, the tips get added to the price of the package when purchased. If you pay for drinks, the gratuity gets added.

The AI also includes the CBP and the gratuities for the package are included. If you order a drink above the allowed CBP dollar amount you are charged the drink price difference plus 20% gravity. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Nobody is a "Celebrity Apologist," you either purchase the product they are selling or not - I don't know what that phrase has to do with anything. 

My brain hurts trying to understand why someone is so triggered by the phrase "all Included."

NEWSFLASH they have to call it something. Of course it is self-promoting, they're in business to make money, what would you prefer it be called? 

Also no other premium cruise line is doing this, making the need for differentiation more necessary I suppose.

My post (#56) explains it to you very carefully. Just read that. I have no problem whatsoever with them packaging their cruises however they wish. The issue is dishonestly communicating what they are selling.

No other premium cruise line includes drinks, wi-fi, and gratuities? Are you kidding me?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, HskrCrsr said:

While the gratuities being referenced in AI are for stateroom/dining/other staff and not beverage gratuities, the beverage package that is part of AI does indeed include the beverage gratuities. This is cut and paste from the AI FAQ:

Beverage Gratuities are included for any Classic or Premium Beverage Package as provided within Always Included, Elevate or Indulge.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

While the gratuities being referenced in AI are for stateroom/dining/other staff and not beverage gratuities, the beverage package that is part of AI does indeed include the beverage gratuities. This is cut and paste from the AI FAQ:

Agree gratuities are included as long as the drink cost is within the limit of the respective beverage package. 

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

My post (#56) explains it to you very carefully. Just read that. I have no problem whatsoever with them packaging their cruises however they wish. The issue is dishonestly communicating what they are selling.

No other premium cruise line includes drinks, wi-fi, and gratuities? Are you kidding me?

You know what I mean with regard to pricing strategy and the other premium cruise lines as to what they usually include. 

words words words with you people! If this is the biggest problem bugging your life than that ‘s really impressive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

You know what I mean with regard to pricing strategy and the other premium cruise lines as to what they usually include. 

words words words with you people! If this is the biggest problem bugging your life than that ‘s really impressive

You categorize Celebrity as a premium cruise line? Silversea is the premium line in RCG.

IMO based upon ship size, among other things, Celebrity is a Mass Market line; albeit a more upscale MM line with it's resort deck.

1 hour ago, ChucktownSteve said:

You categorize Celebrity as a premium cruise line? Silversea is the premium line in RCG.

IMO based upon ship size, among other things, Celebrity is a Mass Market line; albeit a more upscale MM line with it's resort deck.

The long established ruling on this is (which has been the consensus for probably 20 years) :

Luxury/ Ultraluxury: Seabourn, Crystal, Oceania, Silversea, Regent,

Premium: Princess, Holland America, Celebrity

Standard: Royal Caribbean, Carnival, NCL, Costa, MSC

Now, LLP apparently calls Celebrity “new luxury” between premium and Ultra Luxury, but that’s a different topic.

Edited by pumpkin 11
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, pumpkin 11 said:

The long established ruling on this is (which has been the consensus for probably 20 years) :

Luxury/ Ultraluxury: Seabourn, Crystal, Oceania, Silversea, Regent,

Premium: Princess, Holland America, Celebrity

Standard: Royal Caribbean, Carnival, NCL, Costa, MSC

Now, LLP apparently calls Celebrity “new luxury” between premium and Ultra Luxury, but that’s a different topic.

Well if Princess, Holland and Celebrity are Premium, then Oceania, Azamara and Cunard are Upper Premium. They certainly are a cut above premium but not quite luxury. 

I certainly didn't realise that my original simple question would bring forth such a response. However, I'm pleased that I have got the gist of the replies and will act accordingly.

As an aside, I've just got back from a first cruise on Princess and I was pleased to find that the music around the ship was excellent and was the equivalent of Celebrity several years ago. The two production shows were also very much better than Celebrity's current offerings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/13/2021 at 1:11 PM, Spif Barwunkel said:

Once again roils the contentious AI tempest in a teapot. Two simple words, "Always Included" rankles the cockles and beckons the bluster of otherwise sensible, easy-going human beings. And, just like times before there will be no solution, no satisfaction, no mitigation.

It is what it is, for now. For now is....................this long, or longer? Truth be told, AI is quite simple, really, 2 + 2 simple and quite effective. If you are still worked up when next you step foot on a cruise ship, use that AI and have an alcoholic beverage to drink....whether you drink alcohol or not. You would certainly feel better than you do now.   

Amen…pip-pip hooray and consider my cockles dutifully calmed (for now)!

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2021 at 5:56 PM, sgmn said:

Being in the travel industry my UK industry travel agent offers basic cruise only prices but honestly the difference was minimal and the always included was well worth the small difference and we are Elite so would of had the Elite perks 

But only on a limited number of cruises and only for guarantee cabins. If that's not true and your agent can offer this on specific cabins on all itineraries we, and many others, would be delighted to book with them.