I'm out - see ya next year! Thanks ya'll

wemjam

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

How is it not Carnival's fault? 

They were the ones that hit the panic button by implementing (badly I might add) all these new requirements on people at the last minute without any concern for what it did to their customers vacation plans.  It's their way or the highway.

Until such time they provide a reasonable explanation for not offering testing at the terminal, people have a right to complain about it.

And people certainly have the right to offer clarity on what are vague instructions on masking at best.

I agree.    Carnival could have handled this much better, especially the testing.   I am booked on a MSC cruise and they are providing the rapid testing for free at the embarkation for all passengers.   Just takes away a lot of stress for those traveling and sailing.  I'm ok with the masks, but scrambling to get a test and hoping for a quick turnaround is crazy.  .   

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, beloum said:

I agree.    Carnival could have handled this much better, especially the testing.   I am booked on a MSC cruise and they are providing the rapid testing for free at the embarkation for all passengers.   Just takes away a lot of stress for those traveling and sailing.  I'm ok with the masks, but scrambling to get a test and hoping for a quick turnaround is crazy.  .   

That's great and is so much less stressful for many people.  And free, wow, you can't beat that.

1 hour ago, beloum said:

Sounds like a great Facebook question/suggestion for John Heald.  It’s funny that many cruisers decision to continue cruising may come down to the administration  of a rapid test that has a retail cost  of no more than $20 (got that info from another poster who mentioned the BinaxNow antigen home rapid test available at Sams Club.). Of course Carnival won’t allow self-administration of the test.

Edited by TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail

Keeping our Nov cruise, going to be a test cruise on sailing under the restrictions.  We have 3 planned for 2022, we cancelled one of the early dates ( Jan ), keeping the other two, hoping it somehow smooths out....just not a good time.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:32 AM, TNcruising02 said:

I moved my August cruise to April 2022 and will see how it goes next year.  I am with you and have chosen to wait until later.  I think there may be enough people who are comfortable with masks and testing to fill up the ships so that cruising can continue.  We are going to Florida again in a week to have a fun vacation and that's good enough for me for now.

I'm sure you feel better now that you have finished rescheduling everything.  I hope you find some fun ways to vacation in the mean time.

I live here in Florida so I hope you will come here and mask up if in public places as we are having a horrible increase of people in the hospital. Some that I know. Please be safe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, atexsix said:

How is it not Carnival's fault? 

They were the ones that hit the panic button by implementing (badly I might add) all these new requirements on people at the last minute without any concern for what it did to their customers vacation plans.  It's their way or the highway.

Until such time they provide a reasonable explanation for not offering testing at the terminal, people have a right to complain about it.

And people certainly have the right to offer clarity on what are vague instructions on masking at best.

Well said!

2 hours ago, scissorhappygrl said:

I live here in Florida so I hope you will come here and mask up if in public places as we are having a horrible increase of people in the hospital. Some that I know. Please be safe.

I will wear a mask when required by a business.  We spend the majority of our time outside, with the exception of eating at restaurants.  When we were there a few weeks ago, they did not require masks in the restaurants or stores.  I am not concerned about the restaurants or stores.  My only concern is the airline trip to Florida and back home.  We are vaccinated, so we will take the risk of traveling.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Indiansbaseball said:

We lost Grand Turk for La Romana, we lost Bonaire for Curaçao and we lost Half Moon Cay for Amber Cove. This was our first time purchasing cheers. 
Editing to add : honestly, if you look at the state department travel advisory…I will be surprised if we even get to these ports ! Check it out ! 

La Romana and Amber Cove are connected since they are both in the D.R.  Shame you lost HMC.  Since you never bought Cheers before, that is the reason that the algorithm bestowed upon you one of the RU codes to get the reduced priced Cheers.

As a side note, are you going to change your nickname to Guardians?

• Like 1

We've had 4 covid cancellations with our next cruise in Mar 2022. However just under a month ago we booked a cruise for Sept 27th on the Magic in a Cove Balcony for $160 per (plus taxes). I totally understand why people (esp families) would want to hold off. However we have had covid restrictions since day 1 where we live so the changes dont bother us at all and with the cruise being so cheap, our bar is not set real high. Basically as long as it floats and we're on it we are good. We were literally 7 days away from sailing in 2020 when the world shut down so we just want some family time at sea.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

La Romana and Amber Cove are connected since they are both in the D.R.  Shame you lost HMC.  Since you never bought Cheers before, that is the reason that the algorithm bestowed upon you one of the RU codes to get the reduced priced Cheers.

As a side note, are you going to change your nickname to Guardians?

I have been to La Romana on a previous cruise, sadly I returned to the ship after a short time in port. I thought it was an armpit port. I’m hoping maybe I just didn’t give it a chance. Half Moon is why we booked this cruise. Hubby has never been. I have talked it up for years. We always sail for ports not ships. I understand these are strange times, but I booked this cruise in 2019. I added the cheers package back in July, it cost us more, not as much as regular cheers, but more for sure. We figured that we would give it a try with everything that’s included. 
As for your question about my name …. Nope ! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indiansbaseball said:

I have been to La Romana on a previous cruise, sadly I returned to the ship after a short time in port. I thought it was an armpit port. I’m hoping maybe I just didn’t give it a chance. Half Moon is why we booked this cruise. Hubby has never been. I have talked it up for years. We always sail for ports not ships. I understand these are strange times, but I booked this cruise in 2019. I added the cheers package back in July, it cost us more, not as much as regular cheers, but more for sure. We figured that we would give it a try with everything that’s included. 
As for your question about my name …. Nope ! 

We took the bus over to Alto Chavon in La Romana.  Cheapest excursion we ever took.  The port itself is not much to talk about but we were happy touring around the Also Chavon.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, beloum said:

Good points...if MSC can provide the testing why can't Carny? Even if there is a charge for the testing, it sure would ease the angst over these Carnival Rules....come on help us out here.

• Like 3

On 8/6/2021 at 11:54 AM, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

For a lot of folks it’s the masks required where they don’t feel comfortable.  For me, it’s the almost unattainable testing within 72 hours.  I literally have to drive 25+ miles out of my way within 72 hours of boarding to get a rapid test done.  I won’t chance flying in & relying on rapid tests to be available within 24 hours of boarding.  

I wouldn’t care if Carnival needed to swab me daily (even though I’m post-covid and fully vaxxed).  But don’t make me jump through hoops for the privilege of paying to sail.  

Precisely, my opinion and position. My final payment date is October 31st so I'll just have to sit tight until that date in hopes some of these restrictive conditions are changed.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

Sounds like a great Facebook question/suggestion for John Heald.  It’s funny that many cruisers decision to continue cruising may come down to the administration  of a rapid test that has a retail cost  of no more than $20 (got that info from another poster who mentioned the BinaxNow antigen home rapid test available at Sams Club.). Of course Carnival won’t allow self-administration of the test.

...and the cost of one BinaxNOW test is half that because the $20 kit at Sam's Club is a two-pack!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, newpherchris said:

...and the cost of one BinaxNOW test is half that because the $20 kit at Sam's Club is a two-pack!

Moot point since take home tests are not acceptable for Carnival.  It's been reported that the rapid test at CVS Minute Clinic, the comparable test at Walgreens and tests at labs such as Quest are all covered and free.  People need to do their own research and check out pharmacies, walk in clinics and labs in their own area to see which of the three options fit their own needs.  If they are in an extreme rural area, then they have to make the decision as to whether the lengthy drive is worth it or not in order to fulfill the new requirement.  If not, then you can cancel with a full refund or flip it to a future cruise if you wish to possibly keep applicable OBC.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

Good points...if MSC can provide the testing why can't Carny? Even if there is a charge for the testing, it sure would ease the angst over these Carnival Rules....come on help us out here.

There are questions all the time. From what I read, it seems the testing can be like a placebo more then science that is truly accurate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Moot point since take home tests are not acceptable for Carnival

The point is not moot since me and many other vaxxed cruisers are willing to pay Carnival their cost to test us.  

No.  They would rather we be inconvenienced right before we sail to go find rapid testing on our own.  Heck I’m almost willing to pay the $150 x 2 that unvaxxed pax incur to not have to pray that rapid test is available.  This is ridiculous.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

It's been reported that the rapid test at CVS Minute Clinic, the comparable test at Walgreens and tests at labs such as Quest are all covered and free.  People need to do their own research and check out pharmacies, walk in clinics and labs in their own area to see which of the three options fit their own needs.  If they are in an extreme rural area, then they have to make the decision as to whether the lengthy

You are trying to speak like you know everyone’s personal experience.  I live in the ‘burbs.  My closest rapid testing facility is 25+ miles away.  I’ve done the research.  I’m getting 2 appointments (1 Walgreens, 1 CVS) to ensure I can get test results before my flight.  I pray I test negative (already had covid & already vaxxed)…..Then I get on a plane & will be more subjected to more exposure than I do day-to-day….but at least I’m done testing at that point.

I won’t even go into your comment about fully refundable.  We did everything Carnival asked & there is no way we are kept whole canceling at this point.  There’s a heck of a lot more cost & inconvenience involved that the cruise fare this close.

Edited by TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail
  • Thanks 1

DH and I were at the doctors on Friday.  I was having problems with veins, and DH finished radiation for cancer earlier this year.  We told him that we were booked on a cruise, yes we are vaccinated, and he said loudly-NO!!!!!  It's not just your health now, it's what is going to happen with the pandemic in the future!  Put it off for a year...he said.  Easier said than done as we already had a cruise booked for April and September next year.  To book the same cruise to the Southern Caribbean would cost over 1K more, and since we are both "retired" neither by choice, but health, we couldn't afford to move that particular cruise.  So, we chose another cruise that we have wanted to do over the years, but it's in 2023.  DH says he hopes we are still both alive and mobile by that time.

Carnival doesn't own HMC, Holland does, so I guess they get first dibs.  I have looked at the zones that the CDC states are hot spots.  Well, Grand Turk is on the low side, and the US is not.  They don't want us there.  As far as the Dominican Republic, they are getting the vaccine, but they are at the same zone as we are, which is a 3.  Grand Turk is a 1. If they are healthy why would they want a whole bunch of folks who might not be.  Moving from one port to another might be because these small islands do not want the risk of having us in their ports, not so much us skipping them to keep ourselves safe.  
Right now, we are the problem.  So, we too moved our cruise, we hope for a healthier next year, and I hope that you who are still cruising stay happy, cruise happy and get vaccinated! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Moot point since take home tests are not acceptable for Carnival.  It's been reported that the rapid test at CVS Minute Clinic, the comparable test at Walgreens and tests at labs such as Quest are all covered and free.  People need to do their own research and check out pharmacies, walk in clinics and labs in their own area to see which of the three options fit their own needs.  If they are in an extreme rural area, then they have to make the decision as to whether the lengthy drive is worth it or not in order to fulfill the new requirement.  If not, then you can cancel with a full refund or flip it to a future cruise if you wish to possibly keep applicable OBC.

My point wasn't that the $10 at home test is an acceptable option; it's that the cost of the tests is potentially low enough that it would be convenient if they could figure out the logistics of providing testing options at the port. That said, the Binax test takes about 15 minutes - when Carnival multiplies that by potentially thousands of passengers, other factors must be considered: where do you hold all of those people while they wait 15 minutes? How many staff members would be required to manage the process with accuracy? How many passengers would rather know before the day of embarkation so they don't travel potentially long distances only to be disappointed and turned away? (As we're driving 12 hours to our Aug 21 cruise, I fall into that category). How many passengers who come up positive at an on-site testing port would cause a stink and blame the test and/or Carnival instead of accepting that they may be a risk to others? These aren't dismiss-able factors. Bottom line is it sucks regardless, but I understand the need to test all passengers at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

The point is not moot since me and many other vaxxed cruisers are willing to pay Carnival their cost to test us.  

No.  They would rather we be inconvenienced right before we sail to go find rapid testing on our own.  Heck I’m almost willing to pay the $150 x 2 that unvaxxed pax incur to not have to pray that rapid test is available.  This is ridiculous.  

You don't make the rules, you just play the game if you decide to.  Carnival is not accepting at home tests, so it does not matter the cost of them, so it is a moot factor. 

If you feel it's ridiculous to have to get tested at a local pharmacy, clinic or lab within 72 hours of your sailing, then just cancel.  Complaining about it on CC is not going to change the requirement.  So suck it up buttercup or cancel your cruise.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, newpherchris said:

My point wasn't that the $10 at home test is an acceptable option; it's that the cost of the tests is potentially low enough that it would be convenient if they could figure out the logistics of providing testing options at the port. That said, the Binax test takes about 15 minutes - when Carnival multiplies that by potentially thousands of passengers, other factors must be considered: where do you hold all of those people while they wait 15 minutes? How many staff members would be required to manage the process with accuracy? How many passengers would rather know before the day of embarkation so they don't travel potentially long distances only to be disappointed and turned away? (As we're driving 12 hours to our Aug 21 cruise, I fall into that category). How many passengers who come up positive at an on-site testing port would cause a stink and blame the test and/or Carnival instead of accepting that they may be a risk to others? These aren't dismiss-able factors. Bottom line is it sucks regardless, but I understand the need to test all passengers at this point.

They had 4200 passengers on the Mardi Gras last week.  Like you said, where do you hold all of these people while they are waiting for results?

If Carnival provided testing the day of or the day before the cruise, I assume that at least 50% of the passengers would choose to get the testing done before they travelled. They would not have to test 100% of the passengers. They could do some type of drive thru testing in a parking lot.  If MSC cruises are providing testing, I wonder how many passengers they have on their ships and how they are able to do it.

It seems like Carnival would want to work with some local testing centers or figure something out to help make it easier for people who have difficulties due to drive time or taking multiple plane trips.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

I won’t even go into your comment about fully refundable.  We did everything Carnival asked & there is no way we are kept whole canceling at this point.  There’s a heck of a lot more cost & inconvenience involved that the cruise fare this close.

It seems like you are going to get two different tests to cover your butt.  I do hope one is a PCR test which has been reported to have a lesser chance of a false positive than the antigen test.  You're right about inconvenience if you choose to cancel.  Airfare would have to be credited and possible hotel reservation cancelled.

Hope that your results are negative and you enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2