Live and life from Nieuw Amsterdam's third Alaska sailing

Copper10-8

I just noticed within HAL's Covid protocols it says a Covid test will be administered to all passengers on day 5 or 6.   I thought it was only offered to travelers flying internationally.    I found this under US Sailings Questions and Answers.   Can you confirm whether this test is mandatory for all guests?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisewiththekids said:

I just noticed within HAL's Covid protocols it says a Covid test will be administered to all passengers on day 5 or 6.   I thought it was only offered to travelers flying internationally.    I found this under US Sailings Questions and Answers.   Can you confirm whether this test is mandatory for all guests?

To my knowledge and effective today, the Covid test is mandatory for all HAL guests

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

To my knowledge and effective today, the Covid test is mandatory for all HAL guests

Copper--did they test passengers onboard NA on day 5 or 6 of your cruise?  I think you might have been thinking of the pre-embarkation covid test in this answer, or maybe I'm reading your answer wrong.

3 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

Copper--did they test passengers onboard NA on day 5 or 6 of your cruise?  I think you might have been thinking of the pre-embarkation covid test in this answer, or maybe I'm reading your answer wrong.

Nope, no testing whatsoever on our cruise which concluded yesterday. And no worries, I read your question wrong 😉 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Just a quick post for future cruisers. We took a cab from the ship to Marriott Waterfront yesterday. Porter insisted we use a metered cab. Cost $11.80 +tip. Marriott also has a shuttle to Pier 91 for $10.00 per person.

Thanks for the information.  The last time that I was a guest at the Marriott, there was no shuttle.  Good choice for a hotel.  Dinner at Anthony's just across the street?  

2 hours ago, zelker said:

A gentle reminder that you were going to post this info ....  🙃

Yes, it's coming! Just catching up with "normal" everyday life like unpacking, laundry (yes, I do laundry 😜), sorting mail, groceries, taking the mother-in-law home, giving the vallets instructions, etc, etc 😉

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for the information.  The last time that I was a guest at the Marriott, there was no shuttle.  Good choice for a hotel.  Dinner at Anthony's just across the street?  

We went to Elliotts. 1/2 mile down the street.

• Like 6

On 8/13/2021 at 9:30 AM, zelker said:

@Copper10-8  John, would you be so kind as to ask the NL Concierge if he has a sheet with the current pricing for the internet (the ones I've been given in the past break it out by daily cost up to and through 31+ days and shows it for all 3 levels) ... and if you are able to get it, can you please post it! 

Thank you!  And enjoy your last day on board.

Here you go; as stated before, the listed "3 devices for seven days" is outtahere 

IMG_5059.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Here you go; as stated before, the listed "3 devices for seven days" is outtahere 

IMG_5059.JPG

Thanks John.  Looks like the cost is the same as B.C. (Before Covid) - at least for the 7 day cruises.

29 minutes ago, zelker said:

Notice that it's dated 2019 at the bottom

Makes sense if they aren’t upping the price.  Last updated internet rate would be the date, I would think?

Thursday - August 12, 2021 - Ketchikan, AK (con't)

Alaskan crab fishers in Ketchikan; "Debra D" and "Farwest Leader," both 40 and 40+ (42) years old - Think "Deadliest Catch"

Sailing Clarence Strait to Dixon Entrance, part of the maritime boundary between the U.S. and Canada. A really nice day! 🙂

A note from Akmal, one of the hard working laundry guys located under the water line. They were fast, very fast! Laundry was picked up Wed night and delivered fresh on Thu morning! Mantap! 🙂

In-Room Dining from the Tamarind; "Land and Sea" (Satay sampler, white rice, wontons and shrimp) Pretty good stuff!

Step One Dance Company perform in "Musicality," another high energy production this time evolving around the various musical instruments and using the technical aspect of the showroom; Well Done!

Finished up the night with the BB King's, where else? 😉

The really "Big Apple" coming out the elevators on Deck 3

May be an image of outdoors

May be an image of outdoors

May be an image of map and text

May be an image of text that says 'Holland America Line' SAVOR HE JOURNEY nas been Your laundry by proccesed Akmal Terima kembali with kasih my pleasure MY NAME Akmal DEPARTMENT Laundry Attendant 30922172(08/18)'

May be an image of lake, nature and mountain

May be an image of ocean, nature and cloud

May be an image of nature

May be an image of food and indoor

May be an image of 1 person

May be an image of one or more people and text that says 'The Piano P lano'

May be an image of 1 person, standing and indoor

May be an image of one or more people and indoor

May be an image of one or more people and indoor

May be an image of one or more people, people playing musical instruments, people standing and indoor

May be an image of one or more people, people playing musical instruments, people standing and saxophone

May be an image of text that says 'club soda S9.75 rup, lemon a bitters HE S BLUES Jack Daniel's DELTA Tennessee Honey, Midori, pineapple juice, Sprite HOOTCHIE COOTCHIE Bulleit Bourbon, pineapple juice, honey syrup, cinnamon ROADHOUSE Grey Goose vodka, BO raspberry purée, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup BLUES FASHIONED Madew Maker's Mark Bourbon BOOGIE BAY BREEZE Malibu Coconut rum, peach schnap cranberry juice, Sprite'

May be an image of text that says 'COCKTAILS RHYTHMEBLUE BLUES honey syrup, fresh strawberries, lemon Bulleit Bourbon, Monin Ginger Syrup, juice, house- made sour, Angostura bitters DELTA Tennessee juice Jack Midori, Daniel's pineapple Jim Beam Red Stag Black Cherry Bourbon, TOP OF THE Monin Ginger syrup, cranberry juice, soda CHARTS fresh lime juice, club BOOM BOOM PUNCH (Serves4-6) Absolut Elyx vodka, Rothman & Winter Crème det, Prosecco, Monin Lavender syrup, lemon ROADH Grey Goose raspberry fresh lemon simplesy BLUES 'RITA GOOD Herradura Silver tequila, sour mix, basil leaves, TIMES Herradura ROLL agavene ginger liqueur,'

May be an image of sculpture

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 13

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Step One Dance Company perform in "Musicality," another high energy production this time evolving around the various musical instruments and using the technical aspect of the showroom; Well Done!

Thanks for your reports and pictures.  Not experiencing the Step One Dance Company show that you did--but having experienced others in the Nieuw Statendam's World Stage Theater--these performances are underwhelming for me and do not meet the standard of entertainment that I expected when the World Stage's technical performance abilities were initially announced.  

John, even the technical abilities that are available on the Vista Class ships' theaters have been underused during most of my cruises.  A seven day Caribbean Westerdam cruise was an exception several years ago.  

25 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for your reports and pictures.  Not experiencing the Step One Dance Company show that you did--but having experienced others in the Nieuw Statendam's World Stage Theater--these performances are underwhelming for me and do not meet the standard of entertainment that I expected when the World Stage's technical performance abilities were initially announced.  

John, even the technical abilities that are available on the Vista Class ships' theaters have been underused during most of my cruises.  A seven day Caribbean Westerdam cruise was an exception several years ago.  

You are preaching to the choir! Better off writing to Bill Prince, HAL's vice president of entertainment, c/o Holland America Line, 450 Third Avenue West, Seattle, WA 98119, or better still, to his boss, HAL's president, Gustavo "Gus" Antorcha and voice your displeasure with the underusing of the main stage

I also would like to have the full production cast with four vocalists and up to eight dancers back! The shows, prior to the full cast of singers and dancers being cut, had really improved (yes, subjective) two-three years prior. And yes, the circular stages on the now three Pinnacles have a lot of "technical stuff" that is not being used. Having said all that, the Step One Co. dancers do an excellent job in the mean time! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Better off writing to Bill Prince, HAL's vice president of entertainment, c/o Holland America Line, 450 Third Avenue West, Seattle, WA 98119, or better still, to his boss, HAL's president, Gustavo "Gus" Antorcha and voice your displeasure with the underusing of the main stage

I am done with writing e-mails and snail mail letters to Mr. Prince and all of the bosses that preceded President Antorcha.  No responses; no changes; I don't get a "warm, fuzzy" feeling that corporate HAL cares what I think.  

What I DO CARE ABOUT is that as a shareholder of CCL, the money spent on providing these ships with what could be outstanding main theater performances is being wasted.  And, there seems to be no responsible oversight from Miami let alone Seattle.  

In the greater scheme of things for CCL, this "waste of an investment" is viewed as minor--if it is even considered.  I suspect.  (CCL has much bigger issues on their plate than what is produced in the Main Theaters of any of the ships in their fleet.) 

I wish CC allowed private messaging.  I would like to detail to you the entertainment experiences that I had on MSC Meraviglia in January, 2020.  Having a Volendam Christmas/New Year's Cruise before and a partial Canal  Eurodam cruise afterwards,  the entertainment difference was stark! 

• Like 1