They set everyone's expectation high but failed to deliver yesterday!

Exvirginstaff

3 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

I find this interesting. Not because I have ever wanted to do this, but that this would be a niche request... that doesn't cost anything...and I'm curious how Virgin handled your request, if you made one?

There was a one word answer. Tough........

Until this year I've never travelled on any ship that you cannot view from Bow and Stern on one deck or another. Whilst timelapse filming maybe a "niche" request, I doubt taking photos is though! lol Maybe its just me! haha

IMG_20191005_075529.thumb.jpg.008a229b6e3a93973f3f53c0980fd0ae.jpg

IMG_20191005_075245.thumb.jpg.7b834e292e52bdd18b6ef4f3b4f9d1b7.jpg

Edited by les37b

11 hours ago, les37b said:

Here's one you might not like. Like I found on MSC Virtuoso, Scarlet Lady has no public viewing gallery on any deck at the bow. I always video port arrivals and departures (usually timelapse) but couldnt do so on either. If you have "Rockstar" status, you can use the top dock, but whilst I managed to gain access to view during the voyage for a few minutes, it wasn't a good view with a camera.

The Edge class of Celebrity is also a design that eliminated the forward-facing public viewing area. Limited to suite guests or those in the spa.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, twodjs said:

The Edge class of Celebrity is also a design that eliminated the forward-facing public viewing area. Limited to suite guests or those in the spa.

Another I will avoid... Cheers.

Maybe I've just been fortunate with the fact every ship has always had a forward facing view.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 9:38 AM, les37b said:

Absolutely. I always seek to find out as much info as possible before boarding.

Here's one you might not like. Like I found on MSC Virtuoso, Scarlet Lady has no public viewing gallery on any deck at the bow. I always video port arrivals and departures (usually timelapse) but couldnt do so on either. If you have "Rockstar" status, you can use the top dock, but whilst I managed to gain access to view during the voyage for a few minutes, it wasn't a good view with a camera.

Very disappointing for me on a personal level. I know it can be argued, there wasn't much to see on this trip arriving and departing from Pompey, but that wont be the only place this ship visits! 

Good afternoon Sir.

Thanks for that and you're spot on, it is one near and dear to me as a keen photographer and cruise blogger.

I'd already considered an early  recce to find such a spot for the Portsmouth departure. 

When on MSC Preziosa 18 months ago I did use the Yacht Club 'One Pool' area. It wasn't easy, needed to complete a mini obstacle coarse before using the gaps in the glass windbreaks.

So I accept the challenge and again thank you for the heads up.

One further question if I may. I have registered my Halifax Clarity credit card for any additional expenditure. Can I assume they automatically charge your card in US$ and don't try that con of converting to one's own currency. In the past I've had to ensure this with both Cunard and Celebrity. 

Thanks again for your exceptionally good advice.

8 hours ago, les37b said:

Another I will avoid... Cheers.

Maybe I've just been fortunate with the fact every ship has always had a forward facing view.

If that is, like mine, a real plus then I can highly recommend the two new Saga ships, They have one of the best forward observation decks I've experienced...

1831528788_Decks14Britanniabalcony.jpg.8d2948c8deb0636df1816fd26e70d6eb.jpg

1713992171_Decks15Britanniabalcony.jpg.7508502b6608645dec63428e6040fc47.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Good afternoon Sir.

Thanks for that and you're spot on, it is one near and dear to me as a keen photographer and cruise blogger.

I'd already considered an early  recce to find such a spot for the Portsmouth departure. 

When on MSC Preziosa 18 months ago I did use the Yacht Club 'One Pool' area. It wasn't easy, needed to complete a mini obstacle coarse before using the gaps in the glass windbreaks.

So I accept the challenge and again thank you for the heads up.

One further question if I may. I have registered my Halifax Clarity credit card for any additional expenditure. Can I assume they automatically charge your card in US$ and don't try that con of converting to one's own currency. In the past I've had to ensure this with both Cunard and Celebrity. 

Thanks again for your exceptionally good advice.

Yes, I knew you are a photographer and appreciate the need to bow and stern views. Most of my YouTube videos are timelapse, for sailings for port arrivals in places like Saigon and Hong Kong. I cannot imagine the frustration if I found out after boarding there was no viewing locations!

Likewise, I use a Halifax Clarity for that very same purpose. Interestingly, when I went to bed on the last night, I had a $10.80 credit still left on my account. Your question prompted me to check. Having already witnessed 4 different "errors" for charges to me account, I am rather surprised to see that I have a charge from Scarlet lady on the card for £7.37 (which appears to be a conversion done by Halifax as it states its $10.20 and works about at approx $1.38 to the £)

So, you cannot view ANY charges on your account as the app gets closed down before you rise for breakfast. You don't get notified of any charges that has been put on your account / CC and you do not receive a final bill. My son and his friend were last off the ship with us all waiting for him on land. Like him, I thought the purpose of the verified card added to the account, was to charge (like was done with mine) and all was fluid and transparent. For some reason, his payment (of approx $80) was allegedly declined. No one made the effort to inform. It took them about an HOUR to get off - and the card they charged WAS the same card they were given at them beginning and no apology given. I have given my permission to charge my card, but since I still had credit left, it would appear a charge of $20 has been added after everything had closed down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, les37b said:

Yes, I knew you are a photographer and appreciate the need to bow and stern views. Most of my YouTube videos are timelapse, for sailings for port arrivals in places like Saigon and Hong Kong. I cannot imagine the frustration if I found out after boarding there was no viewing locations!

Likewise, I use a Halifax Clarity for that very same purpose. Interestingly, when I went to bed on the last night, I had a $10.80 credit still left on my account. Your question prompted me to check. Having already witnessed 4 different "errors" for charges to me account, I am rather surprised to see that I have a charge from Scarlet lady on the card for £7.37 (which appears to be a conversion done by Halifax as it states its $10.20 and works about at approx $1.38 to the £)

So, you cannot view ANY charges on your account as the app gets closed down before you rise for breakfast. You don't get notified of any charges that has been put on your account / CC and you do not receive a final bill. My son and his friend were last off the ship with us all waiting for him on land. Like him, I thought the purpose of the verified card added to the account, was to charge (like was done with mine) and all was fluid and transparent. For some reason, his payment (of approx $80) was allegedly declined. No one made the effort to inform. It took them about an HOUR to get off - and the card they charged WAS the same card they were given at them beginning and no apology given. I have given my permission to charge my card, but since I still had credit left, it would appear a charge of $20 has been added after everything had closed down.

Oh Dear. Thanks so much for the heads up.

I think Virgin placed a $250 pending transaction on to my Barclaycard as it showed as £180 something.

I did not spend anything extra onboard, as my drinks bill whilst on board was paid for by Virgins on board credit and complimentary drinks.  The pending transaction slipped off  just after 2 weeks.  I did however get a mini statement pushed under my cabin door after a few days onboard showing the declining credit.  The app also displayed my credit balance even on disembarkation morning.

Edited by LifeonMars