Rusty Cruiser, please be patient?

BigMomma409

Haven't sailed in a few years & booked a last minute MUCH needed cruise that sails in a few days. I have a few pretty stupid questions. I promise I tried to search for the answers!

I take several prescription medications. Do I need to bring them all in the original bottles? I mean, I figure I do, but that's kind of a pain. I usually have them in one of those Momaw organizers.

Since people try their hardest to sneak on alcohol and they are looking so hard for that, are they going to give me a hard time if I try to bring on a small bottle of dish soap to wash out my insulated water bottle & metal straws? I know that's probably a pretty stupid question too, but I'm a classic overthinker 🙃 

I read that Carnival switched to Pepsi 🤢 Do they not have any Coke products on board at all? I know how stupid that sounded...but like can I not order a Jack and Coke at the bar?

I always bring my medications (I'm a transplant patient) w/ me in their bottles just in case. I don't know just in case of what but I feel better. I'm not aware of a rule about that though. I suppose if for some reason, some one, some where had a concern about them the bottles with the prescription on the front would clear it up? They won't care about a little thing of dish soap assuming it clear looks and smells like soap, lol- and if's it small I doubt they'd pay much attention anyway. There's no coke, sorry. You could bring it with you. There's limits and container styles that you have to abide by listed on Carnival's site- 12 cans I think is the limit and it has to be cans as well, I think- I've never carried it on board. BUT I don't know if the bars on the ships could use it to mix up a rum and coke or not. I guess you could get a rum on the rocks and go to your room to add the coke.

My husband has several prescriptions.  He travels with them in "Monday thru Sunday" containers.  He takes extra just in case our trip is delayed, which is probably something everyone needs to do in case they get quarantined.  We take pictures of his prescription bottles so we have the information.

Happy sailing!  I've traveled with small containers of things like contact solution and never had a problem.  I think they are looking for plastic drink containers.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BigMomma409 said:

Haven't sailed in a few years & booked a last minute MUCH needed cruise that sails in a few days. I have a few pretty stupid questions. I promise I tried to search for the answers!

I take several prescription medications. Do I need to bring them all in the original bottles? I mean, I figure I do, but that's kind of a pain. I usually have them in one of those Momaw organizers.

1.)There's no need to take the original bottles. I don't & neither does my wife. They don't check. We take those 7 day pill organizers.

Since people try their hardest to sneak on alcohol and they are looking so hard for that, are they going to give me a hard time if I try to bring on a small bottle of dish soap to wash out my insulated water bottle & metal straws? I know that's probably a pretty stupid question too, but I'm a classic overthinker 🙃 

2.) Not stupid at all! I think it's a good idea! I don't think you'll have any problems. And if you do the worst that can happen is they will simply confiscate it. But I don't see that happening.

I read that Carnival switched to Pepsi 🤢 Do they not have any Coke products on board at all? I know how stupid that sounded...but like can I not order a Jack and Coke at the bar?

3.) Correct. They do not have any Coke product on board..only Pepsi products. 

1 minute ago, BigMomma409 said:

Related alcohol sneaker question.... are they going to hassle me over me bringing a bottle of hand sanitizer?

If it's a small bottle- like pocket size they won't even look at it (unless you have like 20 or something, lol)- if it's a liter they might open it and smell it and maybe squeeze a bit out but that would be it.

I assume you are vaccinated and completed all the health forms. I only ask because if not you cant board.

My sister takes a lot of medications and we have done both. Once there was a hurricane and we worried when we would come back and cant refill without original bottles. Agree it's a pita but safer. Bring double just in case of a hurricane delay. We kept them in the safe. 

You can carry some coke on, though I'm a pepsi fan, I guess some are picky about coke. 

3 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

If it's a small bottle- like pocket size they won't even look at it (unless you have like 20 or something, lol)- if it's a liter they might open it and smell it and maybe squeeze a bit out but that would be it.

I brought my travel sized hand sanitizer in my cargo shorts. I really don't thing you need a big bottle, as they have plenty of hand sanitizers aboard the ship. You'll be fine. 👍 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

I always bring my medications (I'm a transplant patient) w/ me in their bottles just in case. I don't know just in case of what but I feel better. I'm not aware of a rule about that though. I suppose if for some reason, some one, some where had a concern about them the bottles with the prescription on the front would clear it up? They won't care about a little thing of dish soap assuming it clear looks and smells like soap, lol- and if's it small I doubt they'd pay much attention anyway. There's no coke, sorry. You could bring it with you. There's limits and container styles that you have to abide by listed on Carnival's site- 12 cans I think is the limit and it has to be cans as well, I think- I've never carried it on board. BUT I don't know if the bars on the ships could use it to mix up a rum and coke or not. I guess you could get a rum on the rocks and go to your room to add the coke.

I have done the opposite when it comes to the medication issue. Have been bringing them on in the organizer for 16 years and have never been bothered by either TSA of the cruise lines. Bottles are left home, all I carry is a list and of what I am caring. You are correct it’s 12 cans per person, cans only and it’must be carried on.

• Like 2

Thanks y'all, I feel a little bit better about it all. I was on hold with Carnival for an hour to ask some of these questions before I gave up. Yes, I'm vaccinated. I sail 2 days before the test requirement, but we already had one booked for October before I decided to book this last minute one a few days ago. I'm usually a proactive planner and take my time getting all my ducks in a row and I threw myself in the deep end and booked myself on a cruise 8 days before it sails! 🤪 I need the vacation, but OMFG am I stressing myself out!

• Like 3

Just now, BigMomma409 said:

Thanks y'all, I feel a little bit better about it all. I was on hold with Carnival for an hour to ask some of these questions before I gave up. Yes, I'm vaccinated. I sail 2 days before the test requirement, but we already had one booked for October before I decided to book this last minute one a few days ago. I'm usually a proactive planner and take my time getting all my ducks in a row and I threw myself in the deep end and booked myself on a cruise 8 days before it sails! 🤪 I need the vacation, but OMFG am I stressing myself out!

That sounds great though! I'm jealous- I still have 13 days before leaving and would love to be going in 2 days! I hope you have a great time!

• Like 1

I would strongly suggest anyone bring their Rx's in the original bottles, with at least a 2 week supply longer than your cruise, especially in the current climate. 

Depending on the medication your doctor might not be able to call a supply in for you in Texas/Florida if you aren't from those states. I have always advocated traveling with at least 2-3 days more than is "needed" but at this point, things like my DH's asthma inhalers, I will be getting a brand new vacation supply override with our insurance so that he can take brand new 30 days worth ones instead. 

It's great to be optimistic that nothing will go wrong, but if you take a life sustaining medication, better inconvenienced by the larger bottles/containers than not have it if something does go wrong! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigMomma409 said:

We travel with our medications in the Sun-Sat containers. My husband has severe back pain and rheumatoid arthritis and occasionally takes Tramadol or oxy.  THOSE meds we take in the prescription bottles.  We didn't take them one cruise and he was miserable and I had him go get acupuncture at the Spa and it literally cost almost a thousand dollars so pack smartly.  Anything narcotic or near narcotic should be taken in their bottles.

DH is on quite a bit of prescription meds as well as supplements. Taking the original bottles would require another suitcase, 😉 We have always taken his weekly organizer, with rubber bands around just in case, and take an extra week, again just in case. We haven't cruised since I was diagnosed and went into treatment for cancer so now we will have to do the same thing for me...ah, aging is so fun 🤪

RE Coke...believe it or not, I actually wrote to them lamenting Carnival's change...I am hooked on Coke 0 and we used to get bottomless bubbles. I assume it has to be the cost...Sam's has switched their snack area to all Pepsi products all the time as well. We each carry on a 12 pack of canned coke (it HAS TO BE CANS). 

Have a wonderful cruise!!! Definitely jealous but looking forward to one we have planned for early next year. 

LEGALLY your meds should be in their labeled bottle.

That said, I have traveled the world and just carried mine in a bottle with how many I would need, never had an issue.

If I was traveling overseas, I would carry the bottle for the stuff they worry about, like opiates.

They don't care about your BP or heartburn meds...only the DRUG drugs....and the handful you might have is not worth the paperwork.

Now don't be trying to take your prescription weed, that will not fly...no way, no how

DH and I both take our prescriptions in daily pill containers. We do take a few extra days, just in case. I also use a separate pill container to bring Tylenol, Benadryl, etc.

That being said, none of our medication is life or death, or else I might feel differently about our level of preparedness.

I bring all sorts of travel size and full size toiletries when I travel (I almost always check a bag so I don't have to worry about sizes) and have never been stopped for a single item, liquid or otherwise. I can't imagine they would care even a little bit about dish soap or hand sanitizer.