Jeans in Dining Room for Dinner?

jdlg4silb

10 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

I wouldn’t assume they are the same shorts.  Both DH  and I buy (and bring) multiples of certain clothing items.  Bottoms are more likely to be duplicate colors too.  I have 3 pair of both khaki shorts and pants.  Usually they will all be brought on a cruise.  

Same here... I have three pairs of my favourite black shorts.  Oakley is the brand, and they have the Oakley logo on the left leg near the hem.  You might see me many times wearing these shorts on a 14 day cruise, but they get changed to clean ones and the dirty ones laundered in between.  For some however you are going to think that I have worn the same thing for 14 days.

image.png.a57a361a4091b00e8bba9eb0ea9bc1d8.png

12 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

I wouldn’t assume they are the same shorts.  Both DH  and I buy (and bring) multiples of certain clothing items.  

I do too, but in this case, all 6 of us felt reasonably certain that this guy wore the same clothes day in and day out. When you know, you know... 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, longterm said:

I do too, but in this case, all 6 of us felt reasonably certain that this guy wore the same clothes day in and day out. When you know, you know... 🙂

Did his luggage go AWOL and Viking washed these nightly?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

Did his luggage go AWOL and Viking washed these nightly?

I couldn't say, but if so, they were AWOL for 2 weeks.

I didn't get close enough to him to actually have a conversation. 

13 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

We were on a trans Atlantic and met a couple whose luggage went AWOL.  The wife was quite overweight, and found it impossible to find any clothes that fit before she boarded in Barcelona.  There might have been clothing stores for overweight, but I have had little luck finding clothing in my size myself, and I am smaller than she was.  Anyway, this woman boarded with few pieces of clothing.  Viking was washing her clothing nightly and returning them to her.  After listening to her, I rarely think poorly because I wore ill fitting clothing when my luggage went AWOL in Turkey and the largest size I could find was a size 8 in a resort town to fit my size 14 body.  I roamed the town in mens shorts and t shirts, and wore a rather obscene too small swim suit so I could enjoy the beautiful area.  Luckily, we got our luggage day 4 of the 6 days we were there.  

It sounds like you handled the situation as well as you could have, and still found a way to enjoy the cruise you paid for. Well done.

If the people who engage in judgmentalism as a hobby did so about you, so be it. 

1 hour ago, longterm said:

I couldn't say, but if so, they were AWOL for 2 weeks.

I didn't get close enough to him to actually have a conversation. 

Maybe his Ancestors  were Vikings .

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2024 at 6:34 PM, TinaLee said:

Why do the overweight always get these comments? Seriously, why is that acceptable? Was that the single bad outfit you saw on your entire holiday? And why did you feel the need to share it? Do you feel better now? SMH 

It wouldn't have been a good look on anybody, puce and or/velour never is, but the disparity between clothing size worn and clothing size that would have fit nicely resulted in far too much information about the wearer. 

It was also not dress code compliant for that location and time, being sportswear. 

I'm not built for tight or revealing clothing, so guess what? I don't wear that type of clothing, loose or  tailored being better, in non clinging fabric

On 8/4/2024 at 7:01 PM, Jim Avery said:

Wow, calm down.

You have to admit you see some very inappropriate dressing of all sorts on cruise ships these days.

When I was a kid you had to pay a quarter and go into a tent to see such.😱

If you've got it, for the love of God, hide it! 

21 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

It wouldn't have been a good look on anybody, puce and or/velour never is, but the disparity between clothing size worn and clothing size that would have fit nicely resulted in far too much information about the wearer. 

It was also not dress code compliant for that location and time, being sportswear. 

I'm not built for tight or revealing clothing, so guess what? I don't wear that type of clothing, loose or  tailored being better, in non clinging fabric

Look at it this way.  If their luggage had gone AWOL and this was the only clothing that they could stretch to fit, would you have been so judgmental about it?  

Overweight woman have a horrible time finding clothing to fit in the US.  I know where I can go to get clothes to fit in the US, but these days 99% of what I buy is online.   I can very rarely walk into a store and buy something right now (and I’m not as large as many).  Now imagine you have no clothes but the ones on your back and you are getting on a cruise ship.  The ship leaves in 6 hours, you have 2 hours to shop and are clueless as to where to go.  You grab something that you can get into, regardless as to how bad it looks because you know your clothes that fit are going to need to be washed and your options are a poorly fitting robe or your birthday suit. 

This is what this woman on our TA dealt with.  I invited her to my cabin to try on anything she wanted to see if she could get anything to fit.  Nothing did, unfortunately.  I felt for her,  I wished I could have helped her out.  

• Like 7

I seldom notice what people are wearing unless we are in line for dinner.But  I am surprised that people don’t make a small effort when eating in The Restaurant. I have three Viking cruises in the next year and even if you have just one, and it’s a shorter one, it’s not cheap. So I’m surprised that people who can afford Viking, can’t afford a few nice clothes for their cruise. I guess I’m old fashioned and would not go out in public without neat, clean, presentable clothing. It doesn’t have to be expensive ( LLBEAN and Lands End are my usual day wear). Of course, I understand the delay of luggage because it just happened to me. That is a mess and it can ruin a holiday unfortunately. I guess this discussion will never stop and honestly I always find it interesting, and I love some of the very funny comments. 

• Like 3

On 7/24/2024 at 10:08 AM, OneSixtyToOne said:

Also, no need to wear a robe to the spa. They are provided in the locker rooms.

You are absolutely right!  Robes are indeed provided in the locker rooms, however we have often found that no lockers are available which makes it difficult to change into bathing attire.  After experiencing this several times we now just put on our suits, don a robe and head to the spa via the forward elevators which are located directly in front of the spa on deck 1.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, molymoo said:

You are absolutely right!  Robes are indeed provided in the locker rooms, however we have often found that no lockers are available which makes it difficult to change into bathing attire.  After experiencing this several times we now just put on our suits, don a robe and head to the spa via the forward elevators which are located directly in front of the spa on deck 1.  

This is entirely fine.  You walk on your cabin's deck to the elevators outside the Spa.

You don't walk through the Living Room, or go to the WC.

We most often book deck 3 and tend to book mid-ship aft cabins, which means that we must walk through the Deck 3 Atrium area and be seen by those in the Living Room if they are looking up...  Sorry.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Look at it this way.  If their luggage had gone AWOL and this was the only clothing that they could stretch to fit, would you have been so judgmental about it?  

Overweight woman have a horrible time finding clothing to fit in the US.  I know where I can go to get clothes to fit in the US, but these days 99% of what I buy is online.   I can very rarely walk into a store and buy something right now (and I’m not as large as many).  Now imagine you have no clothes but the ones on your back and you are getting on a cruise ship.  The ship leaves in 6 hours, you have 2 hours to shop and are clueless as to where to go.  You grab something that you can get into, regardless as to how bad it looks because you know your clothes that fit are going to need to be washed and your options are a poorly fitting robe or your birthday suit. 

This is what this woman on our TA dealt with.  I invited her to my cabin to try on anything she wanted to see if she could get anything to fit.  Nothing did, unfortunately.  I felt for her,  I wished I could have helped her out.  

By then there had been three overnight stays in port towns with good shops, and the onboard shop had a decent selection of shirts, a men's shirt worn with the tracksuit bottoms as leggings would have worked. 

Clothing in the relevent size isn't difficult to get where we were, or in Europe in general

We have only taken one Viking Ocean cruise and it was a trans-Atlantic.  I was quite surprised by the number of passengers who did not bring any clothing that I would consider smart casual with them (or they didn't wear it).  Numerous passengers wore zippered pants, the type where one can choose to have them as shorts or long pants, to dinner in the MDR.  IMO, nice dress jeans would be much more appropriate attire for dinner than safari style clothing.  Viking Ocean gives options as to where one chooses to dine, and that includes giving the option of wearing very, and I do mean very from what I saw, casual clothing.  For me, I love to have a chance to wear my "fancy" clothes that make dinner in a restaurant more special for me.  If I don't feel like getting dolled up, I choose not to go to the MDR or specialty restaurants.  I just don't get what's hard about doing that for those passengers who don't want to follow the MDR dress code.  Either take something with you that meets the dress code, or choose not to and dine where the clothes you bring are acceptable.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

By then there had been three overnight stays in port towns with good shops, and the onboard shop had a decent selection of shirts, a men's shirt worn with the tracksuit bottoms as leggings would have worked. 

Clothing in the relevent size isn't difficult to get where we were, or in Europe in general

Unless you are looking or have ever looked, you are clueless.  I’ve looked.  
Your suggestion is useless.

• Like 5

On 8/5/2024 at 8:54 AM, Redtravel said:

Your cruise. Wear whatever you like. Just keep it clean. On Viking Ocean, you can easily do laundry. 

It's this kind of attitude that  contributes to the poor dress choices  that some people exhibit on Viking.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mariners said:

If I don't feel like getting dolled up, I choose not to go to the MDR or specialty restaurants.  I just don't get what's hard about doing that for those passengers who don't want to follow the MDR dress code.  

But that's the issue.  The safari pants are within the dress code - as well as the crappy polo's I've referred to before.

I simply think, given Viking's target market, there will always be a wide range of dress on their cruises.  I would imagine the gentleman in the safari pants was very likely a "thinking person".  

• Haha 2

Breckski, I don't believe the zippered safari pants are within the dress code as laid out by Viking for the MDR. 

"During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, swim shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM."

We travel with zippered safari pants and wear them in different settings.  I'm not familiar with the term "thinking person" and, although I've checked online to see what it means, I'm not sure that I understand what you are stating.  I would never judge a person's intelligence, interests, wealth, etc. from the clothes they wear.  My statements about dress code are based on what is stated in materials provided by the cruise line, and are not comments about any specific individual in regards to anything else.

• Like 2

Quite clearly the outfit you described fits under "trousers and a collared shirt"

38 minutes ago, mariners said:

Breckski, I don't believe the zippered safari pants are within the dress code as laid out by Viking for the MDR. 

"During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, swim shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM."

We travel with zippered safari pants and wear them in different settings.  I'm not familiar with the term "thinking person" and, although I've checked online to see what it means, I'm not sure that I understand what you are stating.  I would never judge a person's intelligence, interests, wealth, etc. from the clothes they wear.  My statements about dress code are based on what is stated in materials provided by the cruise line, and are not comments about any specific individual in regards to anything else.

. You are saying you don't like the design of what they chose to meet that requirement. That's different. "Elegant casual" is a meaningless term and so can't be enforced.

It's fine that you want to wear your "fancy clothes" to the MDR. By all means do so. For others, the idea of "fancy clothes" and vacation are antithetical. As long as they meet the letter of the dress code (as will I) I don't care what others are wearing.

42 minutes ago, mariners said:

I'm not familiar with the term "thinking person" and, although I've checked online to see what it means, I'm not sure that I understand what you are stating.

It's Viking's slogan.  A cruise for the thinking person.

And the term trousers is crazy hard to define & enforce.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Breckski, thanks for the explanation!  Somehow, through all of the PR, reading the Viking Ocean website, and reading Cruise Critic posts, I missed Viking's slogan. 

formernuke, I guess the only response I have is that Viking Ocean is a "thinking person" cruise line, but not necessarily a thoughtful person cruise line.  Just as all aspects of life, one can choose to interpret words however one chooses.  My choice is different than your choice and we will just have to agree to disagree and let Viking Ocean determine what they mean, or not.

I would much prefer that cruise lines didn't have to enforce anything.  However, in the big picture, and all of the world events, clothes are the least of my worries.

Now, raising a toast to my mother whose favourite dress code was nude; thankfully, she didn't share that with most of the world.  🤣  On that note, I leave this thread to others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Unless you are looking or have ever looked, you are clueless.  I’ve looked.  
Your suggestion is useless.

You are saying that clothing is difficult to get in Europe? Not noticed any problems in all the decades I have lived here

• Like 2
  • Haha 1