Live from Steerage. Onboard Mardi Gras now. Ask us anything.

KmomChicago

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Our ship on a stick has a friend now. We tried but couldn’t win one on Sensation so poor old reborn Triumph has been lonely for a while.

FD42F91F-647F-476A-B468-1E0655D1E533.jpeg

I appreciate you taking us along on your vacation and sharing your thoughts, insight and opinion.  I feel I am much more prepared for our upcoming stay on this wonderful ship in October.  I really like the hat in your photo; do you recall which shop you purchased it from?  Also, the jacket looks like one that appeared in one of the parodeejay vlogs that my daughter is interested in.  Do you mind sharing what the cost was?  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

The pedicabs are available for gratuities to take you to and from the Dufry shop. They won't go further than that so you still need to walk its length.

The pier is all flat and you can bring scooters.

I forgot about those!

4 hours ago, balcony bound said:

Thanks Kmom for taking the time to do this, I hope it didn't distract from your "FUN" (or meals!). I've appreciated your thoughts and your sense of humor as well.  Hope you travel again soon and take us with.

It was fun to share and serves as a journal for me to keep it all straight now as I have that CRS condition (can’t remember squat).  It enhanced my fun and I’ll do it next time whenever that may be.

1 hour ago, busymomintc said:

I appreciate you taking us along on your vacation and sharing your thoughts, insight and opinion.  I feel I am much more prepared for our upcoming stay on this wonderful ship in October.  I really like the hat in your photo; do you recall which shop you purchased it from?  Also, the jacket looks like one that appeared in one of the parodeejay vlogs that my daughter is interested in.  Do you mind sharing what the cost was?  

Del Sol store at Mahogany Bay. I’m pretty sure they are at just about every Caribbean and Bahamian cruise port. Here’s what it looks like in the sunshine when it does its color change.

Jacket was right about 50 which I was pretty happy with. It’s sharp looking and flattering.

45BC8AFC-B8C2-449B-8627-841F10640E6A.jpeg

671D6E5B-FA84-443E-8B0E-5A20E9383F82.jpeg

Edited by KmomChicago

Hey, do you know where the self-service soda dispensers are located? These are for use with a drink card; just swipe your card and dispense. Also, is there a dispenser for juices that aren't part of the free ones you find at the buffet?

Hey, do you know where the self-service soda dispensers are located? These are for use with a drink card; just swipe your card and dispense. Also, is there a dispenser for juices that aren't part of the free ones you find at the buffet?

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

We found soda dispensers at the Pig and Anchor Smokehouse deck 8 aft and at the Lido Marketplace buffet.

No dispenser for juice. 

Okay, I just told everyone we have no further cruises booked and that I am completely fine with inside rooms. Both of those things were true when I typed them. And I whined about our flight home Saturday night. And then I thought about how I long ago figured out Baltimore is the closest port to drive to, and my mom would only come with us if we drive anyway. So then I looked at the upcoming school holiday break schedule and liked what I saw.

Talked to my mom, who wasn't really planning to go on any more cruises, but after all, has never tried Carnival, and who has a completely different idea of what kind of room she is willing to inhabit, and somehow, I really am not quite sure how it happened, we ended up with a confirmation for the following two rooms for the 4 of us on deck 6.  I think I must have blacked out or something.  I don't remember a thing. It wasn't me. Nobody saw anything. You can't prove it. It's all Carnival's fault. 

So here we are. You travel with people, ya gotta give them what they want. Mom and I will share the big 'un and it will also function as the living room for all of us, because she's my mom. A few doors down we will have DH and teen in the "2nd bedroom."  I guess we're cruising again and quite a bit sooner than I expected.

image.png.168452645641682fe201440b08817a54.png

image.png.c490034a146efc54172a2b60c0cef9e2.png

image.png.d30421598c5380c594b6c0a788e3900b.png

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Okay, I just told everyone we have no further cruises booked and that I am completely fine with inside rooms. Both of those things were true when I typed them. And I whined about our flight home Saturday night. And then I thought about how I long ago figured out Baltimore is the closest port to drive to, and my mom would only come with us if we drive anyway. So then I looked at the upcoming school holiday break schedule and liked what I saw.

Talked to my mom, who wasn't really planning to go on any more cruises, but after all, has never tried Carnival, and who has a completely different idea of what kind of room she is willing to inhabit, and somehow, I really am not quite sure how it happened, we ended up with a confirmation for the following two rooms for the 4 of us on deck 6.  I think I must have blacked out or something.  I don't remember a thing. It wasn't me. Nobody saw anything. You can't prove it. It's all Carnival's fault. 

So here we are. You travel with people, ya gotta give them what they want. Mom and I will share the big 'un and it will also function as the living room for all of us, because she's my mom. A few doors down we will have DH and teen in the "2nd bedroom."  I guess we're cruising again and quite a bit sooner than I expected.

image.png.168452645641682fe201440b08817a54.png

image.png.c490034a146efc54172a2b60c0cef9e2.png

image.png.d30421598c5380c594b6c0a788e3900b.png

WOO HOO!!  Welcome to my world!! You know you'll find another one.....it's calling you.....😄

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2021 at 6:07 PM, kdr69 said:

Yes thanks for an awesome review.  I felt i was there on the ship with you.  Hopefully you will cruise again some day and we will run into each other.  Take care.

Can't believe it but I just booked Legend out of Baltimore December 19. 🙂

• Like 2

After I confirmed the cruise booking for Legend, my husband was so excited he logged right back into the Hub App to start watching the new countdown.  He gave me a little playful ribbing about having to be in the inside cabin while mom and I are living large in the Grand Suite (though of course he and the teen will have close to free reign in there as well).  Then I told him how much we are paying for the inside during this almost-high season week, and he said, "that's not bad!"

And then I told him how much the GS costs.  And now he's completely happy with the 4D.😆🤑💰💸💵💲 As always we would never choose this room, but mom will be splitting it with me and there is absolutely no point in cramming someone into a broom closet with a Scootaround to be miserable at a time when they should be delighted. Peeps can handle certain things when they are young and poor that they CANNOT AND WILL NOT as everything about their daily life becomes an exercise in discomfort.

This will be a new class of ship for us. We've done Destiny class, Fantasy class and of course now Excel Class.  I'm excited to see how Spirit class upped the ante with extra venues and lots of balcony rooms in just a few thousand more tons than Fantasy. I'll be interested to see how we like going back to something (much) smaller and older after Mardi Gras. 

I'm looking forward to enjoying a Guy's Burger or three, as we had ENTIRELY TOO MANY OPTIONS on Mardi Gras to try everything including all the old favorites (what a problem).  My formerly MDR averse husband, who is also getting older like the rest of us, decided last week he is, after all, okay with taking an hour or so to be waited on in a nice room from an intriguing menu, so we have a rather different experience forthcoming as I take advantage of this change. I'm also excited to get my guest laundromat back. 

Let's face it. We are so hooked. Once you get settled on board a ship, there is nothing like the convenience of making yourself at home, having the Punchliner and the trivia and all the other entertainment and meals and the ocean and the sunshine and the water slides and the relaxation and the friendly crew. No repacking to get to a new destination.  If all goes well we will visit HMC and Freeport, both firsts for us. I realize Freeport is not considered a prime port call, but I see a little shopping village right there by the pier and that will do for my mom.

There's a longer term mental health aspect to this.  Having something to look forward to has a massive therapeutic benefit to ALL FOUR OF US. I can see it, I can feel it. We are more cheerful. We have something positive to talk about and anticipate with true and deep happiness and affection for each other.  It helps us get through our days at home and work and school. It gives us a reason to celebrate as the days become shorter and the trees and grass browner and the air colder, which has already started here in mid-August and I can only assume will follow the standard Illinois pattern we know so well. 

In short, the winter solstice is typically the pits for us. However, this shall NOT be the Winter of our Discontent. It will, in fact, be Legendary.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

After I confirmed the cruise booking for Legend, my husband was so excited he logged right back into the Hub App to start watching the new countdown.  He gave me a little playful ribbing about having to be in the inside cabin while mom and I are living large in the Grand Suite (though of course he and the teen will have close to free reign in there as well).  Then I told him how much we are paying for the inside during this almost-high season week, and he said, "that's not bad!"

And then I told him how much the GS costs.  And now he's completely happy with the 4D.😆🤑💰💸💵💲 As always we would never choose this room, but mom will be splitting it with me and there is absolutely no point in cramming someone into a broom closet with a Scootaround to be miserable at a time when they should be delighted. Peeps can handle certain things when they are young and poor that they CANNOT AND WILL NOT as everything about their daily life becomes an exercise in discomfort.

This will be a new class of ship for us. We've done Destiny class, Fantasy class and of course now Excel Class.  I'm excited to see how Spirit class upped the ante with extra venues and lots of balcony rooms in just a few thousand more tons than Fantasy. I'll be interested to see how we like going back to something (much) smaller and older after Mardi Gras. 

I'm looking forward to enjoying a Guy's Burger or three, as we had ENTIRELY TOO MANY OPTIONS on Mardi Gras to try everything including all the old favorites (what a problem).  My formerly MDR averse husband, who is also getting older like the rest of us, decided last week he is, after all, okay with taking an hour or so to be waited on in a nice room from an intriguing menu, so we have a rather different experience forthcoming as I take advantage of this change. I'm also excited to get my guest laundromat back. 

Let's face it. We are so hooked. Once you get settled on board a ship, there is nothing like the convenience of making yourself at home, having the Punchliner and the trivia and all the other entertainment and meals and the ocean and the sunshine and the water slides and the relaxation and the friendly crew. No repacking to get to a new destination.  If all goes well we will visit HMC and Freeport, both firsts for us. I realize Freeport is not considered a prime port call, but I see a little shopping village right there by the pier and that will do for my mom.

There's a longer term mental health aspect to this.  Having something to look forward to has a massive therapeutic benefit to ALL FOUR OF US. I can see it, I can feel it. We are more cheerful. We have something positive to talk about and anticipate with true and deep happiness and affection for each other.  It helps us get through our days at home and work and school. It gives us a reason to celebrate as the days become shorter and the trees and grass browner and the air colder, which has already started here in mid-August and I can only assume will follow the standard Illinois pattern we know so well. 

In short, the winter solstice is typically the pits for us. However, this shall NOT be the Winter of our Discontent. It will, in fact, be Legendary.

LOVE HMC!!!  As soon as it's available, GET A CABANA!!  The $399 one is perfect, A/C in the back of it if your mom needs a place to cool off.  A little fridge to keep drinks and snacks cold.  I have one booked for this Sept 4 cruise and I can't wait! 

• Thanks 1

After Dream and Panorama we still say the Spirit Class of ships is our favorite. It's like the story The Three Bears: Spirit Class is just right. The public rooms offer more space per guest than the others. If your guy uses the gym suggest to him he look for the locker room showers that have the rain shower head and the jets that blast water from the sides. These showers also have a small private dressing area with bench. The identical set up is in the ladies locker area and there's no added fee.

• Thanks 1

Just now, sanmarcosman said:

After Dream and Panorama we still say the Spirit Class of ships is our favorite. It's like the story The Three Bears: Spirit Class is just right. The public rooms offer more space per guest than the others. If your guy uses the gym suggest to him he look for the locker room showers that have the rain shower head and the jets that blast water from the sides. These showers also have a small private dressing area with bench. The identical set up is in the ladies locker area and there's no added fee.

Sounds like It's worth working out (reluctantly) just for the showers. We'll add it to the list for sure. I have seen a lot of positive comments on Spirit class so definitely exciting to have this chance. 🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

LOVE HMC!!!  As soon as it's available, GET A CABANA!!  The $399 one is perfect, A/C in the back of it if your mom needs a place to cool off.  A little fridge to keep drinks and snacks cold.  I have one booked for this Sept 4 cruise and I can't wait! 

We've never done the cabanas, and mom is probably not willing to do a tender, but It's tempting for sure. In the cold of December I will want to enjoy a tropical paradise so the splurge makes a lot of sense.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

We've never done the cabanas, and mom is probably willing to do a tender, but It's tempting for sure. In the cold of December I will want to enjoy a tropical paradise so the splurge makes a lot of sense.

If you charge it on your Carnival Barclay's card you get 10% off, or if you use an AllState Carnival gift card you get 10% off.  AND it's only $359, I misquoted the price. 😃

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 1