for those who are cruising this week Covid testing cost

joelheather

On 8/11/2021 at 6:57 AM, Bostwick girl said:

I live in Northeast Florida, a hot spot. All the Walgreens and CVS that do testing show no appointments available for 2 weeks out. Our health department does testing, but only on Tuesdays and Thursdays so any of those are currently not open for me unless things change before our August 30 Magic cruise. I can go to the urgent care and get tested but charge is $50 unless you’ve been exposed.

I live in Central Florida and just looked it up at the Minute Clinic at CVS and appointments and testing is wide open.  I could get an appointment tonight if I wanted one.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:33 PM, imallears said:

You can only book your appointment up to 3 days in advance of when you need to be tested. That is why you are seeing no availability. 

I’m looking at day by day, not for future. There is nothing available in the area we live in at Walgreens or cvs. In other words, say I looked today for appointment today, tomorrow and so on. There are NO APPOINTMENTS.

2 hours ago, FloridaMommyof3 said:

I live in Central Florida and just looked it up at the Minute Clinic at CVS and appointments and testing is wide open.  I could get an appointment tonight if I wanted one.

All I can say is you’re lucky to not live in Jacksonville or Palatka. 

On 8/11/2021 at 12:41 PM, Bermuda C said:

We just ours today at CVS. We are vaxed so we could get the Antigen (rapid).  Very easy, in an out in 5 minutes and got the results in 30.  No cost

I did the PCR/NAAT yesterday got the results this morning .Less than 24 hours. After reading all the False/Positive False/Negative etc fears about the rapid test I thought I better get the one thats most accurate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, undertoes10 said:

So, haven't you been exposed 😷 ???  Of course you were !!!!!

Try Gov2Go for your area.

Actually I was this past weekend, or at least that’s what I thought. Had visitors Saturday and Sunday. The one lady is in wheel chair. Monday her daughter tested her with a home self test because she was having some difficulty breathing and was sore all over. The test was positive! So I’m going out of town for a week this Sunday and needed to know. Couldn’t get appointments at CVS or Walgreens, but our Health Department does testing on Tuesdays and Thursdays. No appointment. So I was about 25th in line when they opened at 9 this morning. Took about an hour to get in and out and should have results in 2 to 5 days, but they said usually 2.  Later today I received word my visitor got another test at her doctors and it was negative!  So not too worried about my results now, but this option wouldn’t work for cruising since we leave on Monday August 30. The nurse at our testing site said they did 281 swabs on Tuesday! That’s a lot for a small town.

On 8/11/2021 at 4:47 PM, petuniaflower said:

Is the My Chart something anyone can create an account for/log in to, (ie Canadians), just want to ensure we will be able to get a hard copy/print out from somewhere?  Thx in advance!

They will send you an email after you make your appt with a link (good for 24 hrs) we got it Tues, got tested (PCR) Wednesday and just got email results are ready- log into MyChart and wahlah!

On 8/11/2021 at 11:10 AM, LadyMac72 said:

What about if you don't have insurance?  I do but my boyfriend doesn't....

They ask when you sign up - you will have to upload a copy of your ins card, he just has to put in his SS#

no charge either way (at CVS)

On 8/11/2021 at 6:50 AM, silversneakers said:

My insurance company told me they will not cover travel-related testing. I was unable to book a rapid test appt. at CVS, Walgreens or wherever online testing sites appeared.  I could book a PCR but did not want to risk the test results not getting back within the 72 hour window. I finally called my doctor who referred me to an urgent care facility. No online booking for Rapid, I had to call for an appt. and the cost is $60pp.

We didn't want to risk not getting the results back within the 72 hours window at places like CVS, Walgreens, etc. We are having our PCR tests done at the Minneapolis Airport the day before we fly to Iceland. We will get results within an hour.  Cost is $199 x two.  Insurance does not cover travel related Covid tests (at least that is the case with Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Medicare).

2 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

All I can say is you’re lucky to not live in Jacksonville or Palatka. 

I went back to cvs minute clinic site to try again. This time on the questionnaire I answered yes and it recommended I be tested. Pu in my zip code and there were plenty of appointments out about 2 weeks! Guess you have to lie to be able to schedule an appointment.

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2021 at 10:32 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

I disagree completely. Everyone should be able to get tested as they see fit. Testing should be covered for free. Testing to travel is just as important as someone testing whether they "may" have covid. If you think you will die in two weeks, get the vaccine and not worry about it!!!

"testing to travel is just as important as someone testing whether they may have covid"?? Really? So if I have a sore throat and cough that could be covid or could be allergies but I can't return to work until I have an answer, that's not more important than you getting your travel test? This is the height of selfishness. 

And sorry to tell you that travel medical issues have always been not or inconsistently covered by insurance. Try taking a trip the requires a specific vaccine (yellow fever, typhoid, etc). You'll have to pay out of pocket for that. If I can get tested for free for a trip, great. But to expect to be able to is unreasonable. 

1 minute ago, sanger727 said:

"testing to travel is just as important as someone testing whether they may have covid"?? Really? So if I have a sore throat and cough that could be covid or could be allergies but I can't return to work until I have an answer, that's not more important than you getting your travel test? This is the height of selfishness. 

And sorry to tell you that travel medical issues have always been not or inconsistently covered by insurance. Try taking a trip the requires a specific vaccine (yellow fever, typhoid, etc). You'll have to pay out of pocket for that. If I can get tested for free for a trip, great. But to expect to be able to is unreasonable. 

Absolutely not selfish at all. I have every right to travel freely as you have every right to be tested to work. My time is my time. I work my rear off for my vacation time and save a long time to be able to take it. Are you telling me because you have the sniffles and need to be tested to return to work is more important than me working for a year to take a 1-week vacation? I say F No!!! 

Selfish is telling me I cannot use MY earned vacation the way I want to. Sorry to tell you, to me YOUR time is far less valuable to me than my own time is to me. If there was only one test available, I scheduled it for my family vacation with the provider, and you come in asking for it randomly, I would not give it up for you so you could work. If you could not work because you couldn't get the test then  you can take sick leave or vacation leave. You can also use FMLA for it as well. You can go to the hospital or drive 4-hours somewhere else to get it. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dollyoscar said:

We didn't want to risk not getting the results back within the 72 hours window at places like CVS, Walgreens, etc. We are having our PCR tests done at the Minneapolis Airport the day before we fly to Iceland. We will get results within an hour.  Cost is $199 x two.  Insurance does not cover travel related Covid tests (at least that is the case with Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Medicare).

We have found from a pharmacist friend on how to get the rapid test there so insurance pays for it. It is all in how you answer the questions. Obviously the first asks if it is for travel. You can select Yes or No, but that may trigger a cost to you. The others ask if you may have been in close contact with someone that may have had covid. Yes to that is simple and it is not lying. You have no clue what anyone else has and if you went to a grocery, you are set.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Absolutely not selfish at all. I have every right to travel freely as you have every right to be tested to work. My time is my time. I work my rear off for my vacation time and save a long time to be able to take it. Are you telling me because you have the sniffles and need to be tested to return to work is more important than me working for a year to take a 1-week vacation? I say F No!!! 

Selfish is telling me I cannot use MY earned vacation the way I want to. Sorry to tell you, to me YOUR time is far less valuable to me than my own time is to me. If there was only one test available, I scheduled it for my family vacation with the provider, and you come in asking for it randomly, I would not give it up for you so you could work. If you could not work because you couldn't get the test then  you can take sick leave or vacation leave. You can also use FMLA for it as well. You can go to the hospital or drive 4-hours somewhere else to get it. 

Ok. I can't continue a conversation that tries to compare the right to vacation in the same light as the need to work. No, I fundamentally disagree with that. Vacations are earned and privileges and not rights. People HAVE to work to pay bills and not everyone has access to alot of spare sick/vacation time to take off if they get sick. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

People HAVE to work to pay bills and not everyone has access to alot of spare sick/vacation time to take off if they get sick. 

I guess you have not seen what has been going on the last 18 months. People are getting paid more not to work. And no, your need to work is important to you and your family. It is not more important than me working to earn MY vacation and take it as we see fit. 

What you are saying is I should cancel my vacation, deal with credits, canceling flights, canceling excursions, canceling hotels, canceling ground transportation, pay the cancel fee for our pet sitters, ask work if I can cancel my scheduled vacation leave (they would not approve it), and be stuck with all of this because of YOU? No, this is a YOU problem. YOU have to deal with it. Go start a GoFund me page for it or whatever. How ridiculous are you to think your time is more valuable than anyone elses. 

Edited by BoozinCroozin
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I guess you have not seen what has been going on the last 18 months. People are getting paid more not to work. And no, your need to work is important to you and your family. It is not more important than me working to earn MY vacation and take it as we see fit. 

What you are saying is I should cancel my vacation, deal with credits, canceling flights, canceling excursions, canceling hotels, canceling ground transportation, pay the cancel fee for our pet sitters, ask work if I can cancel my scheduled vacation leave (they would not approve it), and be stuck with all of this because of YOU? No, this is a YOU problem. YOU have to deal with it. Go start a GoFund me page for it or whatever. How ridiculous are you to think your time is more valuable than anyone elses. 

This really isn't a YOU or ME issue since that only considers two tests taken in two different locations so not a problem. Like all of covid, one test, one hospitalization, one person off work doesn't matter. It's when the numbers hit high enough that it becomes a societal problem like lack of tests, full hospitals, and businesses shutting down to do covid spread. I don't think My time is more valuable than yours. I think that on a societal level, people being able to go to work is more important than people being able to go on vacation. And if testing runs in short supply, as it seems to be doing now. Yes, I am 100% onboard with tests being reserved for people who have symptoms/exposures and facilitates people who are sick staying home and being who are healthy being able to work so society can function. And if that is at the expense of some people missing their vacations this year; so be it. 

36 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

We have found from a pharmacist friend on how to get the rapid test there so insurance pays for it. It is all in how you answer the questions. Obviously the first asks if it is for travel. You can select Yes or No, but that may trigger a cost to you. The others ask if you may have been in close contact with someone that may have had covid. Yes to that is simple and it is not lying. You have no clue what anyone else has and if you went to a grocery, you are set.

Good info here, thank you. 

Question: do you know (or have you read) if the results page say the reason for the test (i.e tested bc of possible close contact)? Just curious since i would think if it did, then that would have to match up with how we answer the health questionairre from the cruiselines as well. If you dk then thats fine, i was just wondering about this before my next cruise.

8 minutes ago, CruisinMama2003 said:

Good info here, thank you. 

Question: do you know (or have you read) if the results page say the reason for the test (i.e tested bc of possible close contact)? Just curious since i would think if it did, then that would have to match up with how we answer the health questionairre from the cruiselines as well. If you dk then thats fine, i was just wondering about this before my next cruise.

I took one test at walgreens and the results don't list the reason for the test.

I wouldn't advocate people to lie to get testing for free however, it may inadvertently move you up a list that you shouldn't be moved up on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've just learned that our insurance does NOT cover any of the RAPID testing formats needed by CCL.  Be sure to check with your insurance so you don't get surprised. I was surprised by this, as we have good health insurance.  They will cover the other tests, but those results would not come back in time under the current CCL policy.  The only option for us (if we weren't cancelling) would be the at home tests, as they are much less costly.  Just sharing for those who need to know.  Happy cruising!

4 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Don't bother explaining yourself.  This pandemic has brought out some pretty strange 'expectations' from people.  They are usually simply self centered demands that are put out under the guise of 'common good'.

• Like 1

Myself and wife just tested today at walgreens did not even ask to see our insurance cards and had results in about 2 hours. We stressed over this added hurdle for a week and ultimately was a non issue,  not bad for a Friday the 13th. My advice is calm down and respect your fellow cruisers,  everyone handles stress differently and are probably great people when not under all the problems we have all hade this past year and a half.

• Like 5

On 8/10/2021 at 8:26 PM, CruisingFromLA said:

Here is the CVS questionnaire when making an appointment for a Covid test. Just answer yes to the 2nd question. 

image.thumb.png.901bac75aed86c5af76f6262a8bb9c95.png

By answering "yes" to the first question (travel, work or recreation), then the cost is free.  At least that is what CVS website says.  

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately in my area they are out of supplies for the rapid tests so both Walgreens and Legacy Go Health have no appointment available unless you are feeling symptoms.  While I won't judge anyone else for saying they are feeling symptoms in order to get a test, I simply don't feel that I would OK utilizing 3 tests when others who are sick actually need them.

I do have a PCR test scheduled for Wednesday but I am worried because they say results typically come within a day of when the samples are picked up.  If it is picked up on Wednesday, I should have results on Thursday but it could be on Friday.  Since my flight is on Friday, I'm nervous.

Does anyone have the link for where I can buy 3 of the Emed home tests?

37 minutes ago, Shayhooper said:

Unfortunately in my area they are out of supplies for the rapid tests so both Walgreens and Legacy Go Health have no appointment available unless you are feeling symptoms.  While I won't judge anyone else for saying they are feeling symptoms in order to get a test, I simply don't feel that I would OK utilizing 3 tests when others who are sick actually need them.

I do have a PCR test scheduled for Wednesday but I am worried because they say results typically come within a day of when the samples are picked up.  If it is picked up on Wednesday, I should have results on Thursday but it could be on Friday.  Since my flight is on Friday, I'm nervous.

Does anyone have the link for where I can buy 3 of the Emed home tests?

All primary physicians will test you if you have symptoms no questions asked so I don’t feel bad in the least doing what I have to do to get my test covered at an urgent care or CVS/Walgreens. I didn’t create the situation that’s mandating I test before I go therefore I don’t feel bad using the system to my advantage to not have to pay.. I got vaccinated just so I could travel and now that’s not enough so no guilt on my end saying I have been exposed and have symptoms to not pay $300 for test for my wife and I.. 

• Like 3