Will the Jade make it to Africa?

Lvntrvl

We are currently scheduled on the Jade from Dubai to Cape Town in December. Given the current situation with Covid and restrictions at several ports,  do you think that the Jade will likely sail to Africa this season? If not, what would you predict for itinerary changes?

Personally, I don't think so.  My son-in-law works for VW in Port Elizabeth.  It's in partial lockdown, curfews, demonstrations in the street.  But December  is 4 months away.  So who knows by then.  Unfortunately, seems to be getting worse, not better.  

33 minutes ago, roger001 said:

.  But December  is 4 months away.  So who knows by then.  Unfortunately, seems to be getting worse, not better.  

It may be December is 4 months away, but the sailing to Africa starts on November 15th. I am on it, or should I say supposed to be on it. They need to make that call real quick.

OP,

Look at the ports. Covid in Israel, and Oman now level 4 and they make up 5 port days till Dubai. Then Oman, Seychelles, Reunion, Madagascar, and Mauritius are all not allowing ship in on the way to Cape town. That is 13 nights of the 18 day sailing that is useless.

I don't think they can sail it as South Africa is only 7% vaxed. They are offering a handful of week sailings going to the other side of the cape then heading back to Greece.

My best guess??? They will cancel it and stay doing the week cruises from Athens.  

Steve

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

It may be December is 4 months away, but the sailing to Africa starts on November 15th. I am on it, or should I say supposed to be on it. They need to make that call real quick.

My best guess??? They will cancel it and stay doing the week cruises from Athens.  

Steve

My guess is they need to make a decision on the Nov 15 cruise about 60 days ahead of time...which means by September 15.  My guess is that the whole Africa thing won't happen for Jade.

As far as what Jade will do during the winter?  Perhaps cruises between Athens and Dubai?  Or maybe Rome/Barcelona to/from the Canary Islands.  I think the Canaries are warm in Dec/Jan/Feb.

My TA spoke with NCL yesterday and she was told that a decision to cancel will be made before final payment for our cruise (December 21st) is made. I have been following the Rollcall threads and supposedly Namibia is in lockdown and Cape Town has just gone to 3 after a 2 week lockdown. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lvntrvl said:

We are currently scheduled on the Jade from Dubai to Cape Town in December. Given the current situation with Covid and restrictions at several ports,  do you think that the Jade will likely sail to Africa this season? If not, what would you predict for itinerary changes?

Others have given their opinions, here's mine: December is WAY too far in the future to be worrying about right now. So much could change between now and then. We've had 2 cruises moved/cancelled/rescheduled since May. One is in 17 days and the other 39 days away. At worst you'll make final payment and then have to reschedule. I wouldn't stress about it right now. Bad news on Covid today could literally turn to good news by next week.

• Like 2

Thank you for the input. We are watching carefully right now, but my husband (I refer to him as “the pessimist”... he calls himself “the realist”) gives it a 0% chance of happening. I, the eternal optimist am holding out hope at about 20%.  

We were scheduled on Jade for January sailing rt from Cape Town.  This was our second attempt at a S Africa sailing.  We followed all info from S Africa as closely as we could and decided to cancel in July.  We received our deposit refund from NCL 8 days later.  Good service on their part.  Many people on our roll call are also cancelling.  Considering the costly air fare, as many flights are not operating, it was too stressful for us to keep hoping it might happen.  We are now booked to do a 10 night Celebrity cruise in the Caribbean in January, and just hoping to be able to get away from the Michigan winter for a couple of weeks.

On 8/11/2021 at 7:32 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

OP,

Look at the ports. Covid in Israel, and Oman now level 4 and they make up 5 port days till Dubai. Then Oman, Seychelles, Reunion, Madagascar, and Mauritius are all not allowing ship in on the way to Cape town. That is 13 nights of the 18 day sailing that is useless.

I don't think they can sail it as South Africa is only 7% vaxed. They are offering a handful of week sailings going to the other side of the cape then heading back to Greece.

Steve

Hi Steve,

We are on all three B2B2B and final payment is due soon for the 7 day Athens cruise. We only booked it because of the other two (Athens toDubai and Dubai to Capetown). We're trying to strategize a backup plan in case the Athens to Dubai is cancelled. Don't want to go all that way for a 7 day cruise. Any suggestions?

Irene

23 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Others have given their opinions, here's mine: December is WAY too far in the future to be worrying about right now. So much could change between now and then. We've had 2 cruises moved/cancelled/rescheduled since May. One is in 17 days and the other 39 days away. At worst you'll make final payment and then have to reschedule. I wouldn't stress about it right now. Bad news on Covid today could literally turn to good news by next week.

I love your optimism!

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 1:37 PM, DCGuy64 said:

DC is our resident optimist. I envy him. 

My reply to the OP is "not a chance in He**" 

56 minutes ago, psych65 said:

Hi Steve,

We are on all three B2B2B and final payment is due soon for the 7 day Athens cruise. We only booked it because of the other two (Athens toDubai and Dubai to Capetown). We're trying to strategize a backup plan in case the Athens to Dubai is cancelled. Don't want to go all that way for a 7 day cruise. Any suggestions?

Irene

Hi Irene,

I would not do that for 7 days.

My final payment (all FCC) was due last month because a TA is involved. I was also going to do the 7 day but that need to get off for one day is/was hugely expensive.

My suggestion would be to cancel the 7 day Athens and wait to see what NCL does when final for Athens to Dubai is due. If the cruise does go, rebook 7 day cruise.

I can let you know that my request for the Meet & Greet has not been confirmed and its been a few weeks. I have the email stating the request has been received and is being processed and will know back in 48 hours. Has not happened which is odd because in almost a dozen M&Gs it is always less that 2 days.

I personally have booked a B2B2B on MSC for December as a back up. Unfortunately I need to pay that off on 9/4 and I know NCL for the Athens to Dubai is technically due 9/15. If NCL happens I will have a huge pile of FCC with MSC because I will use their 48 hour cancel. 

I am afraid the rest of the world is not doing too good and other options are limited especially with everything changing every day. I don't see it getting better and I live in FL. When it comes to covid...We are #1.

Steve

The first non-Mediterranean cruise from Piraeus is to Dubai on 15th November.   I would hope that NCL would make a cancellation decision well before final payment date which is 18th October according a trial booking I just looked at.

I cannot see any real changes in Covid by early October, 6 weeks from now; so I would almost "bet the house" on a cancellation.

If the cruise went ahead from Dubai to Cape Town I can see it being just like the ill-fated Spirit cruise of 2020.

21 hours ago, casofilia said:

The first non-Mediterranean cruise from Piraeus is to Dubai on 15th November.   I would hope that NCL would make a cancellation decision well before final payment date which is 18th October according a trial booking I just looked at.

Hi Mike,

October 18th is less than a month before sailing??? Most final payments are/were due on 9/15ish I believe. Mine with a TA was due in July.

Steve

Hello Steve

I have just done a mock booking for the Jade

18-DAY CRUISE ON NORWEGIAN JADE

Mediterranean: Egypt, Jordan, Israel & Oman to Dubai

from Athens (Piraeus), Greece

Sailing   November,2021

Jade.png.89ab360812f3c981dcf8c97992eed046.png

That is the date shown

Mike

14 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Hello Steve

I have just done a mock booking for the Jade

18-DAY CRUISE ON NORWEGIAN JADE

Mediterranean: Egypt, Jordan, Israel & Oman to Dubai

from Athens (Piraeus), Greece

Sailing   November,2021

Jade.png.89ab360812f3c981dcf8c97992eed046.png

That is the date shown

Mike

Wow,

Thanks for showing that Mike

Well I know what that means.....the cruise is not going to happen because they would not have final less than a month before sailing.

I am seriously thinking about bailing.

Steve

@mscdivina2016

Hello Steve

As you are in the States and it is still within working hours even in Florida I suggest you phone NCL and see if you can get any sense from them.

All the best and keep us informed.   I am sure everyone else on cruises post the Jade leaving Piraeus will want to know what is happening.

Mike

22 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@mscdivina2016

Hello Steve

As you are in the States and it is still within working hours even in Florida I suggest you phone NCL and see if you can get any sense from them.

All the best and keep us informed.   I am sure everyone else on cruises post the Jade leaving Piraeus will want to know what is happening.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I already called to find out whats what if I wanted to cancel, when I had to, what I would lose and what I would gain if they cancelled it. Since I am 100% FCC  I have to cancel 61 days in advance.

Short answer....both the Athens to Dubai and the Dubai to Cape Town are sailing.  Also would I be interested in upgrading my cabin.😠

Steve

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, aussie cruzer said:

I’m on the Dubai to Athens Feb cruise...final payment has changed for us to Jan 13.

Looks like a cancellation coming.

It does not make sense to sail the ship over to Africa for 2 months.  There are so few ports that will even allow a ship in. I am going to wait till 61 days before I cancel.

Steve

On 8/12/2021 at 11:17 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

Hi Irene,

I would not do that for 7 days.

My final payment (all FCC) was due last month because a TA is involved. I was also going to do the 7 day but that need to get off for one day is/was hugely expensive.

My suggestion would be to cancel the 7 day Athens and wait to see what NCL does when final for Athens to Dubai is due. If the cruise does go, rebook 7 day cruise.

I can let you know that my request for the Meet & Greet has not been confirmed and its been a few weeks. I have the email stating the request has been received and is being processed and will know back in 48 hours. Has not happened which is odd because in almost a dozen M&Gs it is always less that 2 days.

I personally have booked a B2B2B on MSC for December as a back up. Unfortunately I need to pay that off on 9/4 and I know NCL for the Athens to Dubai is technically due 9/15. If NCL happens I will have a huge pile of FCC with MSC because I will use their 48 hour cancel. 

I am afraid the rest of the world is not doing too good and other options are limited especially with everything changing every day. I don't see it getting better and I live in FL. When it comes to covid...We are #1.

Steve

Thanks Steve. No we would not go for just 7 days. As I look for other places to travel it seems most of the ones we're interested in are Level 4. Our final payment for the 7 day is due Aug,25th through Costco. We'll probably cancel but wait until the last minute. In the meantime.... we're just getting older.

Irene

I am in S.A and am hoping to book on the Jade for the 21.12.21 cruise. We are under Level 3 lockdown and pretty relaxed. So far we are optimistic, as life is fairly normal other than wearing masks everywhere. Vaccinations for 19-35 year olds  opening this coming week, which should step up the vaccination rate. 

7 minutes ago, PE851 said:

I am in S.A and am hoping to book on the Jade for the 21.12.21 cruise. We are under Level 3 lockdown and pretty relaxed. So far we are optimistic, as life is fairly normal other than wearing masks everywhere. Vaccinations for 19-35 year olds  opening this coming week, which should step up the vaccination rate. 

Thanks for posting.

Since you are in S.A.   Do you actually see a ship with 2000 passengers showing up at several ports?

SInce the Jade must travel from Dubai to S.A.  Where do you reasonably think it will port? 

We know Seychelles, Madagascar, Mauritius, and Reunion are not allowing the ship in. Thats over half the stops. We can't go to Durban. I also found out we can't travel more than 100 miles on land. I personally have a Safari from S.A. to Kruger when I get off on 12/21. As it stands it can't happen. 

I recently had a tour operator inform me that there may be an increase in tour prices as they may have to fill buses at 50%

Steve

I have just spoken to my travel agent and they are quite optimistic about the cruise going ahead. Namibia only require a PCR test according to her.  Durban port is open, so I don't know why you would not be able to go there. Why would you not be able to travel more than 100 miles on land -time constraints? The roads are all pretty good.