Splash Academy Age Group Flexibility?

MellaJoyce

We're going on the Escape the first week in December (11/27-12/4). My daughter is 12 and turns 13 two weeks after the cruise (12/19). Are they flexible on the age groups for Splash Academy at all or is it a hard line based on birthday? I'd like her to be in the Teen group vs. the 10-12 group if possible, but I'm guessing they're pretty black and white on this?

Anyone had experience with kids being right on the age group line and NCL having flexibility (or not)?

1 hour ago, MellaJoyce said:

We're going on the Escape the first week in December (11/27-12/4). My daughter is 12 and turns 13 two weeks after the cruise (12/19). Are they flexible on the age groups for Splash Academy at all or is it a hard line based on birthday? I'd like her to be in the Teen group vs. the 10-12 group if possible, but I'm guessing they're pretty black and white on this?

Anyone had experience with kids being right on the age group line and NCL having flexibility (or not)?

We were on an extended family cruise and one child was one month short of the cut off age.  They wouldn’t move him up to join his cousin.  It was fine, but unlikely there is wiggle room. 

but with current vax requirements, i would imagine there wouldn't be any 10 or 11 year olds on the ship at all, since, unless i'm mistaken, they can't be vaccinated, which is why i imagine splash academy might be closed.  

so, if splash academy is open, and vax requirements are still in place, she'd either be with a bunch of 12 year olds if there were a lot of them, or they would have to move her up to a higher age group.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure it is a money saving decision, but if there are no kids sailing <12 due to vaccination requirements, wouldn't it make sense to adjust the ages for now and make a 12-14 group and a 15-17 group? As a HS teacher, I can tell you there is a HUGE difference between most 12 yo and 17 yo. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, MellaJoyce said:

I tried to message you but you have it turned off.  I have some info I can give you but I want it off board.

Steve

2 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I tried to message you but you have it turned off.  I have some info I can give you but I want it off board.

Steve

Cruise Critic forums do not have a private message capability activated, FYI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoDonewithitAll said:

I'm sure it is a money saving decision, but if there are no kids sailing <12 due to vaccination requirements, wouldn't it make sense to adjust the ages for now and make a 12-14 group and a 15-17 group? As a HS teacher, I can tell you there is a HUGE difference between most 12 yo and 17 yo. 

I agree. I would be way more comfortable with a 13 yr old being among 10-14 than 15-17.

• Like 1

No flex at all. This is a good question though, will the Splash academy be open when cruising resumes? What is going to happen about small children cruising and when will we know? We are taking our grand daughter to the Caribbean in January.