Consequence of getting cruise refund by disputing the credit card charge

crooooze

9 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The customer likely receive an immediate credit back to the account, did they not?

My experience with a dispute (not with Carnival or any other cruise line) is that a credit is  given soon, but with the proviso that they are still investigating and the credit might disappear.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 10:30 AM, fyree39 said:

With regard to my own refund, I thought like you. I knew it would come eventually, so I was able to let the machinations run their course. Not everyone had this luxury and Carnival seemed quick to punish those who needed to eat and pay rent.

If someone needed the money to eat and pay rent, why were they cruising in the first place?

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 2:19 PM, Rob-Bob said:

I had a Celebrity cruise cancelled in June 2020 and received my cash refund in 30 days.  They handled it just fine.  I wonder how they did so much better than CCL with all of the problems faced that are being described on this board.  

I really think some cruise lines just wanted to hang on to the money longer.  I also had a cruise cancelled on MSC and it took way longer than the 60 days promised.  

Why the difference?

I had 3 RCCL cruises cancelled (parent company of Celebrity). It took between 100-120 to get refunds on those cruises. IMO, you were just lucky.

21 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

If someone needed the money to eat and pay rent, why were they cruising in the first place?

Maybe they put booked the cruise before the pandemic, and then their entire economic situation changed as many businesses closed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Maybe they put booked the cruise before the pandemic, and then their entire economic situation changed as many businesses closed.

And just as likely, they actually made more money on a monthly basis if they were laid off and stopped paying rent to boot. I've seen it with my own eyes.

IMO, if someone is living that close to the edge, financially speaking, they shouldn't be booking a cruise in the first place. Of course, bad decisions like booking a cruise instead of saving at least 6 months of rainy day money, is why they will always be one step away from financial ruin.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

And just as likely, they actually made more money on a monthly basis if they were laid off and stopped paying rent to boot. I've seen it with my own eyes.

IMO, if someone is living that close to the edge, financially speaking, they shouldn't be booking a cruise in the first place. Of course, bad decisions like booking a cruise instead of saving at least 6 months of rainy day money, is why they will always be one step away from financial ruin.

Bingo

2 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Oh please.  If everyone followed that guideline the cruise line would be out of business.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

Oh please.  If everyone followed that guideline the cruise line would be out of business.  

Oh please, how so? Painting a very broad stroke with that brush of yours. I follow my advice AND have taken 30 cruises (on top of a lot of timesharing) to boot. I saved first, paid cash for a house (and everything else), and THEN started enjoying life. Seems like you are the one of the many who get it backwards.

If you want to live your life one booboo away from financial ruin, feel free to do so. But when that downturn happens (and it will if you don't plan for it), please, don't go crying to people telling them how life dealt you a bad hand. 

Edited by Computer Nerd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Oh please, how so? Painting a very broad stroke with that brush of yours. I follow my advice AND have taken 30 cruises (on top of a lot of timesharing) to boot. I saved first, paid cash for a house (and everything else), and THEN started enjoying life. Seems like you are the one of the many who get it backwards.

If you want to live your life one booboo away from financial ruin, feel free to do so. But when that downturn happens (and it will if you don't plan for it), please, don't go crying to people telling them how life dealt you a bad hand. 

Um congratulations?  You must be so much better then a lot of the people on the ship that scrimp and save to go on a cruise.  Sorry you had to wait so long to start enjoying life. Sad.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

51pPn2LkI8L._SY346_.jpg

1 hour ago, Sam Ting said:

Um congratulations?  You must be so much better then a lot of the people on the ship that scrimp and save to go on a cruise.  Sorry you had to wait so long to start enjoying life. Sad.  

Sad for whom? Not me. Yea, I scrimped and saved and busted my butt and now I enjoy the fruits of my labor. The problem with many people is they want the same things I have without doing the scrimping and saving part of it. They just want it and want it now and want it handed to them on a silver platter. It the folks who never achieve anything as minor as a 6 month rainy day fund that should be sad (and probably are).

59 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

Sad for whom? Not me. Yea, I scrimped and saved and busted my butt and now I enjoy the fruits of my labor. The problem with many people is they want the same things I have without doing the scrimping and saving part of it. They just want it and want it now and want it handed to them on a silver platter. It the folks who never achieve anything as minor as a 6 month rainy day fund that should be sad (and probably are).

A lot of people work harder, longer than you can imagine or endure. Pride is one of the seven deadly sins

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Back in March 2020 I had three separate cruises booked  - 7 day in March, (14) B2B in June.  Over $8,000 paid in full as I was close to all three sailing dates. Waited 4 months and still no refund. With COVID shutdown and out of work, that money was sorely needed to live on.  No reason for Carnival to take that long to refund completely cancelled cruises. 

• Like 1