Advice - Future NCL Vaccination Requirements

surf4style

We booked a family cruise for December 2021 way before NCL stated requiring vaccinations for all customers.  I contacted customer service and they stated that they are only requiring vaccinations for all guests through October.  However, they have no idea if that will be extended.  We would hate to cancel, but there are some children in our party that will not be vaccinated.  I believe we have until the middle of October to cancel.  Does anyone know if the cancelation policies will further be relaxed if NCL extends their vaccination requirements or should we go ahead an just cancel now?    

Would this not depend on the age of the children?  There is no vaccine for children under 12 at this time. It will probably happen someday but not at this time.  I don't see the vaccine requirement going away anytime soon so while this is speculation, I would imagine it will go further than October.  I know NCL was requiring the vaccine for adults but you need to check with them about this.

• Like 2

Suppose that by October 31 everyone on every ship is wearing masks and possibly observing other protocols, and that NCL has had no more success keeping COVID off ships than the other lines?  What, then, is the point in holding to 100% vaccination, especially when it excludes many families and probably hurts revenue?  At least allowing children too young for vaccination might be a good middle ground.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If NCL extends the vaccination policy and the children in your traveling party are under 12, I would think they'd be compelled to refund you even if after final payment. What did they do with those who had booked cruises through October before the vaccination policy was in place?

Here's where it gets complicated. If your children are between 5-12, it is very likely that Emergency Use Authorization will be approved for children between these ages within the next couple of months. If this occurs before final payment and there's still enough time before the cruise departure for full vaccination to take place (e.g., dose 1 + dose 2 + 2 weeks), then it gets complicated and until we know the policy there's no way to predict what will happen. The other issue could be availability of the vaccine for children.

I agree with others that the vaccine policy will likely be extended as the cruise lines want to get back to full capacity as soon as possible to recoup revenue losses and the safest way to do this is by sailing with fully vaccinated passengers for the time being. In addition, any Canada/New England or Alaska sailings will need to have this requirement in place as Canada just announced proof of vaccination for passengers on ships with overnight accommodations in addition to train and air travel between provinces.

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

With things getting worse by the day with covid and ncl spending its time and resources in the courts you can count on the vaccine requirements for a LONG time to come. 

I think we can count on 95/5% for a long time to come, but I don't see NCL keeping 100% past October 31st, especially since ships that are 100% vaccinatated have not been successful in keeping Covid at bay. Of course, if NCL can keep covid off with 100% vaccination there is reason to believe they will extend it, but so far no line has been successful in this endevour. 95/5 is more profitable for this family cruise line.

To the OP, I believe that NCL keeps extending the deadline for final payment. Last I heard it was 30 days on some voyages which puts you past the October 31st deadline. You could just wait, but if uncomfortable with that you could cancel and switch to a cruise line accepting children. There are several to choose from. Whatever you decide, I think it's important to note that the rules are changing daily and those choosing to cruise now are choosing to remain flexible with protocols that can change mid-voyage.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

20 hours ago, surf4style said:

We booked a family cruise for December 2021 way before NCL stated requiring vaccinations for all customers.  I contacted customer service and they stated that they are only requiring vaccinations for all guests through October.  However, they have no idea if that will be extended.  We would hate to cancel, but there are some children in our party that will not be vaccinated.  I believe we have until the middle of October to cancel.  Does anyone know if the cancelation policies will further be relaxed if NCL extends their vaccination requirements or should we go ahead an just cancel now?    

From the NCL website

Cancel Up to 15 Days Prior

For cruises through October 2021, cancel 15 days prior to vacation start for a full Future Cruise Credit.

Based on what I read does not apply to a December Cruise

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence#freedom-flexibility

The October 31 date is contingent on the CSO  expiring. With increasing covid cases I think the CSO  will be extended past the end of the year. Vaccines for children over 5 should be available late fall.  My guess is 100% vaccinated will be extended into next spring unless cases suddenly drop or the CSO is allowed to expire. I don’t see either happening right now. 

• Like 1

I follow the WHO updates and guidance on the latest, more closely than what the US-CDC are saying and forecasting, based on their global data and predictive models ... although the John Hopkins data is quite good and reliable.  Not that any of them have been 99.5% spot on and missed but the cruise industry as a whole, including NCL, do take and set their corporate policies & protocols based on the best "opinions" and advice of public health authorities. 

As such, we in the USA are in the middle of a 4th wave or surge of Covid-19 due to the Delta variant; and, as feared, younger folks including teens and children are getting sick, hospitalized and not all had been able to get vaccinated for various reasons.  I am afraid that we are not going to see those vaccination requirements being lowered and relaxed anytime soon, not in the next several months ... and, the Peru variant (Lambda or C.37) is another one of concern - being watched very closely.  Comments by some of the best & highly medical scientists, researcher actively working on these highly infectious diseases and its genetic sequencing - https://calmatters.org/health/coronavirus/2021/08/lambda-variant-california/

Go enjoy those land-based vacations this summer and fall, probably into the winter months - get behind one's car, minivan or suv, family camper or RV, etc.  We've done several quick & short one lately - loved our true, fully equipped suites & upgrades ... minus a butler or concierge, but that's okay - we managed very well without them on loaded 22" rollerboards & backpack. 

On 8/14/2021 at 12:20 PM, surf4style said:

I believe you should cancel and focus on other things to do on that vacation. The current situation is so in flux that I wouldn't risk it.