Magic updates?

efuzz

26 minutes ago, keels81 said:

For under 12? Nope. For over 12, it was the bare minimum. They did do the Build-A-Bear thing.

They truly don't want unvaccinated groups of children roaming around, they want them with their family unit.

That's how it should be. Unvaxxed under 12 must be attached at the hip of a parent at all times.

On 8/22/2021 at 5:42 AM, newpherchris said:

I boarded the Magic yesterday for the first time after having been on the Breeze and Dream for comparison. Some initial observations:

• we arrived at the terminal at 10:10 for a 10:30 1A boarding appt. We were on the ship by 10:55, a record. (This is after they called suite boarding first.)
  • The staff on ship and at the terminal are very pumped / excited (or are faking it very convincingly)
  • crowds are lower and there are far fewer children but there are still plenty of people
  • most seem to honor wearing masks inside (so far)
  • we skipped YTD and had dinner at the Lido buffet - we won't be doing it again as the options were meager, and when we talked by the main dining room later it didn't seem crowded
  • we were supposed to sail at 4 but the ship didn't take off until 6 - Gary came on a few times in between to let us know that we were "awaiting paperwork" - but at around 5:50 we saw a couple of police taking a passenger into custody from our balcony. Slight bummer since we didn't get to sail by the Mardi Gras

Looking forward to a lovely sea day 🙂

I am 10:30-11:00 A01 boarding time as well and planning on arriving at 10:15.  Good to hear you got onboard so smoothly.  Since you were early were you asked to stand in the early/late line at first or just directed to go check in?  TIA!

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I am 10:30-11:00 A01 boarding time as well and planning on arriving at 10:15.  Good to hear you got onboard so smoothly.  Since you were early were you asked to stand in the early/late line at first or just directed to go check in?  TIA!

We didn't have to get in an early line, likely because we had A1. We were surprised by how many people had already checked in and were in the terminal, actually. Most weren't / couldn't have been groups A1 to a3. Once they started boarding they called groups quickly. After they called first for suites they called our group A1 two minutes later, A1 a minute or two after that, and A3 a minute or two after that. After that we couldn't hear the next boarding group because we were on the magical escalator to the gangway :-). I'm thinking that at least for the Magic they're not being as strict with the designated arrival times as they promised, which led to a much fuller terminal but 10:30 than I expected.

23 hours ago, keels81 said:

For under 12? Nope. For over 12, it was the bare minimum. They did do the Build-A-Bear thing.

They truly don't want unvaccinated groups of children roaming around, they want them with their family unit.

Trust me, i dont want my kid roaming around away from us either. At least now i dont have to worry about unvaccinated adults. Good to know about the build a bear, thank you

My wife and I were on the first Magic cruise on August 7.  Lots of fun!  Overall, very good effort on Carnival's part for the first voyage.  I did think that they might have spruced up the interior a bit more than they did and the service (at least in our area) in the MDR the first two nights was very slow.  Party of 2 shouldn't take more than 2 hours and it did both nights.  For the 3rd and 4th nights we went to Cucina and the Steakhouse and on the last night the service was much better.  Crew just getting their sea legs I suppose!  I heard that the ship was at 70% capacity which was great but more than I had thought after reading some Royal reviews.  Nothing like a great sleep in a cruise ship bed!

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 4:37 PM, keels81 said:

I was on the first sailing of the Magic! It was pretty great, a low-key return to sailing!

Gary was a very fun Cruise Director -- I talked to him a couple of times, and he was really present with everything that goes into making a cruise run. "Deal or No Deal" was an absolute BLAST and I really enjoyed the "Celebrity Heads" game that he and the Fun Squad did. He's not as in-your-face as other CDs, which is more my style but will probably not be for everyone who wants a more over-the-top personality.

Eddie Spaghetti was the karaoke host in the Red Frog and I love him. Also, Brad in the piano bar is EPIC! If you love Elton John, Brad is your guy. I miss him already.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have!

Have they updated the plugs in the cabin to charge multi items.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:21 AM, Hockeydad1972 said:

We are checked and waiting to board right now… Can answer any questions you all may have.. Ask away…image.thumb.jpg.6c253cb3ad5f660b97674860895ab420.jpg

Have the cabins been updated to handle cell phones, tablets, cameras, and other rechargeable  items?

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing new in the cabins.  No updates to the plugs, etc.  Just two plugs (maybe one US, one European).  We used a power strip for phones, etc.  The ship didn't look like it had really been updated at all since it last sailed. Was in decent shape but didn't appear that anything was really new and extra shiny!  Maybe new carpet?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobbyD said:

Nothing new in the cabins.  No updates to the plugs, etc.  Just two plugs (maybe one US, one European).  We used a power strip for phones, etc.  The ship didn't look like it had really been updated at all since it last sailed. Was in decent shape but didn't appear that anything was really new and extra shiny!  Maybe new carpet?

I noticed the same thing.  For instance, from the atrium elevator you could see several lights that were burnt out.  One of the drawers in our cabin was partially broken, yet still functional.  Really nothing that detracted from our cruise but you'd think simple things like that could have been taken care of while the ship was down.

Everything else, to me anyway, was great.  Gary, in my most humble opinion, did a good job as cruise director, comedians were good, the shows were good, food was good, drinks were good, weather was mostly good..... nothing much at all to complain about and we had a great time.

• Like 2