I Need Help From Those In The Know About Nieuw Amsterdam Departure Time

WDeany

I originally had a flight out of Fort Lauderdale airport after a cruise in Feb 22 at 12:07.  Thought that would be enough time get to the airport after departure if I took the Holland America bus to the airport.  Delta has changed my flight to 11:30.  Am I cutting it too close, or should I agree to the change?  Please, I need help from those who have perhaps done the transfer previously.  Am not sure when the next flight would leave Fort Lauderdale.

Thank you so much for your help and your opinions.

Deany  

16 minutes ago, WDeany said:

I originally had a flight out of Fort Lauderdale airport after a cruise in Feb 22 at 12:07.  Thought that would be enough time get to the airport after departure if I took the Holland America bus to the airport.  Delta has changed my flight to 11:30.  Am I cutting it too close, or should I agree to the change?  Please, I need help from those who have perhaps done the transfer previously.  Am not sure when the next flight would leave Fort Lauderdale.

Deany  

If you look over on the Florida Departures board,  you will see many discussions on this topic...it really has to do with logistics on the ground.

HAL will have a "no flight before" time for their bus. It was typically 11:30, pre Covid, and you will many discussions of people getting flights well before 11:30, if they taxi over...its very close.

The one fly in the ointment is Covid protocols, which we know nothing about, and how they affect getting off the ship.

I would stick with the 11:30 flight, and catch a cab. It's cheaper, easier, and faster.

• Like 1

Thank you sooo much for you response.  Just am nervous about missing our flight.  Not necessarily about getting to the airport, but going through security.  Have never been to Fort Lauderdale before (only Atlanta) and there it could take at least two hours or more to get through security.  Do you think I should be worried and change my flight for 3 hours later?

Thank you so much.

Last several cruises have talked about 45 minutes to get through SEATAC security. 

Things you can do if you are worried - or just to make sure:

• Either carry off your bags - or do self departure - first off the ship
  • Possibly do port valet process - I think they also get you your tickets -Eliminates that process at the airport - and no bags to carry.
  • Concur with previous to take a taxi/Uber/lyft
  • Some airlines let you purchase priority processing (I know American does) - that includes priority security processing.

58 minutes ago, WDeany said:

Deany  

Does Fort Lauderdale participate in Port Valet or Luggage Direct (or whatever it’s called)? That might help. 

@WDeany Do not fret.  Your airline time change is minimal,, and the FLL airport is one of the easiest of all cruise ports.  Arrange for an early walk-off, around 7:30 -8 am (luggage valet is helpful, but not necessary if you can handle your own bags... travel light!).  Grab a taxi, and you will be at FLL in 15-20 minutes.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Looks like Luggage Direct is available in Fort Lauderdale. See Luggage Services in the KBYG

But, typically for flights after 11:30.

@WDeany, as mentioned above, when you are onboard, tell HAL you have an 11:30 flight. They will put you in an early disembarking group. Get off as soon as allowed. Walk outside with your bags, and grab a cab. MANY, MANY people do this exact thing.

We have done FLL many times and never got to the gate later than 10:30 am.  Security can back up though, especially on peak sailing days such as Sat. and Sun, so do as already mentioned to get off early and use a taxi (cost around $15), which are lined up and ready to go for the earlier departure people.  Having TSA precheck could be a big help as well.

Like the original poster I was just notified by Delta my 12:06 pm flight out of FLL was moved to 11:30 next March.  I'm not going to fret about it because like others here we have gotten off a ship there many times with an early disembarkation time, grabbed a cab and been dropped off at the airport within 15 minutes.  We are always there with lots of time to spare.  

I suggest you NOT take the ship's transfer to the airport in Fort Lauderdale.  All you do is sit on a bus and wait for a long time while it fills up.  You could be at the airport by then if you take a taxi.  

• Like 2

On 8/16/2021 at 8:27 AM, CruiserBruce said:

But, typically for flights after 11:30.

@WDeany, as mentioned above, when you are onboard, tell HAL you have an 11:30 flight. They will put you in an early disembarking group. Get off as soon as allowed. Walk outside with your bags, and grab a cab. MANY, MANY people do this exact thing.

Here is the response I got this week re Luggage Direct’s earliest flight requirement:

Good Day Joanie,

I apologize for the delay, Unfortunately the earliest flight we are able to accept for our Luggage Direct program is 10:30am

Thank you and kind regards,

Erica

Bags VIP Customer Service

bagslogo.png
Bags

30 minutes ago, WDeany said:

Am not sure what you're saying with the above information?  Am flying on Delta on Saturday.  Please explain.  Thank you for your info.

A few days before you disembark the ship,  you will receive an envelope with disembarkation options and a time that you would like to leave the ship.  In the same envelope will be an application for Luggage Direct to ship your luggage to your home airport.  If that option sounds good to you, complete the form.  If it does not appeal to you, choose a time you would like to leave the ship.

If you have a flight requiring you to leave the ship in the first group (usually 15-30 minutes after the reported docking time), you can choose to take your own luggage from the ship and grab a taxi to the airport.

If you don't have an early flight, you can put your luggage in your hallway before going to bed and it will be taken to the terminal for you to pickup on your way to Customs.  The thousands of bags will be organized in the terminal in a group of passengers leaving at the same time.  Recommend you tie something on your bag so that it stands out in the crowd of bags.

Edited by Crew News

41 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Here is the response I got this week re Luggage Direct’s earliest flight requirement:

Good Day Joanie,

I apologize for the delay, Unfortunately the earliest flight we are able to accept for our Luggage Direct program is 10:30am

Thank you and kind regards,

Erica

Bags VIP Customer Service

bagslogo.png
Bags

That is a change, and good news.