Southampton Hotel recommendations

Chrisstew007

We are sure that this question has been asked many times but the answers may have changed with the current testing protocols.

We have always previously had fly cruises so this is our first P and O cruise and our first trip to Southampton. We will be travellling to the City Centre by train. My main concern is that if we choose a hotel very close to The Ocean terminal, we will be on Iona G140 at xmas, we will struggle to get a Taxi for such a short distance. In addition are Taxis likely to be caught up in the vehicle queue that we have heard about due to testing or do they have a separate lane. If we are caught up in the traffic can we get out and walk to the testing centre etc. Any info would be much appreciated.

Most of the hotels in Southampton have deals for cruisers which include a taxi to and from the port. We have used Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Ave which is overlooking the port and in a brilliant location. They also do deals which include a taxi to and from the port. 

Holiday Inn, Grand Harbour and Novotel are all OK.  I wouldn't recommend Jury's Inn, it's stuck in the middle of a roundabout, the breakfast tables aren't cleared and there are long queues for breakfast.  It's cheap but not cheerful!

59 minutes ago, Chrisstew007 said:

In addition are Taxis likely to be caught up in the vehicle queue that we have heard about due to testing or do they have a separate lane.

Taxis do not not go to the vehicle testing site. They drop you off at the terminal and the testing is done there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Premier Inn at West quay is always well patronised by cruisers.  No facility to leave the car there though.  They will assist with taxis.

There are so many in the area that it is hard to choose.  We are going to The Dolphin this time.

• Like 1

A couple of years back before the pandemic some people used to like 

to stay at the country club Meon Valley hotel. It looks  like this hotel has hit 

upon hard times if this recent film is anything to go by .

I would hate to think any of you guys were to book unwittingly :classic_ohmy:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Premier Inn for me, preferably the West Quay one . If a nice day I walk from the station and also to Ocean terminal. On Saturday I will get a taxi as I am feeling lazy.

I hope you have a fabulous time Dave and The Glass House is as good, if not better than you remember it. Bon voyage for Saturday. Best wishes. Jane.x 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chrisstew007 said:

We are sure that this question has been asked many times but the answers may have changed with the current testing protocols.

We have always previously had fly cruises so this is our first P and O cruise and our first trip to Southampton. We will be travellling to the City Centre by train. My main concern is that if we choose a hotel very close to The Ocean terminal, we will be on Iona G140 at xmas, we will struggle to get a Taxi for such a short distance. In addition are Taxis likely to be caught up in the vehicle queue that we have heard about due to testing or do they have a separate lane. If we are caught up in the traffic can we get out and walk to the testing centre etc. Any info would be much appreciated.

We're staying at the Hoilday Inn on Sat evening and embark Sunday afternoon. Not super cheap at £145 B&b for 1 night but good location, and an evening meal on top of that

5 minutes ago, squink said:

We're staying at the Hoilday Inn on Sat evening and embark Sunday afternoon. Not super cheap at £145 B&b for 1 night but good location, and an evening meal on top of that

Have a great time Squink. Try and keep safe and above all - enjoy. Best wishes. Jane.x 

2 hours ago, indiana123 said:

The Premier Inn at West quay is always well patronised by cruisers.  No facility to leave the car there though.  They will assist with taxis.

There are so many in the area that it is hard to choose.  We are going to The Dolphin this time.

We tend to use The Dolphin most times.  

2 hours ago, kalos said:

A couple of years back before the pandemic some people used to like 

to stay at the country club Meon Valley hotel. It looks  like this hotel has hit 

upon hard times if this recent film is anything to go by .

I would hate to think any of you guys were to book unwittingly :classic_ohmy:

We stayed here pre-cruise in October 2019 and had a good time.

Unfortunately without cleaners or shortage of cleaners most hotels will look like this.

Premier Inn check in is now 4pm from 2pm to allow more time for room cleaning.

29 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We stayed here pre-cruise in October 2019 and had a good time.

Unfortunately without cleaners or shortage of cleaners most hotels will look like this.

Premier Inn check in is now 4pm from 2pm to allow more time for room cleaning.

If you listen to the film Graham they have being trying to check in from 1pm and it's 

now midnight and they only have two night cleaners doing there best .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

Just now, kalos said:

If you listen to the film Graham they have being trying to check in from 1pm and it's 

now midnight and they only have to night cleaners doing there best .

I did Kalos.

It is shocking and sad if the Meon Valley is struggling and guests are experiencing this.

As a regular poster on TripAdvisor I always look for the most recent reviews of hotels and restaurants before booking.

Graham.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

I did Kalos.

It is shocking and sad if the Meon Valley is struggling and guests are experiencing this.

As a regular poster on TripAdvisor I always look for the most recent reviews of hotels and restaurants before booking.

Graham.

Same here mate:classic_smile: Always check them out .

• Like 1

Holiday Inn without a doubt --- love it. You can have a room facing either terminal and can walk in.

So close to town and the views are fabulous. You can lie in bed and watch your ship come in (if you are keen) and then watch her while you have your breakfast. Have stayed here when using P&O, Royal Caribbean and would not stay anywhere else.

Have stayed at the Dolphin but were far less impressed

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, kalos said:

Same here mate:classic_smile: Always check them out .

We have just come back from 3 nights in York. Hotel cleaners won't come into your room to service while you are there. If you need clean towels you have to leave them outside your room and contact reception. Only saw 1 cleaner there the whole 3 days. Glad it was only 3 nights don't know what room would have looked like for any longer. Also if you want extra tea, coffee etc you have to go and collect them from reception. Covid safe I think it is called.

• Like 1

We often stay at The Premier Inn but saw a good offer for The Leonardo Harbour hotel so have booked it for our September cruise.Wondering now if it was the right thing to do as some of the recent reviews are dire!! Has anyone stayed there recently? 

2 hours ago, ann141 said:

The Leonardo Harbour

Its ok for a pre-cruise overnighter but when we stayed there just before lockdown it was certainly showing its age.  It certainly wasn't as grand as it used to be.

There was some work going on so it may be ok now.   OK for an overnighter though.