Better to wait?

skleeb

Though I haven't even BEEN on a Silversea cruise yet(due to you know what), I'm looking towards  booking a 2023 cruise-hopefully my third one by then. I'm scheduled to go in November '21 and March "22.I was wondering if I should wait til I'm on board to book it? Is there a discount for doing so? Can I use my OBC for a deposit on it? Does  the staff help guide you along? Thanks

Traditionally (non-covid times), there is a Cruise Consultant on board who is well informed and can book whatever you want.  He/she can then transfer the booking to your usual Travel Agent or SS cruise consultant.  There is a 5% discount to booking onboard,  on top of whatever other discounts are available (such as Venetian Society).  You cannot use OBC.

Those who have cruised this year will have more information if there is still on-board booking since the number of passengers is currently decreased.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I had heard somewhere that the future cruise had to be within 6 months to get the discount. Can anybody out there verify the current rules?

Thanks.

This has not been my experience, as I recall.

The cruise consultant can book any cruise that has already been announced, with a 5% discount. Some of us, however, are waiting for the next wave of itineraries and put down $1000 (fully refundable) as an open booking.  We can then use that open booking/$1000 to gain the 5% discount when new itineraries are published.

I believe there is a six month window in which one has to book using the open booking discount.  If one does not use that $1000 toward a new booking, it is fully refunded. Note: the booking must occur within six months of the sale of the open booking deposit.  It is not necessary that the cruise itself take place within six months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Observer said:

This has not been my experience, as I recall.

The cruise consultant can book any cruise that has already been announced, with a 5% discount. Some of us, however, are waiting for the next wave of itineraries and put down $1000 (fully refundable) as an open booking.  We can then use that open booking/$1000 to gain the 5% discount when new itineraries are published.

I believe there is a six month window in which one has to book using the open booking discount.  If one does not use that $1000 toward a new booking, it is fully refunded. Note: the booking must occur within six months of the sale of the open booking deposit.  It is not necessary that the cruise itself take place within six months.

Thank you so much. That does clear things up a bunch.

8 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

Traditionally (non-covid times), there is a Cruise Consultant on board who is well informed and can book whatever you want.  He/she can then transfer the booking to your usual Travel Agent or SS cruise consultant.  There is a 5% discount to booking onboard,  on top of whatever other discounts are available (such as Venetian Society).  You cannot use OBC.

Those who have cruised this year will have more information if there is still on-board booking since the number of passengers is currently decreased.

Thanks. I think I will wait til I'm on board. With seemingly so many sailings, I probably need help finding the right date, solo supplement possibility, destination, air travel, etc. 

6 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

I have just got off the Moon and the future cruise consultant did say that the on board booking deposit does only last for six months unlike Seabourn which lasts for four years.

Is this for an unnamed cruise or a specific cruise. I board this Nov. Can I book a cruise for the following Nov. that is specific, if that makes sense?

19 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Is this for an unnamed cruise or a specific cruise. I board this Nov. Can I book a cruise for the following Nov. that is specific, if that makes sense?

Yes, the six month limit applies only to open bookings, where you will decide later.  When onboard you can book any cruise (no matter how far in the future) for which there is a published itinerary/prices and get the 5% discount.   The six month limitation applies only to the time in which you must use the open booking deposit by applying it to some announced cruise or have it refunded to you.

3 hours ago, Observer said:

Yes, the six month limit applies only to open bookings, where you will decide later.  When onboard you can book any cruise (no matter how far in the future) for which there is a published itinerary/prices and get the 5% discount.   The six month limitation applies only to the time in which you must use the open booking deposit by applying it to some announced cruise or have it refunded to you.

Thank you!

6 hours ago, Throast said:

We were on the first sailing of the Moon, booked two cruises one for May 22 the other Dec  22, both discounted (we already had two booked for Jan 22 and Sept 22

The Jan 22 and Sept 22 cruise, did they rebook while on the ship for an discount?