Galveston passengers denied boarding, Covid test not back in time

rj59

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/08/20/royal-mess-for-some-galveston-royal-caribbean-customers-no-cruise-no-luggage-no-callback/

This is my biggest fear about sailing with the testing requirements in place--what if you don't get your test results back before the cruise? It seems RCL gave passengers without valid test results a local option, but those results too didn't get back in time for them to sail (although their luggage did get to cruise). I fear this scenario will be playing out on all the cruise lines, except for NCL, and it really seems unjust that the unvaccinated can get a quick antigen test at the pier but the vaccinated whose cruise depends on the efficiency of a pharmacy worker or overburdened lab to get results to you in time can't get a test at the pier. The other huge stressor is that if you can't cancel for FCC until 2 days before, but if your test isn't back in time, then you're left at the pier or scrambling around port cities with huge test demand now. With worries about breakthrough cases now onboard, including a death on Carnival, I'm not sure if I want to add the risks and stress of not having testing availability and results in time. 

• Like 9

"On Sunday, the PCR test results were not yet available, so the Gurrs brought their self-administered Antigen test results, which boarding staff said would not work" ...Feel for them but CV times anything can change and has, Masking, Testing, no mixing of Vaccines, nothing can do about it either. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, puerto penasco lady said:

Got my antigen test this afternoon.....results in less than 15 minutes.  Sailing Sunday on Independence.

Can I ask where (which store or lab) did you go to?  

We are looking to book last minute on Royal Caribbean mid-September. But like the original poster wrote about in this thread I’m afraid we’re not going to be able to get our test results back in time or even get an appointment to get tested.

Every place around us is taking longer than three days to get the PCR results in right now. Most places are limiting testing to those that are showing severe Covid symptoms in order to even be able to get an appointment to get tested. 

Edited by ancestry
  • Like 1

I went to a minute clinic run by CVS pharmacy.  About 20 minutes from my house.  They called me with my results before I even got back home.  They also sent an email so I could print out a hard copy.  Test took less than 2 minutes from check in to completion.  I made the appointment 2 weeks ago.  No charge.  Very easy. I would search for a place that is doing the antigen test.  It is very quick and Royal is accepting it.  I was afraid of not getting the PCR test back in time as I am flying to Texas on Saturday.  Hope this helps.

Brenda

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For those who are unable to locate a source for a local Rapid Antigen test, we now have with absolute certainty identified Royal Caribbean will accept use of the telehealth-supervised Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Home Test Kit that you order from eMed.com. This is NOT the one you can buy over the counter at Walgreen's.

But it gives you access to perhaps the quickest turnaround option available if you don't have a local location offering Rapid Antigen testing. About the only somewhat bad part is at times there've been reports that the video conference wait is up to an hour or two, but the company knows it's an issue and is expanding the workforce to deal with it (BTW, one option mentioned is to select Spanish as your language of choice, and most of the operators online apparently speak English just fine, so you don't sit in the super-long English queue :))

Where Do I Take A RT-PCR Test And Submit The Results Before Cruising? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

So at 12:01am ET 3 days prior to your sail date you could start the test online and get the results and all documentation within the next hour or so, while you wait on the video call.

image.thumb.png.147a357c6e388f99f141a36e7d0695b1.png

Edited by dswallow
  • Like 8

I don't know if every airport offers it (I think at least every international one does), but the major ones I've looked at (including the two big Florida ones) have antigen testing on site... you just have to pay for it. 

Edited by smplybcause

5 hours ago, ancestry said:

Can I ask where (which store or lab) did you go to?  

We are looking to book last minute on Royal Caribbean mid-September. But like the original poster wrote about in this thread I’m afraid we’re not going to be able to get our test results back in time or even get an appointment to get tested.

Every place around us is taking longer than three days to get the PCR results in right now. Most places are limiting testing to those that are showing severe Covid symptoms in order to even be able to get an appointment to get tested. 

We got our antigen test yesterday at CVS and had results in an hour. Their website shows a 2 week window but they do not load the appointment times until the day of after midnight, in my area.  I logged on at 12:15 am and booked our appointments.  

I also feel sorry for them. I guess the lesson here is that you need to keep up with the rules daily before a cruise.  Even with the changing rules, self-administered tests that aren’t linked to a telemedicine professional have never been accepted.

I think the biggest issue is that many don’t understand that there are different tests available, and the PCR can be delayed during waves like Delta. 😕

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, rj59 said:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/08/20/royal-mess-for-some-galveston-royal-caribbean-customers-no-cruise-no-luggage-no-callback/

This is my biggest fear about sailing with the testing requirements in place--what if you don't get your test results back before the cruise? It seems RCL gave passengers without valid test results a local option, but those results too didn't get back in time for them to sail (although their luggage did get to cruise). I fear this scenario will be playing out on all the cruise lines, except for NCL, and it really seems unjust that the unvaccinated can get a quick antigen test at the pier but the vaccinated whose cruise depends on the efficiency of a pharmacy worker or overburdened lab to get results to you in time can't get a test at the pier. The other huge stressor is that if you can't cancel for FCC until 2 days before, but if your test isn't back in time, then you're left at the pier or scrambling around port cities with huge test demand now. With worries about breakthrough cases now onboard, including a death on Carnival, I'm not sure if I want to add the risks and stress of not having testing availability and results in time. 

I decided to cancel my Aug. 22 cruise for that very reason. I was having a lot of difficulty finding an appointment to get a test on Aug. 19 in my area, and it was absolutely impossible to get an appt for a rapid test. 

Here in the uk rcl are paying and providing a test via eurofins. It has to be a PCR test not a rapid test. There are locations all over uk to get tested you just book via the link 3 days before. If you dont get the results back in time as long as used rcl auth test centre they test you at the port. For those that use another source then you are not necessarily covered 

I am a little confused by the statement in the article that they were only informed of the test rqmt 2 days before the cruise. Wasn't testing announced weeks ago for every RC/X cruise?

Also, big journalistic fail not to reveal the test results and when they got them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

Go to CVS like everyone else said...booked our appt 2 weeks ago.  We had the rapid antigen test done yesterday...got a call in 20 min that we were negative and text messages in an hour!!  No cost too!

Not every CVS does the rapid antigen test.  The closest location to me in Michigan is in Virginia according to their website.  Our local Walgreen's are running out of the ID Now tests and are having trouble getting restocked. I'm assuming with the uptick in cases, it's only going to get worse trying to get test results back in time.  I scheduled PCR testing for us already but I'm hoping when our testing date gets closer I can find a Walgreens with the ID Now and cancel the PCR.  Walgreens only lets you schedule one day out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, badvector said:

Not every CVS does the rapid antigen test.  The closest location to me in Michigan is in Virginia according to their website.  Our local Walgreen's are running out of the ID Now tests and are having trouble getting restocked. I'm assuming with the uptick in cases, it's only going to get worse trying to get test results back in time.  I scheduled PCR testing for us already but I'm hoping when our testing date gets closer I can find a Walgreens with the ID Now and cancel the PCR.  Walgreens only lets you schedule one day out.

Does Walgreens sell the proctored ID NOW test that is accepted by the cruiselines? I had been reading that the proctored ones can only be ordered thru eMed (or something like that), but if Walgreens is selling them then that would be alot easier than waiting for it to be shipped!

9 hours ago, dswallow said:

For those who are unable to locate a source for a local Rapid Antigen test, we now have with absolute certainty identified Royal Caribbean will accept use of the telehealth-supervised Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Home Test Kit that you order from eMed.com. This is NOT the one you can buy over the counter at Walgreen's.

But it gives you access to perhaps the quickest turnaround option available if you don't have a local location offering Rapid Antigen testing. About the only somewhat bad part is at times there've been reports that the video conference wait is up to an hour or two, but the company knows it's an issue and is expanding the workforce to deal with it (BTW, one option mentioned is to select Spanish as your language of choice, and most of the operators online apparently speak English just fine, so you don't sit in the super-long English queue :))

Where Do I Take A RT-PCR Test And Submit The Results Before Cruising? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

So at 12:01am ET 3 days prior to your sail date you could start the test online and get the results and all documentation within the next hour or so, while you wait on the video call.

image.thumb.png.147a357c6e388f99f141a36e7d0695b1.png

I greatly appreciate this info, sounds like a good back up.

10 hours ago, BSocial said:

Oh, that’s awful. Wish they could have delayed departure an hour to accommodate those.getting testing at the urgent care center.

RCCL is bound by certain rules THEY do not establish.  The CV19 by the CDC and the Boarding Times by the port authorities/TSA.  They missed both.  Should have gotten that test on Thursday and/or should've gotten back to ship by the prescribed time to board, no more than 1 1/2 hrs before sail.  They cannot make any exceptions to these mandated rules.  

Having said that, I think all could've been resolved if RCCL had testing facilities at pier for guests who were not able to get their ducks in a row.  They have them for children, why not have allowed these adults to get tested, just 20 or 30 people?  Yes, I would have to say, not the best recommendation for customer service.

• Like 3

I'm now considering doing what Sparks recommended and have the online test also, we have already arranged for a Thursday test here at Walgreens for antigen and in FLorida at a CVS for the PCR, but it can't hurt to have a third option.

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

I am a little confused by the statement in the article that they were only informed of the test rqmt 2 days before the cruise. Wasn't testing announced weeks ago for every RC/X cruise?

Also, big journalistic fail not to reveal the test results and when they got them.

This article was probably post cruise.  The big thing I noticed was if they did not get the test results, why did they still show up for the cruise, didn't they realize they HAD to have them?  What did they say at check in?  Hey we got the test but no results?  Can we still go?

Edited by BecciBoo

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Here in the uk rcl are paying and providing a test via eurofins. It has to be a PCR test not a rapid test. There are locations all over uk to get tested you just book via the link 3 days before. If you dont get the results back in time as long as used rcl auth test centre they test you at the port. For those that use another source then you are not necessarily covered 

Problem is they haven't yet worked out the bugs for those of us flying to the UK from other countries (for the cruises after the rule change).  We are on the 5 September sailing, flying in from Germany.  Drop down menu says we will get an email 18 days out to register for the rapid PCR at the terminal on day of and must register for that.  Except we only got the same email all of you UK residents do, with options to register 2-3 days prior to sailing (when we will not even be in the UK yet).  I am now up to 4 hours on hold, 3 on Wedensday and one so far today, three reps I have spoken to (including one in resolutions) and multiple emails (but radio silence from RCI yesterday).  Everyone agrees I need to register NOW for a test at the port on sailing date and everyone agrees I am not being given that option, but no one can figure out how to get me registered.  They really need to get this figured out.  

But I agree that offereing rapisd PCR testing at the port terminal seem likes probably the best thing to do, at all their ports.  I am a little surprised they don't (even if they charged for it, if you had that option, it is a good fail safe)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I'm now considering doing what Sparks recommended and have the online test also, we have already arranged for a Thursday test here at Walgreens for antigen and in FLorida at a CVS for the PCR, but it can't hurt to have a third option.

I just checked and it's $150 for 6 tests, which may or may not be reimbursable by insurance. I have checked with the line we are sailing with in November and this test is also acceptable for them. The only question is- will our port (Bermuda) accept the test?

29 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Problem is they haven't yet worked out the bugs for those of us flying to the UK from other countries (for the cruises after the rule change).  We are on the 5 September sailing, flying in from Germany.  Drop down menu says we will get an email 18 days out to register for the rapid PCR at the terminal on day of and must register for that.  Except we only got the same email all of you UK residents do, with options to register 2-3 days prior to sailing (when we will not even be in the UK yet).  I am now up to 4 hours on hold, 3 on Wedensday and one so far today, three reps I have spoken to (including one in resolutions) and multiple emails (but radio silence from RCI yesterday).  Everyone agrees I need to register NOW for a test at the port on sailing date and everyone agrees I am not being given that option, but no one can figure out how to get me registered.  They really need to get this figured out.  

But I agree that offereing rapisd PCR testing at the port terminal seem likes probably the best thing to do, at all their ports.  I am a little surprised they don't (even if they charged for it, if you had that option, it is a good fail safe)

well they just sent me a link which registered me for an at the port rapid PCR test ........in the Bahamas!  Gah!  

Aaaaand I am on hold again.   I NEED to get on this ship just to recover from the stress of figuring out how to get on the ship lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Having said that, I think all could've been resolved if RCCL had testing facilities at pier for guests who were not able to get their ducks in a row.  They have them for children, why not have allowed these adults to get tested, just 20 or 30 people?  Yes, I would have to say, not the best recommendation for customer service.

RCG probably thought providing testing at the pier wasn't a good idea after the mayhem that ensued when Celebrity sprung last minute testing requirements in Florida in July. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badvector said:

Cvs minute clinics do the rapid test, did you call local cvs stores to find out as I find their website unreliable.

Also check with urgent care centers, most in my area offer rapid antigen test for free.