SWA - delays, cancelations, and strike?

BoozinCroozin

12 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Just read an article with the SWA pilots union and airline worker unions that they are ready to strike over Thanksgiving and Christmas if the company does not get things under control. This is getting ridiculous. 

They can't strike, it is against the law. Their plan is to do "informational" picketing at the airports. Two completely different things.

All businesses seem to be short of workers these days.  I had a reservation for Lovina in Calistoga, CA.  The restaurant owner called and said that they would have to cancel as they cannot hire enough workers.

Southwest is short workers at most airports.  Many of the airport restaurants are short staffed.

Yet another reason to fly Delta.

Edited by NMTraveller

Just today WN (the real IATA code for Southwest) announced some flight cuts in order to deal with the labor shortages.  Lets be very honest about all of this and accept that every airline (not just Southwest) is going through similar problems with labor shortages and pilot availability.   While I have no problem with Delta (we just booked a flight with Delta) they also have their share of problems and delays.  My general rule when traveling out of the USA is to use foreign airlines (we have found them more reliable then US airlines) but when flying domestic we think all the airlines have issues.  

I will add that over a period of several decades we have found Southwest to be the most dependable US airline on keeping to their schedules and not making constant schedule changes.  When I book with Delta, AA or United using their 330 day booking limit it is with the knowledge that we have seldom to never ended up with the same schedule that we booked.  In fact our last booking with AA changed so much that it was impossible to make the connection (AA quickly agreed and refunded our money).  Southwest has recently gotten lots of bad publicity because of schedule problems but it has been happening with all the domestic airlines.

These days all travel is full of risk.  When flying to a cruise folks can reduce the risk by flying-in 1 or more days early.  When flying home after a cruise the risk is generally not as vital for most folks.

Hank

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just today WN (the real IATA code for Southwest) announced some flight cuts in order to deal with the labor shortages. 

Or SWA (the ICAO code for Southwest)

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Lets be very honest about all of this and accept that every airline (not just Southwest) is going through similar problems with labor shortages and pilot availability. 

If only the airlines would have gotten money during the pandemic to keep everyone employed, I'm sure that they wouldn't be having these issues.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, zdcatc12 said:

If only the airlines would have gotten money during the pandemic to keep everyone employed, I'm sure that they wouldn't be having these issues.

Good thing I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that....

• Haha 3