COME SAIL AWAY... FINALLY! Live Review of NCL Encore Alaska 8/21-8/28

drumexpert510

Have a great cruise!  We took the first cruise in 2 years on the Princess Majestic end of July.  Would like to take the Encore in September depending on restrictions.  You will enjoy just being on a ship again, we look forward to cruising when things are "normal again".

Looking forward to your updates and insights.  The Bird's review was so helpful for a first time NCL cruiser and someone who hadn't been on a cruise in 3 years.  I have seen and read updates on the Antigen Test conducted now at the Pier, rather than at the Marriott.  Seems like it is more organized with dropping your luggage at the Pier and walking upstairs for the test.  One review said they GIVE YOU THE SWAB AND YOU DO THE NOSE SWIRL, another says a technician does it.  I am curious if it is self administered or if a technician does it.  Curious also if they are linking your test time to the Boarding Time for the Ship.  I am on the August 28 cruise so the updates and insights will be very helpful to me.  Thank you.  

37 minutes ago, ecco41 said:

One review said they GIVE YOU THE SWAB AND YOU DO THE NOSE SWIRL, another says a technician does it. 

I read that too.  I doubt that is how they are supposed to do it, but that passenger may have just encountered the "new guy" technician.

• Like 1

Good morning everyone! We are currently in the waiting room waiting on test results so I figured I would post about the testing process so far.

The testing this week was neither at the Marriott nor the pier. It was at The Word Trade Center adjacent to the Marriott (SEE PICTURES).

My first observation was a lack of signage outside and we only found it because we ate breakfast at Opla which is attached to the testing site. We got in line at 9:15am and we were tested and in the waiting room by 9:30am so that was a breeze. There was a little confusion with the line after check in and they did not use the bar codes, the staff just asked for your name. The test used was an at home Binax test you would use at home and they gave you the swab to do it yourself. 

We have been waiting about 10 minutes and the waiting room is slowing filling up! I will update you all with how long it takes to get results. 

0A8D3C3B-A2D1-4FF0-891F-6CFC88A35BB5.jpeg

79C0AF77-EE46-4E84-BB34-E9699355F874.jpeg

5AD8F545-1173-4C86-988D-B7C18F8A1056.jpeg

31F85A77-474B-4A0C-A65C-6F7F085F2F38.jpeg

Edited by drumexpert510
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Quick update: As of 9:50am, we all have our results (negative) and are headed to check in to the ship! 

Tip: If you are staying at the Marriott Waterfront, keep all your bags in the room and go get them after testing. I do not advise anyone bringing their bags with them for testing. 

• Like 7

Another Update... there seems to be multiple testing sites. When we went back to the Marriott to grab our bags we saw this (see picture) and after asking, I can confirm there is another testing site AT the Marriott. You have to enter from outside and then follow a line into the ballroom.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, drumexpert510 said:

Another Update... there seems to be multiple testing sites. When we went back to the Marriott to grab our bags we saw this (see picture) and after asking, I can confirm there is another testing site AT the Marriott. You have to enter from outside and then follow a line into the ballroom.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Multiple testing sites make a lot of sense! 

10 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm just curious.  Why would it matter to you who the GM is?

Hi - we sailed with Deepak as the GM 4 times on the Escape in 2018.  He remembered us each time and took great care of us, as did his team.  It is always nice to see familiar faces on NCL cruises, and somehow they remember us from prior cruises, which is amazing considering they deal with thousands of people a week.  We always try to be nice, which probably helps.  Anyway, we hope he is still on next month.  Deepak is on the far right in this picture. 

IMG_0118.JPG

• Like 4

We have already been on board for 30 min. Check in went smoothly, there were several stations such as metal detectors, health screening and check in. We did have to wait for about 5 min in the check in room after we received our key cards but we were the first “non-haven” guests on board.

The first thing when you get on board is to head straight to your muster station... after that you are free to roam. We are currently in the observation lounge with snacks and drinks waiting on the rooms to be ready!

observation lounge drink list and snacks. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, CrusingwithChew said:

Any idea what time baggage drop opened up and can you drop your bags before your check in time.  Was thinking of dropping bags at the port and then exploring Seattle before our check in time at 1:00 pm. 

They had porters on site and taking baggage at 9am.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CrusingwithChew said:

Any idea what time baggage drop opened up and can you drop your bags before your check in time.  Was thinking of dropping bags at the port and then exploring Seattle before our check in time at 1:00 pm

Edited by drumexpert510
Duplicate post

Testing /Luggage Dropoff

Would you say NCL’s intended flow is that you first drop off your luggage at the pier? 

And then there would be a sign or person directing you to the next step?

(for the rest of us not staying at the Marriott)

Thanks for your reports!  My check-in opened up today for the Sept. 11th sailing and I’ve been debating on the time.  It sounds like it may make sense to do a later check-in time if we want to be able to go to our cabin right away to drop off carryons.   I was worried about how long the testing would take but it doesn’t sound bad at all.  I’m going to stick with a 12:00-12:30 pm check-in I think.

39 minutes ago, alohayall said:

Testing /Luggage Dropoff

Would you say NCL’s intended flow is that you first drop off your luggage at the pier? 

And then there would be a sign or person directing you to the next step?

(for the rest of us not staying at the Marriott)

That's what I plan on doing and seems to be the norm from other reports I have read.

3 hours ago, drumexpert510 said:

Good morning everyone! We are currently in the waiting room waiting on test results so I figured I would post about the testing process so far.

The testing this week was neither at the Marriott nor the pier. It was at The Word Trade Center adjacent to the Marriott (SEE PICTURES).

My first observation was a lack of signage outside and we only found it because we ate breakfast at Opla which is attached to the testing site. We got in line at 9:15am and we were tested and in the waiting room by 9:30am so that was a breeze. There was a little confusion with the line after check in and they did not use the bar codes, the staff just asked for your name. The test used was an at home Binax test you would use at home and they gave you the swab to do it yourself. 

We have been waiting about 10 minutes and the waiting room is slowing filling up! I will update you all with how long it takes to get results. 

0A8D3C3B-A2D1-4FF0-891F-6CFC88A35BB5.jpeg

79C0AF77-EE46-4E84-BB34-E9699355F874.jpeg

5AD8F545-1173-4C86-988D-B7C18F8A1056.jpeg

31F85A77-474B-4A0C-A65C-6F7F085F2F38.jpeg

Interesting, we had our test at the Marriott