MSC food on US cruises.

codeyell0

This seems like something many people talk about. the food on MSC some hate it and some like it.
I have seen many food videos and what not. 
What I do not recall much of is why they didn't like the food.   Mostly its what someone had and did they like it.
Was it bland? Were the dishes off the wall for Americans Taste? Were they expecting 5 star? Is everyone comparing food to other cruise lines?
I figure its an Italian ship, we Americans love Italian.  But from the description they say they serve many Mediterranean dishes, in the buffet anyway.

Let me know your review on an area, buffet, steak house, Pub, room service  what you did like and what you didn't. why?

Is Butchers Cut worth it?  I'm a steak guy so I love my ribeye and porterhouse but the price seems high.  But for a great steak I'll pay it.

thank you. 

We thought the food on MSC was overall quite acceptable to very good.  Pizza (in buffet) is excellent!  But it is not Domino's/Little Caesar's/Pizza Hut.  I recall that a couple of years ago a guy on CC, and on youtube, went on and on about how awful it was.  What was awful about it?  It wasn't anything like his hometown pizza.  It didn't even have cheddar cheese on it!!

There was a lot of variety, so we were never without a nice meal or snack, in both buffet and MDR.  One of my own favorites was the pecan sweet rolls at breakfast.

Have you sailed on other cruise lines?  Which ones?  How would you rate the food there?  Any particular likes and dislikes?

It’s certainly better/different on US sailings than in other regions!

Butchers’ Cut is our absolute favourite and always use our Diamond perk there (though teppanyaki seems very popular;  just not our thing). 

• Like 2

My only cruise with MSC was in the Yacht Club and they have their own dining room.  The food here was incredible.  I never got to try the other venue's.  We did get to try the Pizza and it was very tasty.  

Pizza is a very personal thing.  We are from Chicago and now live in Florida.  We were in Pizza shock when we moved here.

We have been on several Carnival cruises and the food was getting less and less tasty. 

On NCL the food was an improvement over Carnival.  Once we were in the Haven, and again a private restaurant that was very good.

We cruised once on Celebrity and was in a suite, so we ate in the Blu restaurant reserved for Suite and the food again was incredible.  

I am a new Diamond, and would appreciated knowing how to collect the perk (free Tasting Menu Dinner for two, ) at the Steakhouse.  First, what is the Tasting Menu?  Second, do I buy the experience online before the cruise, and not be charged for it, or do I book it in person at the Steakhouse once I am on board?  I would like to have a nice steak dinner for two on the only Gala Night on my upcoming cruise on Divina.  Any info or tips would be appreciated.

You just book your night when you’re onboard and tell them you’re using your Diamond perk.  It should be in the system.  If it’s not, you’ll need to see the Future Cruise Consultant who deals with Voyagers Club members. 

It’s no longer a tasting menu.  It’s a three course limited menu.  If it’s not posted here by someone else I’ll see if I can find a copy.  I’ve posted it in a couple of reviews on here over the years. 

18 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Diamond members get the ‘Dining Experience’ menu.  Here’s a copy from 2 years ago

C5BF8D4C-7392-4562-B1FA-7F435B8802F0.jpeg

From what I've seen this menu was not worth it.  Filet is nice but I like my ribeye. Sirloin is ok. someone mentioned they have sirloin in the MDR so why pay for this?  

The pizza was delicious.  As a YC guest, I experienced some preparations which were "different" from those that I have had for the same type of dish.  Our Chef liked Pesto and incorporated it in some--to me--unique ways.  Each was good.  Wandering through the buffet Restaurant, I saw many appetizing options.  

Did not try any of the specialty restaurants even though I could have done so.  I was that satisfied with my dining experience in the YC Restaurant.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The pizza was delicious.  As a YC guest, I experienced some preparations which were "different" from those that I have had for the same type of dish.  Our Chef liked Pesto and incorporated it in some--to me--unique ways.  Each was good.  Wandering through the buffet Restaurant, I saw many appetizing options.  

Did not try any of the specialty restaurants even though I could have done so.  I was that satisfied with my dining experience in the YC Restaurant.  

for the simple person is YC worth it? My family does not like fish, or seafood. 

16 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

The food in the main dining room, and buffet aren't gourmet, but, in my opinion, very good for the most part. The pizza is the best at sea, and comparable to a good pizzeria.

Can you request toppings? wife loves pineapple i like pepperoni or all meats.  Or can you order a whole pie?

2 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

for the simple person is YC worth it? My family does not like fish, or seafood. 

As others have said elsewhere, Yacht Club is very accommodating. In general terms, if you give the YC dining room adequate, advance notice (and the ingredients are on the ship) they'll prepare what you like for dinner.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We thought the food on MSC was overall quite acceptable to very good.  Pizza (in buffet) is excellent!  But it is not Domino's/Little Caesar's/Pizza Hut.  I recall that a couple of years ago a guy on CC, and on youtube, went on and on about how awful it was.  What was awful about it?  It wasn't anything like his hometown pizza.  It didn't even have cheddar cheese on it!!

There was a lot of variety, so we were never without a nice meal or snack, in both buffet and MDR.  One of my own favorites was the pecan sweet rolls at breakfast.

Have you sailed on other cruise lines?  Which ones?  How would you rate the food there?  Any particular likes and dislikes?

lol I remember this review . He showed some terrible picture and called it real Pizza. lol I booked a WP cabin on Seaside after his review and it was the best cruise ever.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

pizza on MSc made by real Italian chefs ,if yo ask for pineapple on your pizza he will jump overboard lol

I actually like one pizza topping combination that includes pineapple, but I'm adding a GIF to the fire anyway...
pineapple.gif.216a1df77625aa6bfaf68c52aca73e0c.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

In the yacht Club restaurant, sometimes the food is a bit 'fancy' for me. I am not a real gourmet ! That is not to say it isn't good.

On the Italian theme night, we always opt to eat in the main dining room. More my kind of food. Fried calamari., lasagna, garlic bread, etc.. They also blast Italian music there & the waiters dance around.

The YC restaurant is to proper for that !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

From what I've seen this menu was not worth it.  Filet is nice but I like my ribeye. Sirloin is ok. someone mentioned they have sirloin in the MDR so why pay for this?  

Ribeye is my preferred cut, too.  I always have the lamb chops in Butchers Cut when we eat there.   Love them!

Yes, sirloin is on the always available menu on (only) US sailings.  

Twangster posted the BC option for Diamond the past week.  Pizza is best at sea.  Buffet was ok pre C but recent reports scaled back which makes sense based on reduced capacity.  We've had two BC meals and probably best at sea we've had.

13 hours ago, Beamafar said:

You just book your night when you’re onboard and tell them you’re using your Diamond perk.  It should be in the system.  If it’s not, you’ll need to see the Future Cruise Consultant who deals with Voyagers Club members. 

It’s no longer a tasting menu.  It’s a three course limited menu.  If it’s not posted here by someone else I’ll see if I can find a copy.  I’ve posted it in a couple of reviews on here over the years. 

Thanks for your quick reply.. much appreciated.  That menu looks fine.. it's not really about the food in my case, I am mainly looking for a quiet table for two for dinner.   Really any food will do, but I can see plenty of choices I like on that menu.

• Like 1

We went on the Seaside a couple of years ago.  I thought the Specialty restaurants were great.  I liked the buffet, but I thought the Main Dining Room was awful.  They covered everything in a bland sauce and the portions were small.  The deserts all tasted the samel.

12 hours ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

lol I remember this review . He showed some terrible picture and called it real Pizza. lol I booked a WP cabin on Seaside after his review and it was the best cruise ever.

Yeah, that was Jim Zim.  He basically didn't like it because of the thinner crust...he likes the real thick, almost deep-dish pizza.  Personally, I loved the pizza on Divina and Seaside.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, back-at-it said:

Pizza is a very personal thing.  We are from Chicago and now live in Florida.  We were in Pizza shock when we moved here.

😄  So true.

15 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

Can you request toppings? wife loves pineapple i like pepperoni or all meats.  Or can you order a whole pie?

12 hours ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

pizza on MSc made by real Italian chefs ,if yo ask for pineapple on your pizza he will jump overboard lol

LOL.  Also, so true.

Reminds us of our stays in Boston on the waterfront, easy walk to Hanover Street and the North End (aka Nawthend).  When our grandkids visiting were with us I'd go with my Boston based son (grandkids fav uncle) to a top Italian eatery with a side door to the kitchen for take out.

All generational Italian family members.  Since they 'were known for their char or sear on their crust bottom, and that the grandkids didn't even like crust on a piece of toast, my son asked the cook if he could not char the bottom. 

He said "no, go somewhere else." 😅 

We still ordered the pizzas.  🍕

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, NYHartChapp said:

Yeah, that was Jim Zim.  He basically didn't like it because of the thinner crust...he likes the real thick, almost deep-dish pizza.  Personally, I loved the pizza on Divina and Seaside.

His review was really amazing, and I told him so. Really well-written and with lots of photos. I simply disagreed with him about the pizza, because he was comparing the offerings from his favorite pizzeria back home in California to the truly authentic Italian pizza served on MSC. Personally, I like pretty much ALL kinds of pizza, and I was blown away by MSC's. We got some from room service in the YC last time, it was amazing. The only downside is that my wife ordered vegetarian and I love meat, so I got my own, but couldn't finish it, and had to throw a lot of it away (sad face). I think MSC's food is top-notch.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

Was that the guy that complained he couldn’t fit in the walk-in wardrobe to dress at the same time as his wife, or am I confusing him with someone else, GB?

• Like 2