NCL Jade 11 infections last week

SpainAlien

I don't find anything regarding the cruise when I google it.  In any case, based on the short video clips, I assume it was an LGBT type "specialty cruise".  The announcer in the video indicates that everyone on that particular cruise had been vaccinated (which is NCL's policy for all cruises currently).  We do know that breakthrough COVID infections can occur so is any of this really a surprise?    What exactly is the issue here?

• Like 2

Certainly there were some relaxed protocols because it was a Charter, but I think the "issue" is that even though NCL is 100% vaccinated there are 11 cases onboard and the crew has lost some privileges in trying to keep them virus free.

Yes, we know breakthrough cases do happen, but based on the number of people stating they would only cruise on ships that are 100% vaccinated, I suspect some people held high hope that NCL would be successful keeping covid at bay. 

• Like 3

This is of particular interest because we're booked on the Jade in September. 

My reaction - 11 out of 2400 is less than 0.5 percent. Even with what apparently were "relaxed " protocols.

I probably have a better chance of getting COVID if I stay home doing the things I'm doing even though I'm always masked (shopping, church, etc.). People who live  in some parts of the country where the numbers are worse are probably MUCH safer on a cruise.

This doesn't change our plans at all.

Edited by MDPastor
Typo
  • Like 11

24 minutes ago, MDPastor said:

This is of particular interest because we're booked on the Jade in September. 

My reaction - 11 out of 2400 is less than 0.5 percent. Even with what apparently were "relaxed " protocols.

I probably have a better chance of getting COVID if I stay home doing the things I'm doing even though I'm always masked (shopping, church, etc.). People who live  in some parts of the country where the numbers are worse are probably MUCH safer on a cruise.

This doesn't change our plans at all.

Actually, I don't believe this is accurate. If we use a current rolling average for Florida of 20,000 cases a day (it's actually less than that) x 7 day cruise gives us 140,000 cases in a 7 day period. There are 21.48 million people in Florida which makes the percentage .6 (nearly identical).

If my numbers are correct (and I hope someone will point out any errors), the odds of contracting covid on a ship are about the same as the odds of living in Florida. Not trying to be argumentative, just keeping data accurate.

The part about this I find interesting is that this ship was 100% vaccinated, which does not bode well for cruise ship stats. I'm not at all suggesting you should change plans. I am willing to take a .6% risk, my only point is that it does not appear anyone is "MUCH safer on a cruise.". 

Comparing the incidence of COVID cases on this Jade cruise to the current rate of known cases in Florida is meaningless.  Presumably, everyone on the cruise got tested at some point prior to disembarking.  For a comparable statistic in Florida, one would have to test everyone in the state to see what the current COVID rate is.  That isn't being done.  I'm pretty confident that the true incidence of COVID in Florida is much much higher than the rate on the August 15 Jade cruise.

• Like 16

28 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Actually, I don't believe this is accurate. If we use a current rolling average for Florida of 20,000 cases a day (it's actually less than that) x 7 day cruise gives us 140,000 cases in a 7 day period. There are 21.48 million people in Florida which makes the percentage .6 (nearly identical).

If my numbers are correct (and I hope someone will point out any errors), the odds of contracting covid on a ship are about the same as the odds of living in Florida. Not trying to be argumentative, just keeping data accurate.

The part about this I find interesting is that this ship was 100% vaccinated, which does not bode well for cruise ship stats. I'm not at all suggesting you should change plans. I am willing to take a .6% risk, my only point is that it does not appear anyone is "MUCH safer on a cruise.". 

Well, what is your definition of safer? I'm not a expert, but I know I feel better/safer NOT because I think there is a lesser chance of me getting infected/spreading, but more because IF I do get infected, I won't be spreading sickness to anyone unvaccinated, who are some of the most vulnerable to more extreme cases of covid and hospitalization. 

Hope that makes sense. 

• Like 2

There were 11 cases as of yesterday when the ship pulled into port, correct?   

I have a family member who lost sense of taste and had a high fever and tested negative 3 days after exposure while others in the house who were exposed earlier and had less symptoms tested positive.   

It can take a few days for a positive test AND not all negatives (or positives) are correct.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kflynn1120 said:

There were 11 cases as of yesterday when the ship pulled into port, correct?   

I have a family member who lost sense of taste and had a high fever and tested negative 3 days after exposure while others in the house who were exposed earlier and had less symptoms tested positive.   

It can take a few days for a positive test AND not all negatives (or positives) are correct.

I have a friend who is a nurse, who vaccinates people and does contact tracing and such

she told me (about incubation periods): 2-14 days. Average is 5-8. Delta 4-6 days. Infectious approx 2 days prior

So my guess is, most of these people are not getting Covid on the ship, but before they get on the ship. 

I cruise on Sept 4th, I am doing a 3 week quarantine,  (easy because I  luckily work from home), flying in day of cruise and leaving the day the cruise ends, because really want to be negative and reduce my risk. 

Edited by aubreyc1988
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Yeah not quite the same comparison of a state to a ship.  I think at the end of the day its as safe as we are going to get.  If everyone is vaccinated and it prevents or lowers infection risk to the point its not an issue then they should just make the ship mask less and go with it.  That way we can get as close to normal as possible on the ships.  It would also give the countries being visited some peace of mind.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Well, what is your definition of safer? I'm not a expert, but I know I feel better/safer NOT because I think there is a lesser chance of me getting infected/spreading, but more because IF I do get infected, I won't be spreading sickness to anyone unvaccinated, who are some of the most vulnerable to more extreme cases of covid and hospitalization. 

Hope that makes sense. 

Safer wasn't my word. I feel safe in a room full of infected people. I have just never been afraid of the virus even last March. The only co-morbidity I have is that I'm in my early 50's so I'm willing to run with those odds.

But I think I understand what you are saying and I think you are a kind soul for thinking of others :).

50 minutes ago, classy_cruiser said:

This cruise only had about 1200 passengers. The passengers have to quarantine for 10 days in a Greek government hotel. 

That puts the stats closer to 1% which supports my belief that we are not 'safer' on a cruise ship in terms of catching the virus. 

Again, that wouldn't stop me from sailing 🙂

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Certainly there were some relaxed protocols because it was a Charter, but I think the "issue" is that even though NCL is 100% vaccinated there are 11 cases onboard and the crew has lost some privileges in trying to keep them virus free.

Yes, we know breakthrough cases do happen, but based on the number of people stating they would only cruise on ships that are 100% vaccinated, I suspect some people held high hope that NCL would be successful keeping covid at bay. 

Not sure what “relaxed protocols” means. I suppose that the Jade had specific protocols for Greece?  

Otherwise, NCL in the States does not require masks or social distancing on its cruises. We were packed into the Atrium daily on the Encore watching game shows. 

wrt the video, it should not be hard to track the crew member who sent it out. It is a clear violation of their contract. 

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The data on the Jade  shows great promise and progress for the industry.  Consider the Diamond Princess sailing that kicked off the cruise hiatus produced 145 crew plus 567 Covid positive passengers, the Jade sailing along with fully vaccinated and tested ships shows extreme progress.  Not sure I see this as an issue.  Then again you have regularly cited various data points to support your assertion of the industry’s imminent demise.  I don’t share your enthusiastic view for shorting NCLH or the cruise industry.  Seems they’re well run and are making a good comeback. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think part of what is not being discussed is the lack of social distancing in the pictures of people by the pool partying. I know this community of folks and have been to plenty of parties in the past with some of my favorite people. All I can say is it’s not really surprising. During a regular cruise, a lot of what was going on, wouldn’t be going on on a regular cruise. Looks like they all had a blast. As long as the crew were okay then all I can say is let it be. 

And just to clarify, for those who are old enough… Paladium, Studio 54, Limelight and the like. People who clubbed and danced were all up in each others spaces when dancing and partying.

Edited by SwimmingDragon
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, littlelulu01 said:

Then again you have regularly cited various data points to support your assertion of the industry’s imminent demise.  I don’t share your enthusiastic view for shorting NCLH or the cruise industry.  Seems they’re well run and are making a good comeback. 

While I strongly disagree, I can certainly respect your view. Only time will tell. 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Not sure what “relaxed protocols” means. I suppose that the Jade had specific protocols for Greece?  

Otherwise, NCL in the States does not require masks or social distancing on its cruises. We were packed into the Atrium daily on the Encore watching game shows. 

wrt the video, it should not be hard to track the crew member who sent it out. It is a clear violation of their contract. 

Due to Greek government (or EU, not sure which) requirements, the Jade has had masks required inside (or outside where social distancing is impossible) as well as modifications for social distancing.

The video shows these were clearly not observed on the cruise in question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Jade has been requiring guests to wear masks indoors (some EU guidance thing).  But I can't imagine that rule being waived for the charter, so yeah, not sure what would have been relaxed.

4 minutes ago, kevintheoman said:

Jade has been requiring guests to wear masks indoors (some EU guidance thing).  But I can't imagine that rule being waived for the charter, so yeah, not sure what would have been relaxed.

According to the photos the mask rule was waived for this cruise. I'm not sure about any embarkation testing being waved, but if masks weren't officially waived, the mandate was not being followed.

*It should be noted that this story only has one source. 

• Like 1