Pfizer FDA approval's impact on cruising

Brew12

I haven't seen Carnival address this yet but I think it is very interesting.

Now that Pfizer's vaccine has been fully approved, doctor's can legally give it to children of any age. So yes, it is now possible that you could have fully vaccinated children under 12 on a cruise ship. I don't know that any doctors would actually do this since they wouldn't have legal coverage if the child has an adverse reaction, but it is possible.

The other impact this has is that doctors can now authorize a Pfizer vaccine booster shot to anyone, and I suspect more doctors would be willing to do this. If you consider yourself high risk and got your original vaccine over 6 months ago this might be a good conversation to have with your doctor before you cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read that the vaccine is still not recommended for children under 12.  I have a feeling that once it is recommended, the dosage might either be reduced or they will only need one shot.  But as of now, it is not recommended. As far as the booster shot, that may save the lives of very high risk people.  I told a few relatives about the booster and hope they get them soon.  

For cruising, I think the ports of call pretty much dictate the requirements.  If they require only vaccinated people, then the cruise lines really have no choice.  I hope the FDA approval leads to more people feeling comfortable with getting the vaccine.  Until the vaccine is recommended for children, it seems like parents would hold off on exposing their children by traveling.  

9 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

I haven't seen Carnival address this yet but I think it is very interesting.

Now that Pfizer's vaccine has been fully approved, doctor's can legally give it to children of any age. So yes, it is now possible that you could have fully vaccinated children under 12 on a cruise ship. I don't know that any doctors would actually do this since they wouldn't have legal coverage if the child has an adverse reaction, but it is possible.

The other impact this has is that doctors can now authorize a Pfizer vaccine booster shot to anyone, and I suspect more doctors would be willing to do this. If you consider yourself high risk and got your original vaccine over 6 months ago this might be a good conversation to have with your doctor before you cruise.

FDA approval is only for ages 16 and older. It is still EUA for 12-16 and not approved for under 12. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, simmingdenise said:

It is not approved for kids under 12.

You are correct, but it can be legally approved by a doctor now that it is a fully approved vaccine. Doctors have leeway on how and who to use fully approved drugs on. If a doctor feels an 10 year old would benefit from the vaccine, he can legally administer it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brew12 said:

You are correct, but it can be legally approved by a doctor now that it is a fully approved vaccine. Doctors have leeway on how and who to use fully approved drugs on. If a doctor feels an 10 year old would benefit from the vaccine, he can legally administer it. 

It doesn’t shield a Dr from liability for prescribing off label use of an approved drug. No Dr is going to give a 10 year old a vaccine not yet approved for their age group so they can go on a cruise.

I bet none of the cruise lines will require it until it has the emergency use approval for under 12.

Just now, simmingdenise said:

It doesn’t shield a Dr from liability for prescribing off label use of an approved drug. No Dr is going to give a 10 year old a vaccine not yet approved for their age group so they can go on a cruise.

I bet none of the cruise lines will require it until it has the emergency use approval for under 12.

I agree that no cruise line will require it and that no doctor would do it just to allow the child to go on a cruise. 

I would not be in the least bit surprised if some doctors have already had their own children under 12 vaccinated. It is no longer a valid assumption that all children under 12 are not vaccinated.

15 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I have an 11-year-old and would LOVE to have the vaccine available to him now, but doctors are being warned against off-label use in younger kids.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Wellness/covid-19-vaccines-kids/story?id=77505555

Yup. Doctors are also being warned against prescribing Ivermectin for treating Covid and yet they are doing it in large numbers. 

Just like anything else, doctors will weigh the risk vs reward and each will make their own judgements. 

• Like 1

You are making a HUGE inference that is incorrect. The Pfizer vaccine is approved by the FDA now for 12 and older. The only difference than before is that anyone getting vaccinated as of Monday 8/23 can file a lawsuit against Pfizer for any effects due to the vaccine. Those prior to 8/23 are stuck with the EUA act that leaves Pfizer 100% immune to any litigation or liability. Under 12 is still not approved for Pfizer...yet.

2 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Under 12 is still not approved for Pfizer...yet.

Actually full approval is for age 16 and up. 12 to 15 year old children can receive the vaccine under the Emergency Use Authorization. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

You are making a HUGE inference that is incorrect. The Pfizer vaccine is approved by the FDA now for 12 and older. The only difference than before is that anyone getting vaccinated as of Monday 8/23 can file a lawsuit against Pfizer for any effects due to the vaccine. Those prior to 8/23 are stuck with the EUA act that leaves Pfizer 100% immune to any litigation or liability. Under 12 is still not approved for Pfizer...yet.

I'd suggest you do a little research before you claim I am incorrect. For fully approved medications and vaccines doctors can legally prescribe them outside of their FDA authorized uses, including age. It is actually a very common practice. The doctor does open themselves up to some legal risk but not as much as you may suspect.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to prove about this here on a cruise forum. Even if off-label use does occur, Carnival isn't going to change any of their policies until it's officially authorized for younger ages.

I'm not trying to prove anything. Only pointing out that may have fully vaccinated passengers under 12 on these cruises in under 6 weeks. Carnival may adjust some of their wording to clarify that not all passengers under 12 fall into an unvaccinated category.

Edited by Brew12

No doctor that wants to maintain their license and financial well-being would ever prescribe a covid vaccine for anything other than a vaccination. If a doctor prescribes Pfizer's to an 8-year old for a yeast infection, you will see public hangings. Don't be so simple minded on the FDA approval for Pfizer's vaccine. It is only approved as a vaccine for covid for 16 and older (as corrected by another poster). 

Edited by BoozinCroozin

2 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

No doctor that wants to maintain their license and financial well-being would ever prescribe a covid vaccine for anything other than a vaccination. If a doctor prescribes Pfizer's to an 8-year old for a yeast infection, you will see public hangings. Don't be so simple minded on the FDA approval for Pfizer's vaccine. It is only approved as a vaccine for covid for 16 and older (as corrected by another poster). 

???

Not sure why you quoted me, earlier I pointed out and linked to an article saying it shouldn't yet be given to anyone under 12.