Nassau

Mkripke

7 hours ago, Gatordad1967 said:

bummer.  Well their economy misses out on the revenue.

We were there on the Aug 1 cruise, not much is open and that was when you could get off on your own - like all the shops looked shuttered

We had a small FC credit that we had to use and put toward a 10/23 3-day quick get-away weekend cruise on Summit to Nassau. The original plan was to go to Atlantis for a couple hours, but otherwise just enjoy the cruise and chill on our veranda with a couple glasses of wine watching the sunset. While it’s still about 60 days away and things can change and (maybe) improve, I suspect the cruise may just be cancelled. However, would be nice if they just offer an alternate port for that one day where you could possibly get off like Key West. Guess we’ll just wait and see. 

18 hours ago, Mkripke said:

I see now only Celebrity excursions are allowed, but what about going off to do some shopping, can you still do that?

Nassau is the ONE port that we have visited where we wish we had stayed on the ship instead of going ashore.

6 hours ago, CMW5060 said:

However, would be nice if they just offer an alternate port for that one day where you could possibly get off like Key West. Guess we’ll just wait and see. 

Wouldn't mind skipping Nassau for CocoCay or Key West. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

The general poverty of many Caribbean nations makes it difficult for the governments to provide vaccinations to their people.  The cost of the vaccines is prohibitive; the cost of the infrastructure to give approx 300,000 [for the Bahamas] sets of shots [refrigeration/preservation of the vaccine; shipment to vaccination centers across hundreds of islands; medical personnel; record keeping; the cost of 600,000 needles/syringes; ...] is prohibitive.  

I have called on the various cruise lines and the US govt to work together to help -- for example, every cruise ship could give one hundred plus vaccinations every day in port using ship personnel and needles/syringes/vaccine provided by the US gov't, in port facilities provided by the local gov't - force the local gov't to grant waivers of liability for the medical personnel and the cruise line [for when the long-term adverse effects of these supposedly safe shots are discovered and when Bill Gates activates the nanochips that we have all welcomed into our bodies].

This would improve the health of the islanders, and would slowly allow the cruise passengers to get back to our touring as usual!  Completely selfish by the cruise ships, the cruise passengers and me!

Ok.  I am 110% in agreement there.  I just like going to John Bull.

Don't ask me why, I don't think I ever bought anything there but cologne. I like the statue of the man.

5 minutes ago, Islandhop9 said:

Wouldn't mind skipping Nassau for CocoCay or Key West. 

I would love for Celebrity to start stopping at Coco Cay.  The Beach Club looks fabulous.  We never get off the ship in Nassau anymore.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, micheleg said:

I would love for Celebrity to start stopping at Coco Cay.  The Beach Club looks fabulous.  We never get off the ship in Nassau anymore.

Agree. 1 port canceled. Another port, must take ship tour. Two ports left.. We no longer consider ports for Eastern or Western Caribbean. Just go for the ship.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, asctony said:

Agree. 1 port canceled. Another port, must take ship tour. Two ports left.. We no longer consider ports for Eastern or Western Caribbean. Just go for the ship.

I prefer eastern Caribbean tho.  It is nice to get off and walk around.  At this rate, our 9/25 is going to have one "free" port in St. Thomas, and 5 ship days

3 minutes ago, Gatordad1967 said:

I prefer eastern Caribbean tho.  It is nice to get off and walk around.  At this rate, our 9/25 is going to have one "free" port in St. Thomas, and 5 ship days

Yes, we like Eastern better than Western. That is all we normally do,  walk around. Been so often. 

11 hours ago, CMW5060 said:

We had a small FC credit that we had to use and put toward a 10/23 3-day quick get-away weekend cruise on Summit to Nassau. The original plan was to go to Atlantis for a couple hours, but otherwise just enjoy the cruise and chill on our veranda with a couple glasses of wine watching the sunset. While it’s still about 60 days away and things can change and (maybe) improve, I suspect the cruise may just be cancelled. However, would be nice if they just offer an alternate port for that one day where you could possibly get off like Key West. Guess we’ll just wait and see. 

We're also on this same trip and I've been wondering how things will play out.  As of now, I believe they are doing ship sponsored excursions only, and by requiring proof of vaccination the ship can still dock, but if things get shut down even more I don't see any option but to cancel.  Since Nassau is the only port of call for this 3 day trip I don't believe there is another foreign port to call upon to meet the PVSA since it is such a short cruise.  I'm sure there is someone else more knowledgeable than me regarding this so it will be interesting to hear the speculation.

49 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

We're also on this same trip and I've been wondering how things will play out.  As of now, I believe they are doing ship sponsored excursions only, and by requiring proof of vaccination the ship can still dock, but if things get shut down even more I don't see any option but to cancel.  Since Nassau is the only port of call for this 3 day trip I don't believe there is another foreign port to call upon to meet the PVSA since it is such a short cruise.  I'm sure there is someone else more knowledgeable than me regarding this so it will be interesting to hear the speculation.

I also read that we’d have to apply for some sort of Bahamian Travel Heath Visa attesting that we are fully vaccinated if you were going ashore. I want to say it’s like $60?? Not worth it for a few hour tour!  We tried to do this same trip last April, then Covid hit and it was cancelled. Hence the FCC we had hanging out there. Oh well, guess we’ll have to see what happens.  If it goes foward, meet y’all at the Sunset Bar for cocktails!! 😊

3 minutes ago, CMW5060 said:

I also read that we’d have to apply for some sort of Bahamian Travel Heath Visa attesting that we are fully vaccinated if you were going ashore. I want to say it’s like $60?? Not worth it for a few hour tour!  We tried to do this same trip last April, then Covid hit and it was cancelled. Hence the FCC we had hanging out there. Oh well, guess we’ll have to see what happens.  If it goes foward, meet y’all at the Sunset Bar for cocktails!! 😊

I believe that cruise ship passengers do not need to acquire the visa. Instead, the ship's passenger/crew manifest indicating the vaccination status of each person is required.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I'm curious because I've seen several posts from people who don't like Nassau.  Why not?  Aren't there lots of things to do, shopping, snorkeling, sitting on the beach?

The vendors at the port can be pushy.  Other than that, it is a pretty nice city/island.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cangelmd said:

We were there on the Aug 1 cruise, not much is open and that was when you could get off on your own - like all the shops looked shuttered

We were there on a combination cruise and four day stay at Atlantis.  Nassau has never been my favorite port, but it’s very sad now - everything closed and a curfew.  The cab driver that took us from the ship to Atlantis was telling us that residents wish they could get vaccinated and can’t understand why US people aren’t getting vaccinated when available.  He was optimistic about the ships returning and revenues for those in tourism getting better.  Our visit was August 6 to August 18, so just before the elevation to 4.  I had a little bit of discomfort in Atlantis - quite a few people on the property we’re unmasked - had a rapid test at Atlantis for the flight home.  

• Thanks 1