How to handle a cruise fare reduction?

We booked five cabins for our family (1B, 1B, 2D, OS, 1K) for a short three day cruise on the Freedom of the Seas.  Last night we decided to look at the RCCL website and realized that the fares for each of these cabins are lower than what we paid.  The difference in the fares from what we paid to what we can book now is 1B ($918), 1B ($918), 2D ($283), OS ($213) and 1K ($1075) for a total of $3,408.  I contacted the TA asking if RCCL would either refund the difference or provide on board credits or upgrade the cabins to (J3 for the 1B and 2D cabins) and (RS for the OS cabin).  The 1K would stay in their cabin.

RCCL said the only category that applies to any rate reduction is the Owners Suite

She stated the other categories are sold out – so there is no way for it repriced.

She stated the amount for you and your room would be a credit of $271.74 – it is processed within 14 days or less.

Any suggestions as I can look at the sailing October 8th and see many cabins still available in the categories we booked or categories we requested to be moved into?  If you see there no categories available, please let me know.

TIA for suggestions

2 minutes ago, Lane412000 said:

Any suggestions as I can look at the sailing October 8th and see many cabins still available in the categories we booked or categories we requested to be moved into?

Call back, maybe several times - all price drops should get OBC, not just the OS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This morning I found another fare reduction.  It was for Liberty of the Seas May 8, 2022 out of Galveston for Texas residents.  I called my wonderful TA who got right on it and my trip got reprised immediately.  I hope more folks can benefit too.  It covered a couple more sailings in May also.

All the categories ( 1B, 2D, 1K) you've booked are wait listed except the OS so you can't get a price reduction since nothing's available.  You SHOULD be able to upgrade the other ones. I'm looking right now at the TA site.

Your agent should be able to move you to better cabins though.  

13 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

All the categories ( 1B, 2D, 1K) you've booked are wait listed except the OS so you can't get a price reduction since nothing's available.  You SHOULD be able to upgrade the other ones. I'm looking right now at the TA site.

Your agent should be able to move you to better cabins though.  

But, right now I am on the RCCL website and I see three 1K cabins available that I can book and also four 1B cabins available that I can select and book.  If you are looking at the TA site then I guess RCCL is correct, I am just confused that I can book on my own these cabins at lower rates than what I had originally booked.

Do you suggest that I book these on my own as I can through the RCCL website at the lower cruise fare and then have the TA cancel the cabins I currently have booked and paid?

TIA

54 minutes ago, Lane412000 said:

We booked five cabins for our family (1B, 1B, 2D, OS, 1K) for a short three day cruise on the Freedom of the Seas.  Last night we decided to look at the RCCL website and realized that the fares for each of these cabins are lower than what we paid.  The difference in the fares from what we paid to what we can book now is 1B ($918), 1B ($918), 2D ($283), OS ($213) and 1K ($1075) for a total of $3,408.  I contacted the TA asking if RCCL would either refund the difference or provide on board credits or upgrade the cabins to (J3 for the 1B and 2D cabins) and (RS for the OS cabin).  The 1K would stay in their cabin.

RCCL said the only category that applies to any rate reduction is the Owners Suite

She stated the other categories are sold out – so there is no way for it repriced.

She stated the amount for you and your room would be a credit of $271.74 – it is processed within 14 days or less.

Any suggestions as I can look at the sailing October 8th and see many cabins still available in the categories we booked or categories we requested to be moved into?  If you see there no categories available, please let me know.

TIA for suggestions

rccl honors All price reductions. states  best price guarantee. if you are outside the 90 day you get the new price or refund.  if you are within the 90 day you will get OBC.  keep calling until you get some to work with you.

• Like 1

No but with their best price guarantee it does not matter. The only difference is you would get OBC and not a reduction in amount due.

Spot a better price on your booked cruise? Our Best Price Guarantee lets you take advantage of a better price up to 48 hours before your sail date — just give us a call. You’ll receive the difference as a non-refundable onboard credit inside final payment or rate adjustment outside final payment.

If you are booked through a TA they will not do it for you. your TA has to call that is the only person they will handle it with.

• Like 1

We did the same for our November sailing.  We talked to our TA at Vacations To Go that we've been working with for years, and he was able to book on on the SAME SHIP, SAME CABIN with an identical itinerary (except for one extra day) in April at almost half the price of our November cruise.