Cruise line cancelled cruise, how can i get bck the money I paid for third party insurance

Sunburg1

We booked a cruise for October 2 and purchased third party insurance through the Travel Insurance.com. Today the cruse line cancelled the cruise. So far i have been unable to get anywhere calling the Insurance company. How can I best get my money back.

Many times an insurance company will let you transfer a policy to another cruise. If that does not work for you and the insurance company refuses to refund your money, consider contacting the office of your state’s insurance commissioner.  

When cruises were cancelled at the beginning of the pandemic, people reported success in getting a refund by working with the state agency that regulates insurance.

22 hours ago, Sunburg1 said:

We booked a cruise for October 2 and purchased third party insurance through the Travel Insurance.com. Today the cruse line cancelled the cruise. So far i have been unable to get anywhere calling the Insurance company. How can I best get my money back.

Hi Sunburg1

You need to call TravelInsurance.com for their help. Since they earned a commission from your sail, they are morally obligated to help you.

If they won't help, let me know and I'll help you.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm covered for the cruise portion via cc insurance if I cancel and I imagine I'll get $$ back from the cruise line if they cancel.  What about airline tickets?  My cc insurance would cover it if I cancel due to illness...but what if the cruise is cancelled and I no longer need the non-refundable air tickets?

4 hours ago, CTLeeA said:

I'm covered for the cruise portion via cc insurance if I cancel and I imagine I'll get $$ back from the cruise line if they cancel.  What about airline tickets?  My cc insurance would cover it if I cancel due to illness...but what if the cruise is cancelled and I no longer need the non-refundable air tickets?

Non-refundable air is often difficult to get reimbursed from insurance of any kind because the air line will issue a voucher if you cancel. The insurance company will consider that you have been reimbursed at that point.

During the shut down some airlines did give cash refunds, but I’m not sure how it would be handled now that cruising has resumed. Typically, they are not responsible if your related travel plans change. They are still flying.

The only way to know is to call your cc company and ask.

The difference being:  we cancel due to illness (covered) v. we cancel for another reason (the cruise is cancelled)...the latter is non-covered.  I'm wondering if there is an option I'm over looking since a refundable air ticket is about 50% more than a non-refundable ticket and 'Cancellation for Any Reason Insurance' caps the refund at 50%-75% of the cost.    

2 hours ago, CTLeeA said:

The difference being:  we cancel due to illness (covered) v. we cancel for another reason (the cruise is cancelled)...the latter is non-covered.  I'm wondering if there is an option I'm over looking since a refundable air ticket is about 50% more than a non-refundable ticket and 'Cancellation for Any Reason Insurance' caps the refund at 50%-75% of the cost.    

The fly in the ointment is that air lines give a voucher for a non-refundable flight that you cancel regardless of the reason as part of their  Contract of Carriage.  As far as the airline is concerned, there is no covered vs. non-covered. The insurance company considers it compensation so there is no loss and no basis for claim.  Are you sure  your cc will cover your air fare with cash reimbursement?  It may require a phone call to confirm.

If not, the only way around it is to ask if they will allow you to decline the voucher. I don’t know that cc coverage will do that, but there are some third-party policies that will allow you to sign a document testifying  you will not use the voucher or perhaps you surrender it. The only way to know is to ask before you buy; however, if you want to use only the cc coverage, be prepared to accept a voucher for air fare regardless of the reason you are unable to go. 

What you wrote did trigger something back in some of my unused brain cells.  It seems I needed to contend with the same situation years ago and was told by AA that if I didn't use a voucher or credit for the cancelled ticket (I cancelled) within a year, I would get a refund.  However, it seems the CC you referred to  changed last month and in part reads:  

We will refund a non-refundable ticket (or the value of the unused segment of your trip) to the original form of payment if:

• You cancel within 24 hours of booking (and booked at least 2 days before departure).
  • We cancel your flight
  • We make a schedule change that results in a change of more than 4 hours to your departure time
  • A passenger or their travel companion dies. (Supporting paperwork is required)
  • Military orders require you to cancel your trip. (Supporting paperwork is required)

If you bought your ticket through a travel agency or another booking source, contact them for a refund.

Well, those are covered reasons, but not the typical ones recognized by travel insurance for other kinds of non-refundable expenses. The first three may be required by law as they are standard practice with any airline even without insurance. 

It looks like that leaves you in the same place. If you cancel for illness- no refund. If the cruise line cancels - no refund. If what AA said is still true, then you could deal with them when the time limit expires. 

14 hours ago, Babr said:

The fly in the ointment is that air lines give a voucher for a non-refundable flight that you cancel regardless of the reason as part of their  Contract of Carriage.  As far as the airline is concerned, there is no covered vs. non-covered. The insurance company considers it compensation so there is no loss and no basis for claim.  Are you sure  your cc will cover your air fare with cash reimbursement?  It may require a phone call to confirm.

If not, the only way around it is to ask if they will allow you to decline the voucher. I don’t know that cc coverage will do that, but there are some third-party policies that will allow you to sign a document testifying  you will not use the voucher or perhaps you surrender it. The only way to know is to ask before you buy; however, if you want to use only the cc coverage, be prepared to accept a voucher for air fare regardless of the reason you are unable to go. 

We have previously (several years ago) posted about this issue which existed prior to COVID.  In a sense it is a "rip off" by the various insurance companies.  Consider that most folks who book trip insurance insure the value of their entire trip including a cruise, air and hotels.  But the airlines have long been pretty reasonable when it comes to non-refundable fares if the customer has a real, documented and compelling reason to cancel.  So, for example, most airlines will give lots of consideration to giving vouchers (usually good for 1 year from the date of the original booking) if the customer cancels because of death (in the immediate family) or sickness.  Insurance companies are well aware of this and will usually demand that a claimant pursue a voucher (and prove such) before the insurer will consider reimbursing lost air fare.  In a sense folks are paying extra to insure their air fare when the insurer is very unlikely to pay off on that part of the insurance.  Granted that adding the airfare value to a policy is often not very expensive but it is the principle that drives some of us to drink.

Hank

Thanks, Hank. I’m finally beginning to realize there isn’t much chance of getting a cash refund for tickets the holder cancels regardless of insurance. One question remains, however, is it necessary to include the air fare in order to qualify for the pre-existing conditions waiver? One of the requirements is to insure all non-refundable expenses even though the insurance company is not likely to pay for cancelled air. The statement even says the waiver can be cancelled if it is discovered that not all expenses were insured.

The effect is to increase the amount insured, thus the premium as well. Maybe that is a way to offset some of the additional cost for covering pre-existing conditions which may also increase their risk.

We haven't faced this situation, but I could have sworn that I read someplace (and I do think it was somewhere on CC a few years ago) that IF one waited out the one year limit to use the credit/etc., *then* one could add to the claim for that amount,  The point is to avoid double-dipping.

Does anyone else remember anything like this?

You could call the insurer and ask if this is a process they allow.

GC

8 hours ago, Babr said:

Thanks, Hank. I’m finally beginning to realize there isn’t much chance of getting a cash refund for tickets the holder cancels regardless of insurance. One question remains, however, is it necessary to include the air fare in order to qualify for the pre-existing conditions waiver? One of the requirements is to insure all non-refundable expenses even though the insurance company is not likely to pay for cancelled air. The statement even says the waiver can be cancelled if it is discovered that not all expenses were insured.

The effect is to increase the amount insured, thus the premium as well. Maybe that is a way to offset some of the additional cost for covering pre-existing conditions which may also increase their risk.

I can only share that in Washington State, we don't need to insure all nonrefundable expenses to cover pre-existing conditions. Learned that one by consulting with Steve.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

we had two cruises on rccl booked in jan 2020 and due to covid  they were moved to jan 2022. then aug 1 2021 rccl cancels both cruises. we had insurance on both and wanted it refunded. what a nightmare- i first tried the travel agent and they push me off to insurance company directly. what a rude nasty lady saying the insurance is for you and partner not the cruise line. i reply yes but the CRUSIE LINE now cancelled both cruises so i have insurance polices with no boat to use them on. i did nothing wrong here .

then tried credit card company after two months of back and forth paper work and endless phone calls -they now say its too old to dispute since it was purchased in 2020 and you only have a year to dispute. really are you kidding.  so the power of the pen kicks in for me i send a scathing email to both the head of travel agency and credit card company. finally they give me the bull @@@@ line as a one time courtesy- NO - i paid for a service and you did not supply it.  finally got two checks from insurance company. never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!