Balcony locks and connecting rooms

soozles

Just booked our first RCI cruise on Anthrm of the Seas leaving in November! We ended up booking 2 connecting rooms with the idea of having our kids (2 and nearly 3 at the time of sailing) sleep in one room and we will be in the other. Figured we could use the space to stretch out, and whoever is staying behind after the kids are asleep can watch tv or something in the other room…

my older one tends to wander at night… do the balcony doors have some sort of a tall lock so they can’t open it easily? My kids are amazing escape artists and have figured out how to open every child lock and safety device we have ever bought. And is there something like a deadbolt that he wouldn’t be able to reach so that he doesn’t escape out the front door? 

can the balcony partitions be opened between our rooms so that we can have one larger balcony? And I’m also assuming that the door between the 2 rooms can also be kept open, so that if they need to come to our room at night they can, and we can go to them if needed. 

25 minutes ago, soozles said:

Just booked our first RCI cruise on Anthrm of the Seas leaving in November! We ended up booking 2 connecting rooms with the idea of having our kids (2 and nearly 3 at the time of sailing) sleep in one room and we will be in the other. Figured we could use the space to stretch out, and whoever is staying behind after the kids are asleep can watch tv or something in the other room…

my older one tends to wander at night… do the balcony doors have some sort of a tall lock so they can’t open it easily? My kids are amazing escape artists and have figured out how to open every child lock and safety device we have ever bought. And is there something like a deadbolt that he wouldn’t be able to reach so that he doesn’t escape out the front door? 

can the balcony partitions be opened between our rooms so that we can have one larger balcony? And I’m also assuming that the door between the 2 rooms can also be kept open, so that if they need to come to our room at night they can, and we can go to them if needed. 

there is a lock at the top of the balcony door

the balcony dividers can most likely be opened

the door between the 2 rooms can be kept open

• Like 1

To help ease your mind some more, in addition to the up-high child lock, the balcony doors are HEAVY -- some adults struggle to open them!  Unless your escape artists are over 5' tall and over 100 pounds, I really doubt they could manage to open even a completely unlocked balcony door!

The "front" door to the hallway is also on the heavy side, but you could always get a portable door alarm to use there, too, so you'd know if the door is opened. You could also bring a doorstop and wedge it in hard enough that the kids can't pull it back out again so the door won't open. (Warn your room attendant if you're going to do this, so they know to only enter/exit through your door.)  

The connecting door can be left open 24/7, that's no problem.  

And more than likely the balcony divider can be opened, but just be aware of the fact that it won't make "one huge balcony" but rather two separate balconies with a small walkway between them at the railing. The ship-side part of the divider is permanently attached, and that would block part of your view of the balcony that you're not on... which means an escape artist might be climbing on a chair/table without your knowledge.  Once you get on board and see it for yourself, you'll be able to judge whether it's safe to open the walkway portion of the divider, or if you want to just keep the kids on the same balcony as you at all times.  Once the divider is opened, it stays open for the whole cruise -- it's not like a door that you can open and close at will.  

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, brillohead said:

To help ease your mind some more, in addition to the up-high child lock, the balcony doors are HEAVY -- some adults struggle to open them!  Unless your escape artists are over 5' tall and over 100 pounds, I really doubt they could manage to open even a completely unlocked balcony door!

The "front" door to the hallway is also on the heavy side, but you could always get a portable door alarm to use there, too, so you'd know if the door is opened. You could also bring a doorstop and wedge it in hard enough that the kids can't pull it back out again so the door won't open. (Warn your room attendant if you're going to do this, so they know to only enter/exit through your door.)  

The connecting door can be left open 24/7, that's no problem.  

And more than likely the balcony divider can be opened, but just be aware of the fact that it won't make "one huge balcony" but rather two separate balconies with a small walkway between them at the railing. The ship-side part of the divider is permanently attached, and that would block part of your view of the balcony that you're not on... which means an escape artist might be climbing on a chair/table without your knowledge.  Once you get on board and see it for yourself, you'll be able to judge whether it's safe to open the walkway portion of the divider, or if you want to just keep the kids on the same balcony as you at all times.  Once the divider is opened, it stays open for the whole cruise -- it's not like a door that you can open and close at will.  

Thank you for these tips.  The connecting room is something we are considering for the first time ever and although the children are older your tips covered concerns I had.  A great help. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CG3H said:

Thank you for these tips.  The connecting room is something we are considering for the first time ever and although the children are older your tips covered concerns I had.  A great help. 

I've learned SO much from people on these boards (and I continue to learn more, even with my cruising experience to date), that I'm happy to be able to pay it forward and help someone else.  Thanks for letting me know it was useful info!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I've learned SO much from people on these boards (and I continue to learn more, even with my cruising experience to date), that I'm happy to be able to pay it forward and help someone else.  Thanks for letting me know it was useful info!

CruiseCritic is one of the best places for it. I've been here for awhile as well and I have been enjoying the time here each and every day. You learn so much not only concerning the cruises but also other fields which are connected or not even connected with cruising at all

• Like 1

@brilloheadThe door stopper suggestion is not going to work. The doors leading out from the cabins open out into the passageway unlike older ships prior to the Oasis class where they open inward. The stopper would have to be outside of the cabin in the hallway. This would be a fire safety issue and I'm sure not allowed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

@brilloheadThe door stopper suggestion is not going to work. The doors leading out from the cabins open out into the passageway unlike older ships prior to the Oasis class where they open inward. The stopper would have to be outside of the cabin in the hallway. This would be a fire safety issue and I'm sure not allowed.

Thanks for the info -- I haven't been on a Quantum class ship, so I didn't realize.  

But the door alarm, or even a child-lock (like a strap for a fridge) applied with Command Strips so it holds strongly but removes easily would work.  

(We have the child locks on our fridge and pantry doors because Dexter the black Lab likes to help himself to a free lunch!)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, brillohead said:

(We have the child locks on our fridge and pantry doors because Dexter the black Lab likes to help himself to a free lunch!)

Lolol😄 My Weimaraner pretty much had the run of the house. She could open doors with lever handles, kitchen cabinets, and could even let herself out of the house. She was quite a challenge... and the best dog I could have ever asked for.

@soozles don't be so sure this will work. We have a cruise coming up on Oasis of the Seas and booked (and paid more for) connecting rooms but when we asked for the connecting door to be unlocked we were told something along the lines of: due to COVID-19 protocols, they can't unlock the door between the 2 rooms.

Edited by keepcoolny
added ship name

2 minutes ago, keepcoolny said:

@soozles don't be so sure this will work. We have a cruise coming up and booked (and paid more for) connecting rooms but when we asked for the connecting door to be unlocked we were told something along the lines of: due to COVID-19 protocols, they can't unlock the door between the 2 rooms.

I would challenge this, going all the way to the hotel director and security director.  

11 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I would challenge this, going all the way to the hotel director and security director.  

I agree. Some families book connecting cabins so the kids can sleep in a separate, yet connecting cabin. The parents should be allowed to have quick, easy access to the kids' cabin.

1 hour ago, keepcoolny said:

@soozles don't be so sure this will work. We have a cruise coming up on Oasis of the Seas and booked (and paid more for) connecting rooms but when we asked for the connecting door to be unlocked we were told something along the lines of: due to COVID-19 protocols, they can't unlock the door between the 2 rooms.

That’s insane! Who did you talk to? How does unlocking the connecting door violate covid protocols? We booked the rooms at the same time, linked the reservations, so we will all be together, we’re all the same family! I wouldn’t even think of this being an issue, I haven’t found any mention of it on the site

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 8:03 AM, Ocean Boy said:

Lolol😄 My Weimaraner pretty much had the run of the house. She could open doors with lever handles, kitchen cabinets, and could even let herself out of the house. She was quite a challenge... and the best dog I could have ever asked for.

I know of one Akita that would open the bedroom door where the snacks were stored.  NOT a lever handle.

Get a biscuit for the Rottweiler and one for itself, THEN CLOSED THE DOOR.

• Haha 3