A New List of Cruises to be Cancelled???

taxmantoo

Here we go again ... According to two officials within the European Union, institutions have confirmed for Reuters that the EU Council will on Monday announce its decision to remove from the list of epidemiologically safe third countries a total of six countries, including the United States.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-to-reimpose-entry-ban-on-travellers-from-us-5-other-third-countries-on-monday-sources-say/?fbclid=IwAR3BMTc4hMMCNp_rLfT7Npghy7xXBGyVus8S7YNXs7scgg6hExyiAw7E7xQ

EU to Reimpose Entry Ban on Travellers From US & 5 Other Third Countries on Monday, Sources Say

Edited by taxmantoo

13 minutes ago, Minoushka said:

Yup just read that …there go cruises in Europe 

Err, NO!  Plenty of cruises in Europe happening and will continue to happen.  The entry ban will relate to NON Vaccinated only.  Vaccinated will continue to be permitted entry.

The important bit of text is 

The vaccine rates in Europe continue to climb.  Most countries are approaching or above 80%.  There is also the element of reciprocity which was not extended to Europeans wishing to travel to USA.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Err, NO!  Plenty of cruises in Europe happening and will continue to happen.  The entry ban will relate to NON Vaccinated only.  Vaccinated will continue to be permitted entry.

The important bit of text is 

The vaccine rates in Europe continue to climb.  Most countries are approaching or above 80%.  There is also the element of reciprocity which was not extended to Europeans wishing to travel to USA.

You  must not be reading the same article.  The article I posted a link to has absolutely nothing to do with vaccinated Americans or not.  It very clearly states " Due to the increase in the number of cases, SchengenVisaInfo.com had reported for days now that the entry ban on Americans travelling to the EU for non-essential purposes would be brought back." 

The link in post #1 has this important rider:

The removal from the list means that the Member States are advised to reimpose the entry ban on travellers from these countries so that the same are no longer eligible to enter restriction-free for non-essential purposes like tourism and business.

The restriction mentioned relates to vaccination status.  Currently non vaccinated can enter EU if they test negative.  The test option will be removed.

Sorry, forgot to paste it in my previous post.

The link in post #4 (also linked from the article linked in #1) is dated 9th August and relates to previous discussions by member states, which postponed a decision until the end of August.

My understanding is that the current discussion relates to Non Vaccinated only.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Minoushka said:

Yup just read that …there go cruises in Europe 

what happens to those booked , flight hotels etc …what a headache !!

will those ships head for North America without pax 

If you book non refundable hotels that is really a chance that you take.  I would never book a non refundable hotel.  I’m also booking all my air through hal.  The only other way I would book would be on refundable points.  It’s just too risky.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

The link in post #1 has this important rider:

The removal from the list means that the Member States are advised to reimpose the entry ban on travellers from these countries so that the same are no longer eligible to enter restriction-free for non-essential purposes like tourism and business.

The restriction mentioned relates to vaccination status.  Currently non vaccinated can enter EU if they test negative.  The test option will be removed.

Sorry, forgot to paste it in my previous post.

The link in post #4 (also linked from the article linked in #1) is dated 9th August and relates to previous discussions by member states, which postponed a decision until the end of August.

My understanding is that the current discussion relates to Non Vaccinated only.

Keep in mind that if the US is put on the restricted list that it is a recommendation.  It is then up to the countries to decide what they will require.  In the case of some the trend has been to put additional requirements on both vaccinated and unvaccinated though sometimes at different levels.  Vaccinated might also have to test for example, where as non-vaccinated might need to go through Quarantine.  Some countries such as those heavily dependent upon US tourism might not add any more requirements on vaccinated travelers.  It all is up to the country.

• Like 3

I hope it is just a coincidence that the white board marker I use for our cruise countdown on the fridge is almost dry with 56 days until we leave . . .or does it know something I don’t?  😉

Smooth Sailing!🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1

Unfortunately I don't believe it distinguishes between vaccinated or non-vaccinated.

But there is still hope!

As it states individual nations within the EU can still set their own policies. So tourism positive countries like Greece and Spain MAY decide to still allow American travellers. 

We'll just have to wait and see...

But as others have said, better make sure your flights and hotels are all refundable.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 1:12 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

If you book non refundable hotels that is really a chance that you take.  I would never book a non refundable hotel.  I’m also booking all my air through hal.  The only other way I would book would be on refundable points.  It’s just too risky.

100% why I never book non refundable anything. The savings are basically never worth it. Additionally on big trips (especially now) travel insurance is an absolute must. A medivac flight or medical care abroad can be financially devastating. With everything going on and the constant changes I would absolutely not travel without it unless it was a local trip within driving distance of home. 

• Like 1