Updated CDC guidance (Aug. 27, 2021) -- will pre-cruise testing requirements change?

Turtles06

3 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Well, if the poster thinks this is ‘technically’ a recommendation, don’t get tested prior and see what happens when you get through the Line to check in……..Kind of similar to the stores that have ‘Please wear a mask entering’ and the ‘Please’ is just a nice way of saying, “Put the Darn Mask On or We will Throw You Out!’. 

And I think it’s more than a bit obvious reading and listening to actual news for the last 6 months why testing for All is Required. But what the heck….I think most of us would appreciate it if someone who refuses to even get tested would cancel their cruise. 

Den

Dont be obtuse.

Testing of vaccinated passengers is a recommendation by the CDC, not a requirement for restricted sailings under the CSO.

Celebrity (and others) have made a choice to make it a requirement (through 10/1/21 as of now in Celebrity's case)

Edited by The_Mac

3 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Well, if the poster thinks this is ‘technically’ a recommendation, don’t get tested prior and see what happens when you get through the Line to check in……..Kind of similar to the stores that have ‘Please wear a mask entering’ and the ‘Please’ is just a nice way of saying, “Put the Darn Mask On or We will Throw You Out!’. 

And I think it’s more than a bit obvious reading and listening to actual news for the last 6 months why testing for All is Required. But what the heck….I think most of us would appreciate it if someone who refuses to even get tested would cancel their cruise. 

Den

It is a recommendation from the CDC.  It is a requirement to test from the cruise line.  Making it 2 days instead of 3 days eliminates the use of the PCR test which is much more readily available and more accurate.

• Like 1

I guess when I cruise on the CDC Line, I can then worry about CDC recommendation not being a requirement, but since I’m cruising on Celebrity plus other Lines, I’ll focus on their Requirements ……and by the way, I’m not Obtuse, I’m Acute!! 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

I guess when I cruise on the CDC Line, I can then worry about CDC recommendation not being a requirement, but since I’m cruising on Celebrity plus other Lines, I’ll focus on their Requirements ……and by the way, I’m not Obtuse, I’m Acute!! 

Den

So what's your angle in all OF this, anyway?!?

Edited by canderson
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

So what's your angle in all OF this, anyway?!?

Being Acute, I’ll stick with making less than 90deg turns in all of this and just make itty bitty twists and turns!! I’ll Now drop the dumb math references…..

I have a Thanksgiving cruise, and plan to get my booster shortly, then sometime after 5 Nov, when I quit teaching adult classes with a dozen or so attending, I’ll get a COVID test to see that I’m clean. After that, I’ll limit my exposure, wearing a mask and staying out of larger groups and so on, and test when I’m required prior to boarding and off we go! 

For this cruise, my wife and daughter and I will drive down and stay away from most; stay the night prior in Palm Beach to not get hit by the FLL jump in hotel prices Fridays prior to departures, and get on board for what we hope is a great time on the Apex. 

I booked a number of ship tours, 3 of them, but got the word from Celebrity that 2 of them are canceled, I assume by the tour company, so it looks as if we will just enjoy the port if we can wander around a bit, or enjoy the ship, which is the point of the cruise, not the itinerary.

All enjoy and stay safe.

den

• Like 1

At least as of 8 September they're going to start to provide the proctored Binax-Now test by mail if you want to purchase them through RCCL.  Trouble is, they'll only ship within the U.S. according to the new FAQ.  Guess Canadians and others will have to come up with something comparable locally.  No price listed, though.  The BinaxNow has become very popular and some places don't have any in stock.  RCCL may turn out to be one of the more reliable sources, but we'll have to wait and see how that goes.

Check new info here

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

Under the What Type of COVID-19 Tests are Accepted? section

I checked a few of the at-home tests and the one’s available in a non-big city appear to require to be mailed back and it take’s 2 days to get results, so not sure for many of us at-home suffices for this for a Celebrity 2-day prior. 

Am I missing something?

den

2 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I checked a few of the at-home tests and the one’s available in a non-big city appear to require to be mailed back and it take’s 2 days to get results, so not sure for many of us at-home suffices for this for a Celebrity 2-day prior. 

Am I missing something?

den

Yep.  You don't send the test anywhere.  You get the results in 15 minutes.  The test is monitored on-line by a representative who will read the results and send you an e-mail within minutes.  You order the tests and they are sent to you.  You can live anywhere in the US that Fed Ex delivers.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools

57 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Am I missing something?

den

Yes, you are totally missing it.  The in-home test that Celebrity accepts is the proctored Abbott BinaxNow Ag Card test; you can get it on eMed.   Lots of discussion here on CC about it.  You don't send it anywhere, an observer watches you do the test via video.

https://www.emed.com/

On 8/30/2021 at 2:08 PM, 39august said:

Good grief! It is difficult enough to get a test 3 days before the sail date when we are flying in the day before the cruise.  But 2 days makes this very stressful.  Has X actually said anything officially?

I just made a reservation on the Reflection for this November & was told by the Celebrity Rep that we would require testing 2 days prior to the sailing.   We were on the Edge 2 weeks ago, and it was 3 days prior.  So it has changed.  

On 9/3/2021 at 4:02 PM, Denny01 said:

Being Acute, I’ll stick with making less than 90deg turns in all of this and just make itty bitty twists and turns!! I’ll Now drop the dumb math references…..

I have a Thanksgiving cruise, and plan to get my booster shortly, then sometime after 5 Nov, when I quit teaching adult classes with a dozen or so attending, I’ll get a COVID test to see that I’m clean. After that, I’ll limit my exposure, wearing a mask and staying out of larger groups and so on, and test when I’m required prior to boarding and off we go! 

For this cruise, my wife and daughter and I will drive down and stay away from most; stay the night prior in Palm Beach to not get hit by the FLL jump in hotel prices Fridays prior to departures, and get on board for what we hope is a great time on the Apex. 

I booked a number of ship tours, 3 of them, but got the word from Celebrity that 2 of them are canceled, I assume by the tour company, so it looks as if we will just enjoy the port if we can wander around a bit, or enjoy the ship, which is the point of the cruise, not the itinerary.

All enjoy and stay safe.

den

In Palm Beach The Breakers hotel is lovely.

• Like 1