Passport Renewal

forgap

2 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

We had to wait almost two years to get a mid-five figure income tax refund back -

https://www.census.gov/library/publications/2021/demo/p60-273.html

That is a long time to wait for a refund! Even if the refund is significantly more than the average annual income here.

The number of IRS employees has been significantly reduced over the last 10 years, but is now increasing in the current administration. I hope your refund will arrive sooner in the future. 

https://www.irs.gov/statistics/irs-budget-and-workforce

Edited by Pudgesmom

10 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Ten weeks and counting for "expedited" passport service? No one answering phones?  But you can bet they are getting full salary plus their scheduled big annual inflation-related COLA ( the biggest since the 1970's), and full civil service benefits.  Perhaps workers were fired for not being immunized?  I'm pretty sure they are not all  dead of Covid, and almost all are still "working" at home.

We had to wait almost two years to get a mid-five figure income tax refund back -- and it came without  any interest, of course, after hours of phone torture and confusion,  in a year the market index was earning 40%.  We are getting banana republic service from almost every government agency lately ( and it's not much better with the big phone and internet services, not to mention pseudo-private health care).  Mortuaries do answer the phone in person, however.

I will shortly be in the same dilemma you are, with a passport expiring five months after a SB cruise is supposed to start.  

Just order a 2nd passport now - you are allowed to have two.

27 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Just order a 2nd passport now - you are allowed to have two.

But second passport applications need to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the State Department, do they not?  I don't see how that would be processed any quicker than a renewal.

But yes, I believe under normal circumstances you can hold a second passport if you're a frequent traveler or have another valid need.  A lot of people on this board would probably qualify as 'frequent travelers'.  🙂

• Like 1

Just now, UUNetBill said:

But second passport applications need to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the State Department, do they not?  I don't see how that would be processed any quicker than a renewal.

But yes, I believe under normal circumstances you can hold a second passport if you're a frequent traveler or have another valid need.  A lot of people on this board would probably qualify as 'frequent travelers'.  🙂

In my experience, they give them to anyone. Just stagger the applications and you always have one.

1 minute ago, Pcardad said:

In my experience, they give them to anyone. Just stagger the applications and you always have one.

Well, unfortunately I don't travel internationally enough to worry about it - once or twice a year, max.  Years ago I used to have my gubmint passport as well as ole blue, but those days are way behind me as well.

PS - if I recall, secondary passports are only valid for 1-4 years as opposed to 10 on the primary passport.  Still might be worth it if you travel a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my final (promised) Update on DW's own "passport predicament"..."Miracle of Miracles".... at about 10AM this morning... a UPS truck pulled up in front of our house, the driver jumped out, rang our doorbell, and left the much-awaited envelope containing DW's brand new Passport on our doorstep!  The "heavens opened up and we heard a chorus of angels singing"!!!

After 8 long and agonizing weeks of waiting for "Expedited Handling",  the Passport Office finally "came through", with only 7 days to spare before our scheduled flight to Miami (to board the Mariner).  So we've now beginning packing suitcases in earnest and are "getting excited" about our upcoming cruise in one week!  Thanks to all of you who were keeping their fingers crossed for us!  best Regards to all.  We'll be providing periodic reports on our 18-day Panama Canal adventure.

• Like 8

Just saw what looks like great news on the Passport renewal front.  Appears the Government is going to an online passport renewal process that should allow everything to happen online before the agence has to send you your new passport.  No mailing in, no sending checks, etc.

Appears will start on a limited basis this month with full implementation shortly.  Let's hope it actually works especially after all of the computer issues that plague the federal government.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On a related subject, I got an email from Global Entry saying my membership would expire in six months and I should get a head start on renewing since delays could be so long that they extended the expiration date a year for people who put in renewal applications.

I got scared, went on line and renewed right away. Four days later my new card arrived in the mail.

If your Global Entry expires within six months, this is a great time to renew.

9 hours ago, giustot said:

On a related subject, I got an email from Global Entry saying my membership would expire in six months and I should get a head start on renewing since delays could be so long that they extended the expiration date a year for people who put in renewal applications.

I got scared, went on line and renewed right away. Four days later my new card arrived in the mail.

If your Global Entry expires within six months, this is a great time to renew.

Yessir!  Same thing just happened for me, too!  I re-applied for a new GE card, thinking it would take months... and 4 days later....a new card arrived in the mail (they just re-used the same digital picture they had on file for me from before).  Every now and then, you actually get a "nice surprise" from the government!   🤣  Just don't get too used to it!!

• Like 1