EU reimposes restrictions on US

clairol

I guess we will see what this means in the coming weeks since the countries can do their own restricting . One “out” of course, all Oceania passengers will be vaccinated and many I am sure will have had Boosters and the ability to prove ir.  🙏😷🤞

Gerry

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tidalmist said:

As a Canadian we won’t be banned, but the question remains, will the Marina sail without Americans? She is scheduled to do a transatlantic in late November! From the US then on to South America.

Absolutely not!!She will not sail without Americans..

Jancruz1

I hope the current Marina sailing underway isn't the only one Oceania is going to accomplish. With their European cruises touching on multiple countries, this could get tricky.

As regards TATL sailings, if O really wants to get a ship to the US for the winter they may have to sail empty. This is what Windstar is having to do with the Star Breeze. She was scheduled to take passengers from Costa Rica to Tahiti but will sail empty now. If Americans can't enter Europe to embark a TATL cruise, and Europeans are not allowed into the US, Marina and Riviera could be empty as they cross the Atlantic.

2 hours ago, CruiseLibra said:

The Bloomberg article posted above also mentions it will most likely affect the unvaccinated. Let's hope that's the case!

• Like 1

This topic just came up at the afternoon's White House Press Conference and it was mentioned that the EU recommendation only impacts on the unvaccinated.  Guess we shall have to wait and see but the truth is that the unvaccinated have already been very limited on where they can travel.  In our own case we have 3 cruises (14, 14 and 18 day) booked this year (we recently took that first cruise in Greece) and all of those cruises (with 2 different cruise lines) have mandatory vaccination requirements.

Hank

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Belfastman said:

If she doesn't sail what happens - simply lay up in Europe for the winter?

The issue of a ship having to sail without pax for 14 days before it can access a US port applies only to vessels that do not have a US homeport. I am not exactly sure what “homeport” means, however I doubt very much that it applies to any of the Oceania vessels.
Perhaps someone who understands this concept better than me can explain it to us.

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

The issue of a ship having to sail without pax for 14 days before it can access a US port applies only to vessels that do not have a US homeport. I am not exactly sure what “homeport” means, however I doubt very much that it applies to any of the Oceania vessels.
Perhaps someone who understands this concept better than me can explain it to us.

This is not the problem. If Americans cannot fly to Europe to board the ships for the TATL sailings and Europeans can't enter the US at Miami, then there would be no one on the ships.

The New York Times has another story that pretty adamantly states the new restrictions should NOT affect vaccinated Americans: https://www.nytimes.com/article/eu-us-travel-restrictions.html

from the article:

How does this affect vaccinated travelers?

If you are fully vaccinated with an E.U.-approved vaccine, which include those manufactured by Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson, the requirements you face entering a E.U. country should not change.

Edited by SEASwim
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SEASwim said:

The New York Times has another story that pretty adamantly states the new restrictions should NOT affect vaccinated Americans: https://www.nytimes.com/article/eu-us-travel-restrictions.html

from the article:

How does this affect vaccinated travelers?

If you are fully vaccinated with an E.U.-approved vaccine, which include those manufactured by Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson, the requirements you face entering a E.U. country should not change.

Should being the key word...

3 hours ago, SEASwim said:

1 hour ago, nikless said:

Should being the key word...

Perfect example of 'glass half full' vs. 'glass half empty' view of the world...

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 12:02 PM, susiesan said:

I hope the current Marina sailing underway isn't the only one Oceania is going to accomplish. With their European cruises touching on multiple countries, this could get tricky.

As regards TATL sailings, if O really wants to get a ship to the US for the winter they may have to sail empty. This is what Windstar is having to do with the Star Breeze. She was scheduled to take passengers from Costa Rica to Tahiti but will sail empty now. If Americans can't enter Europe to embark a TATL cruise, and Europeans are not allowed into the US, Marina and Riviera could be empty as they cross the Atlantic.

Susiesan, my post # 13 is in response to your post quoted here. 

On 8/30/2021 at 12:04 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'll be checking my bookings for possible upgrades – because nervous people will be cancelling today before anybody knows what this announcement will really mean.

Yes!!  I did that the other day and was able to move up to an Oceania Suite!

• Like 3

We are on the 9/8 sailing. We are in concierge and we were offered an upgrade to PH for $750 per person. I had a friend leave on an Alaskan cruise today on a different cruise line. During embarkation they were given a complimentary upgrade from an interior to an aft balcony. Just saying.....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Perfect example of 'glass half full' vs. 'glass half empty' view of the world...

this glass-half-empty person just saw that vaccinated folks need a negative result within 72 hours of arrival in Italy...we still have 2 months before we fly, so the glass-half-full side of me hopes that restrictions will be modified by then....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nikless said:

this glass-half-empty person just saw that vaccinated folks need a negative result within 72 hours of arrival in Italy...we still have 2 months before we fly, so the glass-half-full side of me hopes that restrictions will be modified by then....

Since we went over a week early , we had to:

1. Have a test 72 hours before we boarded the plane.

2. Have another test 72 hours before we boarded the ship.

3. Have another test 72 hours before we flew back to the US.

None of these were difficult things to accomplish. We also were required another test about half way through the cruise along with daily temperature checks before leaving the ship and reboarding.

Never felt so safe in my life! 🤗

• Like 5

8 hours ago, courtside said:

We are on the 9/8 sailing. We are in concierge and we were offered an upgrade to PH for $750 per person. I had a friend leave on an Alaskan cruise today on a different cruise line. During embarkation they were given a complimentary upgrade from an interior to an aft balcony. Just saying.....

Could I ask, how did that happen and when (how far in advance of the cruise date)?  Did O contact you about this offer, or contact your TA?  Or did you initiate the discussion about upgrading?

Tom & Judy

31 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Since we went over a week early , we had to:

1. Have a test 72 hours before we boarded the plane.

2. Have another test 72 hours before we boarded the ship.

3. Have another test 72 hours before we flew back to the US.

None of these were difficult things to accomplish. We also were required another test about half way through the cruise along with daily temperature checks before leaving the ship and reboarding.

Never felt so safe in my life! 🤗

I don't have a problem with the protocol.

I had a friend whose daughter moved to Germany (on business) earlier in the year.  She lived out west. With connections and delays, by the time she was ready to board her international leg, her results from the test in her home town would have been outside the limits imposed by Germany.  So she tested again in Atlanta before the international leg. Came out positive.  She consulted a doctor but needed to quarantine for 5 days, get retested (negative this time) then get a letter from the doctor stating that she had fully recovered.

Luckily we  have only one connection, in Frankfurt, before moving on to Italy.  We will have to get tested the day before we fly out and hope results are in before we board 24 hours later.  No guarantees...

Timing....

Just saying