Any Upgrade Bids Accepted Recently?

rad798

20 minutes ago, ChC said:

Remember this, when NCL says it is a 'good' bid, it really means NCL is so happy for someone with charitable attitude to open his/her wallet without second thought. It does not mean it is a 'good' bid to win the bidding from passenger's perspective. It is like NCL will say to you 'Good boy' after you submitted the 'good' bid. 

A 'fair' bid to NCL is always an acceptable bid where NCL can feel comfortable and even make more than then expected revenue wise. 

A 'weak' bid is the absolute minimum NCL can accept just for the sake of revenue growth.

So in 'fairness', 'Fair' bid is always good for ... being 'fair' and have a 'fair' chance to win the bid, unless there are too many hot heads decide to be a 'good' customer in NCL's book. A 'weak' bid will depends on how many other bidders VS how many open cabins, and also depends on how desperate NCL is in order to increase the revenue for the quarterly result.

Yikes, ok… the reason I put in a higher bid that ended up in the “good” category is that I was hearing about the typical strategy of low bidding left some people without the cabin they were looking for.  Also, given that I pretty much would need the category of cabin I bid on to reasonably assure a comfortable cruise, I was willing to put up a bit more - I guess you see me as the sucker born every minute, but I have my reasons 🙂  Although at this point the guarantee of the added space of a Club Balcony Suite might be worth pushing even more cash in Norwegian’s pockets, rendering this exercise moot 😅

29 minutes ago, Sydneyberlin said:

I’d also be VERY keen to hear. We’re currently bidding for a space in the Haven on a cruise that looks everything but sold out so plenty of Haven suites still available. Just wondering if I should put the highest but only on our preferred rooms or just on everything… Any recent experiences would be greatly appreciated!

I have won 2 haven bids before and never bid higher then the lowest possible fair bid 

14 hours ago, 3OfDiamonds said:

If my bid gets a “Good” rating per the color dial on the page where I enter my bid, about how likely is it to win?  Has anybody had a “Good” bid lose out recently?  It seems like quite a few people win with “Fair” or lower bids but maybe this year is a different case?

The way the system is setup you have poor good excellent ratings on each and ever sailing that you bid on BUT not all cruises are the same it’s all based on availability on that particular sailing.  Example, you cannot compare an early December non peak sailing with say an Easter or spring break cruise because one is not nearly as booked or popular as the other.  Upgrade advantage will let you bid no matter what even if there are zero cabins available on your sailing because not only is upgraded advantage used to upgrade people on sailings it also provides very valuable data algorithms to NCL for future bidding and pricing future cruise.  So the first thing you need to do is check inventory and then adjust bids accordingly, I’ve won 5 bids out of 7 the only 2 I didn’t win were upgrading from balcony to haven,which in both cases the haven was sold out months in advance yes of course it gave me options to bid which I did but I knew I was just “feeding algorithm data to the system for future cruises” since the possibility of winning the haven was slim to none

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nclgetawaymenhoney said:

The way the system is setup you have poor good excellent ratings on each and ever sailing that you bid on BUT not all cruises are the same it’s all based on availability on that particular sailing.  Example, you cannot compare an early December non peak sailing with say an Easter or spring break cruise because one is not nearly as booked or popular as the other.  Upgrade advantage will let you bid no matter what even if there are zero cabins available on your sailing because not only is upgraded advantage used to upgrade people on sailings it also provides very valuable data algorithms to NCL for future bidding and pricing future cruise.  So the first thing you need to do is check inventory and then adjust bids accordingly, I’ve won 5 bids out of 7 the only 2 I didn’t win were upgrading from balcony to haven,which in both cases the haven was sold out months in advance yes of course it gave me options to bid which I did but I knew I was just “feeding algorithm data to the system for future cruises” since the possibility of winning the haven was slim to none

I had a deal offered to me last year that was so good I maxed out my bid, thinking it was a sure thing. Still didn't win, assuming because they didn't have the inventory for that category the time we sailed. 

Just now, psuboater said:

I had a deal offered to me last year that was so good I maxed out my bid, thinking it was a sure thing. Still didn't win, assuming because they didn't have the inventory for that category the time we sailed. 

Yes that is what they want it’s so so important to Check inventory and not over bid because all that dat effects each and ever cruise.  Happy sailing!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nclgetawaymenhoney said:

Yes that is what they want it’s so so important to Check inventory and not over bid because all that dat effects each and ever cruise.  Happy sailing!

Yup, that's why I have 5 "poor" bids in for Sunday's cruise on the Joy. Honestly, happy with the cabin we have and splurged on Vibe, more specialty dining, and the premium drink package, so we'll live the Haven-lite life 😄

Yea- we’ll be super comfortable with our Club balcony mini-“suite”. But at the same time, we’d really LOVE to try the Haven, especially as it’s a long-ish cruise. Paying outright for the upgrade is (at this time, two months before at least) ridiculous expensive while even the max bids are still way lower than that.

So from that perspective, it makes total sense to us to put high bids on as that’s still about a third of what a full upgrade would cost. I’ve also chatted to my NCL cruise advisor and she will keep monitoring for prices but wasn’t very confident that they could come down enough to make the direct upgrade more feasible. At least 15 suites in the Haven still showing as available and have so for the past months.

How late can i put a bid in?  I'm in a studio and have a poor bid in for a spa balcony and a low fair bid in for a regular balcony.   I'm thinking if I don't win either of those say two days prior to departure, I could bid on oceanview with a stronger bid and maybe upgrade to that?  I'm happy in the studio, but if there is a cheaper option to get more room that would be ok.   Our ship (Prima April 16 NYC - Bermuda) appears to have lots of the balcony and below rooms available (still 15 studio rooms open), so wondering if they don't move people up if there is still lots of room in their current room type?

3 hours ago, skatie said:

How late can i put a bid in?  I'm in a studio and have a poor bid in for a spa balcony and a low fair bid in for a regular balcony.   I'm thinking if I don't win either of those say two days prior to departure, I could bid on oceanview with a stronger bid and maybe upgrade to that?  I'm happy in the studio, but if there is a cheaper option to get more room that would be ok.   Our ship (Prima April 16 NYC - Bermuda) appears to have lots of the balcony and below rooms available (still 15 studio rooms open), so wondering if they don't move people up if there is still lots of room in their current room type?

Bid up till they don't accept anymore.

Keep in mind your bid is double what you bid.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cruiseat50 said:

Wasn't really asking for myself but just wondering as I take hubby along.😉  That doesn't seem right to me but... 

the cruise line will charge double because it’s a rate based on double occupancy and what they would get anyway. 

• Like 1

Just put an upgrade in for balcony or club balcony from our Oceanview, for the April 2 transatlantic from Lisbon.  We are 44 days out, and there looks to be about 200 empty cabins, so thinking we might hear sooner rather than later.  Any thoughts?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Camlaura said:

Just put an upgrade in for balcony or club balcony from our Oceanview, for the April 2 transatlantic from Lisbon.  We are 44 days out, and there looks to be about 200 empty cabins, so thinking we might hear sooner rather than later.  Any thoughts?

Enjoy your balcony 😁

I think sooner, but keep an eye on price. At 29 days they could lower it and you might be able to just buy it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Enjoy your balcony 😁

I think sooner, but keep an eye on price. At 29 days they could lower it and you might be able to just buy it.

I like the way you think lol, but I don’t think it is ever that easy.  I put in low bids for both, so it might take a miracle, but here is hoping!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Enjoy your balcony 😁

We had a price drop on 3/21/23 cruise on Jade, and I called customer service and moved from ocean view to balcony for 320. We had bid in for 175 pp so we got moved and saved 30. Just had to go back and cancel our upgrade bids. We even got to pick our cabin from what was available.

• Like 2