Panorama Lido buffet horrible as expected

tallnthensome

36 minutes ago, CruisefunSAN said:

Gelato station only opens from 12:00~2:30PM every day, it is located in the front portion (next to deli?) of the buffet area.

On Panorama there were basically 2 buffet areas separated by a galley area, one near the mid-ship elevators and one closer to the aft elevators. You are correct that the gelato station was in the front portion (more mid-ship), however the deli is in the back (more aft) portion. They do seem to rotate through a few different flavors, so check back daily. 

4 hours ago, Embem said:

Main Dining Room (if you can get "your time" dining) is open until around 9.

Plus there's always pizza 😉 

So I guess we found the answer to your earlier question about why anybody would eat at the buffet when there is Guys, Blue Iquana, etc to eat.

Because they wouldn't be open when I like to eat. We don't eat in the dining room too many nights on our cruises as it just takes too long and don't like to eat that early.

I'm wondering how much Royal and Princess' buffets have gone downhill?

At the prices they are charging all cruiselines must be cutting back where ever possible.

6 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

So I guess we found the answer to your earlier question about why anybody would eat at the buffet when there is Guys, Blue Iquana, etc to eat.

Because they wouldn't be open when I like to eat. We don't eat in the dining room too many nights on our cruises as it just takes too long and don't like to eat that early.

I'm wondering how much Royal and Princess' buffets have gone downhill?

At the prices they are charging all cruiselines must be cutting back where ever possible.

You really eat dinner after 8:45pm? I don't believe the buffet is open after that time, either.

On 8/31/2021 at 3:44 PM, tallnthensome said:

Well, as expected it's horrible and I mean horrible...... I've sailed Carnival before .... and NCL, MSC, Holland, Princess, and Royal. I've thought my Vista experience a few years ago was bad but this buffet is laughable. Imagine having this huge seating area on the Panorama and like 8 nasty dishes to choose from .... like Chili Mac, some rice, some pasta, some slads etc ..... 2 of the four center stations have no food at all, zilch,, and the two that are being used are the exact 8 awful lunch  items. This is the same for breakfast. They do have a carving for station for lunch which is acceptable ...... Just can't figure out why Carnival offers far and wide the worst and most awful Lido food of any cruise line ..... it's like staring at my old high school cafeteria again with that look of "good god, really?". They have a sandwich station which made me a meatball sandwich which equally sucked . MDR, Jijis,  and Pig and Anchor has been good but as an opinionated post and an FYI thr Lido buffet for breakfast and especially lunch had been a monumental disappointment.

Curious, did you mention this to Carnival?  If so, what was their response?

1 hour ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

Curious, did you mention this to Carnival?  If so, what was their response?

I did in my survey. I knocked them on the buffet, embarkation, and allowing people to wonder the buffet maskless without taking action. Gave them high marks for just about everything else and my survey was 100% honest. Haven't heard anything and don't expect to. 

We just sailed on Princess, first time, the end of August. We have sailed many times on Carnival. I was disappointed with the food all around on Princess compared to our pre-Covid Carnival cruises (especially desserts). But, I gave them a little leeway because of the current situation (and they did have unlimited bacon every morning!).

I think, maybe, all cruise lines are having problems with food service.

We'll be on the Mardi Gras in a few weeks and I'm really curious to see how the buffet looks for lunch and dinner.  

We likely won't have to eat there much.  The "free" (included) lunch options are bountiful -- even for Carnival -- and the additional 3 "free" dinner options (Cucina, ChiBang and Guy's Smokehouse/Brewhouse) will be competing with the MDR -- which is too small to accommodate all of us YTD folks anyway. 

My last cruise pre-COVID was on a Royal Caribbean Freedom-class ship, and I was startled to see how wretched the buffet was, and how slim the included dining options were, especially at night.  They might have "downgraded" the offerings since it was a full-ship charter, but the hamburgers on the buffet were the worst I've had since my college cafeteria.  Seriously, they tasted FAR from being 100% beef, or close to it.    😮  

On 9/14/2021 at 3:25 PM, tallnthensome said:

allowing people to wonder the buffet

I don't concern myself with what people wonder about on their cruises. Thanks for your take on the lido buffet on Panorama.

Edited by AHS123
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2021 at 8:24 AM, CruisefunSAN said:

Gelato station only opens from 12:00~2:30PM every day

On Panorama in February 2020 the gelato station was open only on sea days. If they're going to be open every day that's even better. It's so creamy and dense.

39 minutes ago, AHS123 said:

I don't concern myself with what people wonder about on their cruises. Thanks for your take on the lido buffet on Panorama.

I wonder if you know she meant wander through the buffet line? Maskless.

Add: I wonder which ships have gelato? That would be a welcome addition for me.

Edited by mondello
Add

59 minutes ago, mondello said:

I wonder if you know she meant wander through the buffet line? Maskless.

Add: I wonder which ships have gelato? That would be a welcome addition for me.

Apparently that was too hard to figure out that I made a typo on an iPhone . 🙄

• Like 2

if i can remember correctly carnival used to duplicate what was in the mdr with what is on the buffet for dinner...for the most part, or at least for the entrees. is that still the case?

if that is the case i assume if you dont like any of the selections on the dinner buffet then you might as well stay out of the mdr too.