CVS, then Walgreens Cancels - 3 days out.

WeatherFx

2 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

Yeah, I just can't see anyone being able to get it done in that short a time frame unless they do the Home Proctored test.

I just read that Carnival is working on setting up testing sites (for a fee) at the ports  I was fortunate to be able to get mine right at my health care provider's office.  Sat there for 15 minutes and left with my results.

Edited by molly361
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I just read that Carnival is working on setting up testing sites (for a fee) at the ports  I was fortunate to be able to get mine right at my health care provider's office.  Sat there for 15 minutes and left with my results.

Apparently there is a company out of Orlando that just started setting up in Port Canaveral Parking lot without any invitation but is doing a brisk business.  I was able to get the URL off of the van in vlog post by La Lido Loca.  http://www.covidtestingllc.com.

Edited by mauraoel
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, The sea calls my name said:

Did your insurance cover it? 

I had to enter insurance info into the questionnaire while making the online appt, but I never saw a charge and wasn’t questioned. We just had our drive through test at Walmart, and it was exactly the same process. 

29 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

Apparently there is a company out of Orlando that just started setting up in Port Canaveral Parking lot without any invitation but is doing a brisk business.  I was able to get the URL off of the van in vlog post by La Lido Loca.  http://www.covidtestingllc.com.

That’s great for folks flying in, but it’s gonna cost $$ for the convenience. 

Just now, mauraoel said:

Yeah that is why we aren't considering an option with 7 of us.

We feel very lucky that there are a number of free options in our area. If it was canceled (which I’ve had happen twice through Walgreens)we also had a backup. There’s a free clinic downtown, but with a room full of people, I prefer the social distancing of drive through. 

15 hours ago, mauraoel said:

It's not really a short shelf life it's more they are getting rid of the stock they have had since the beginning of the year.  I think once they get rid of all the older stock people will start receiving product with a longer shelf life.

Shelf life = expiration date.  You’re saying there is a difference?  A poster above that you responded to has illustrated the challenge with ordering in advance and getting stuck with product she can’t use. That was my question and remains my question.  Not sure how anyone will know whether they are receiving “old” or “new”stock.  Therein lies the question. 

Edited by SheSailsFL

54 minutes ago, SheSailsFL said:

Shelf life = expiration date.  You’re saying there is a difference?  A poster above that you responded to has illustrated the challenge with ordering in advance and getting stuck with product she can’t use. That was my question and remains my question.  Not sure how anyone will know whether they are receiving “old” or “new”stock.  Therein lies the question. 

According to the letter from the FDA that is linked to eMed's FAQ page, It looks like it's now good for one year from the date of manufacture.  Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting this.  I assume all test kits are good for one year, or does that only apply to kits manufactured after April 6?  And hopefully all kits being shipped now are not from stock made prior to that. 

This is from eMed's website:

eMed | Contact Us & FAQ

WHEN DOES MY TEST EXPIRE?WHEN DOES MY TEST EXPIRE?

Shelf life has been extended for the BinaxNOW Home Test, please review the letter issued by the FDA here for more information: https://eMed.com/FDA

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SheSailsFL said:

I do interpret differently, yes everyone is receiving a short shelf life even when you get food you don't buy a gallon of milk that is going to expire in the next day or two.  Right now when receiving these boxes people are getting them with in a month and a half of their original expiration date adding three months doesn't really help.  For this type of item that is a a very short shelf life.  It has already been established that the Stock is running out (there is a link to a cnn article on this I am not going to go find it)  Abbott is ramping up production and will be restocking soon.  After the restock people are going to receive product that won't expire for almost a year (I think that that's a darn good shelf life).  Buying right now for a January or February cruise is the issue they are not that hard to order and they aren't going to go away if they don't order them right now so don't.

All I am saying is if you don't have a cruise in the next few weeks to a month don't order them.  The extra stock I do have will get me through to my next cruise in January but only because I got a set that has an middle of the month expiration date unlike most today.

On 9/1/2021 at 6:32 AM, WeatherFx said:

We are scheduled out of Nassau this Saturday 09-03-2021. Originally scheduled antigen test with CVS, hour away was the closest, CVS cancelled last Thursday. Rescheduled with local Walgreens for this morning- Walgreens you can only schedule three days in advance. 8:30pm last night we get text messages that our appointments are cancelled at Walgreens - sorry for inconvenience. Spent all night trying to find alternatives. No appointments available at all local urgent-cares until Saturday. The only place that we can find to get an antigen test is at PHL international airport in the next state. Fine, we'll drive there. How do you know if RCL accepts the antigen test from the airport? Jefferson Health has partnered with Rapid Reliable Testing at PHL. They don't specify what antigen test they are giving.

Had the same experience with Walgreens!  Was able to find a free state sponsored test site and got in same day. As long as it’s a credible lab they will take results.  

On 9/2/2021 at 9:41 AM, Iamcruzin said:

Well that's a damn shame that they have a special site and nobody shows up to work.  I wish I could get away with not opening the store. We have floating pharmacists who can open pharmacy if someone is sick. The clinics should have the same.  I know there is the one off  last minute emergency but I gather from what you posted that it happens quite often unless I misinterpreted. 

I know and I agree.

With all the stress of finding an appointment and the place doing that business has a failure because  1 person won't open or perhaps sometimes they run out of supplies.

Well dang as CVS posts appointments, they need to have tucked away the inventory for that day.  Otherwise do not post appointments.  

I am glad I have two urgent cares near me even though I have to pay but I can get tested.

Now we have to keep fingers crossed that RCI doesn't convert to 2 day testing rule. If they do they need to move the cancel with confidence to now 24 hours.  

After a 1 1/2 yrs of all this virus stuff, I would have thought by now things would have been better and without politics and stress.   

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

According to the letter from the FDA that is linked to eMed's FAQ page, It looks like it's now good for one year from the date of manufacture.  Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting this.  I assume all test kits are good for one year, or does that only apply to kits manufactured after April 6?  And hopefully all kits being shipped now are not from stock made prior to that. 

This is from eMed's website:

eMed | Contact Us & FAQ

WHEN DOES MY TEST EXPIRE?WHEN DOES MY TEST EXPIRE?

Shelf life has been extended for the BinaxNOW Home Test, please review the letter issued by the FDA here for more information: https://eMed.com/FDA

This is the letter Abbott sent emed about the expiration date. You can find your lot number and then it will tell you the expiration date for your test:

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

• Like 1

BinaxNOW has an expiration date, but depending on when you get the kit, and how long your supplier has had it, you will have kits that can be used for 4-12 months.  That's one of the reasons (maybe I'm wrong) that I advocate ordering through the emed.com app, Navica.  I'm thinking their stock might have longer shelf lives (e.g. longer time period before the expiration date).

Worst case, IMO, is you have to throw some of them away, since you get 6 test kits for $150.  But, if you made an appointment, drove over to a rapid testing site, took your chances that they don't cancel, you would pay $139-ish for ONE test.  So, I'm thinking the emed.com online appointment at home is the better deal, even if you can only use 1 test kit.  

Since I have cruises booked every month from Jan-May, the 6-pack works well for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mauraoel said:

I do interpret differently, yes everyone is receiving a short shelf life even when you get food you don't buy a gallon of milk that is going to expire in the next day or two.  Right now when receiving these boxes people are getting them with in a month and a half of their original expiration date adding three months doesn't really help.  For this type of item that is a a very short shelf life.  It has already been established that the Stock is running out (there is a link to a cnn article on this I am not going to go find it)  Abbott is ramping up production and will be restocking soon.  After the restock people are going to receive product that won't expire for almost a year (I think that that's a darn good shelf life).  Buying right now for a January or February cruise is the issue they are not that hard to order and they aren't going to go away if they don't order them right now so don't.

All I am saying is if you don't have a cruise in the next few weeks to a month don't order them.  The extra stock I do have will get me through to my next cruise in January but only because I got a set that has an middle of the month expiration date unlike most today.

I understand your point which you have made a couple of times.   I don’t need to be patronized for asking a valid question however.

I can look at a jug of milk and see the expiration date.  My question was what that date is on new shipments, so I could calculate myself how far in advance to order.  I am very capable of doing that, and just needed to know the dates on packages being received recently.  My question has been answered by several responders so I’m good.  Thanks. 

For anyone ordering or considering doing so from Optum, the other option for sourcing the BinaxNow telemed proctored test, this is the response I received from them to my question about expiration dates.  
just to confirm comments from others.  
 I am ordering a 2-pack to use for travel other than scheduled cruises and to test the process, but plan to wait a couple  months before ordering more for January and April cruises. 

4B3D229E-C5CE-45E9-B2A0-40D223EE927E.jpeg

1 hour ago, SheSailsFL said:

For anyone ordering or considering doing so from Optum, the other option for sourcing the BinaxNow telemed proctored test, this is the response I received from them to my question about expiration dates.  
just to confirm comments from others.  
 I am ordering a 2-pack to use for travel other than scheduled cruises and to test the process, but plan to wait a couple  months before ordering more for January and April cruises. 

4B3D229E-C5CE-45E9-B2A0-40D223EE927E.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. The whole process is stressful for everyone. The more we all share our experiences the better prepared we can all be. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 7:41 AM, Chauncey Picklepants said:

It would be great if ROYAL actually got the word out, since they’re the ones with the passenger lists. And I do mean actually letting passengers know - via an official communication that isn’t sandwiched between five thousand sales emails or that requires an unknowing passenger to visit a webpage that may list it “somewhere” on the page.  

I have received exactly zero communication from them.  They have four cell phone, one landline number and four email addresses with which to contact us on. Crickets. Only because I happened to click on a link here did I find out about the proctored test.
That should not be.

And the pompous people who think they’re better than the people who simply aren’t as up-to-the-minute and in-the-know and who come up short - maybe karma will have another surprise up her sleeve just for them. 

I received this email today for a cruise on the 13th. Less than 2 weeks away.

C.D.C. Change in COVID-19 Testing Requirement 

The U.S. CDC has revised their pre-cruise COVID-19 testing requirement for all cruises departing U.S. ports from September 13th, 2021. 

Vaccinated guests must present a negative PCR or antigen test result taken no more than 2 days prior to sailing in order to board. (Previously, it was 3 days.) Check out our new, easy, and convenient at-home test below. 

Unvaccinated children ages 2 to 11 must present a negative PCR test result taken no more than 3 days prior to sailing in order to board. (Antigen tests are no longer accepted.) There continues to be no testing 
required for guests under age 2.

Your test result must be issued by an accredited test provider and show a laboratory negative result that can be printed out or shown on your phone. Test cost continues to be the guest's responsibility. Learn about accepted tests at RoyalCaribbean.com/Test.

Starting Wednesday, September 8th, fully vaccinated guests can order at-home test kits, shipped right to your door (anywhere in the U.S.) in two business days or less. Complete your pre-cruise test at home, with live video supervision by a Certified Guide. Get your results in 15 minutes.
Visit RoyalCaribbean.com/HomeTestKit.

The remainder of our health and safety protocols remain unchanged.
Visit RoyalCaribbean.com/Health for all of our health
protocols & additional details. 

If you have questions about these protocols or have any concerns about sailing as a result of them, please contact us at 954-628-9290 or 1 (800) 256-6649. We’re here to answer your questions or work with you on additional options as we get you ready for your vacation.
spacer.gif
LEARN MORE
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I received this email today for a cruise on the 13th. Less than 2 weeks away.

C.D.C. Change in COVID-19 Testing Requirement 

The U.S. CDC has revised their pre-cruise COVID-19 testing requirement for all cruises departing U.S. ports from September 13th, 2021. 

Vaccinated guests must present a negative PCR or antigen test result taken no more than 2 days prior to sailing in order to board. (Previously, it was 3 days.) Check out our new, easy, and convenient at-home test below. 

Unvaccinated children ages 2 to 11 must present a negative PCR test result taken no more than 3 days prior to sailing in order to board. (Antigen tests are no longer accepted.) There continues to be no testing 
required for guests under age 2.

Your test result must be issued by an accredited test provider and show a laboratory negative result that can be printed out or shown on your phone. Test cost continues to be the guest's responsibility. Learn about accepted tests at RoyalCaribbean.com/Test.

Starting Wednesday, September 8th, fully vaccinated guests can order at-home test kits, shipped right to your door (anywhere in the U.S.) in two business days or less. Complete your pre-cruise test at home, with live video supervision by a Certified Guide. Get your results in 15 minutes.
Visit RoyalCaribbean.com/HomeTestKit.

The remainder of our health and safety protocols remain unchanged.
Visit RoyalCaribbean.com/Health for all of our health
protocols & additional details. 

If you have questions about these protocols or have any concerns about sailing as a result of them, please contact us at 954-628-9290 or 1 (800) 256-6649. We’re here to answer your questions or work with you on additional options as we get you ready for your vacation.
spacer.gif
LEARN MORE
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Thank you for sharing.  Cruising in Oct and would think Royal would email pending passengers if their  policy changed.  3 vs 2 days makes it tougher for those of us who work full time and fly in day before cruise.  

• Like 1