Jewelry shopping

VegasMIGolf

Hello all,  

We have been to all the shopping shows and stopped in at the "prefered" stores.  We are looking at purchasing some jewelry, nothing super expensive, maybe a nicer ring and a watch (Omega, Hublot, Longines, etc...).  

What are the benefits to purchasing on a cruise, or the ports at stores such as Diamonds International (etc.)?  How reputable are these places?  Do we get any perks from the cruise ship or shopping host for purchasing while on the cruise?

Thanks

personally, i dont think there are any benefits to buying jewelry onboard ship, especially a high end piece.

i have been told many times that when cruise ships are in port, the jewelers up the prices, which makes sense since there are now maybe an additional 10,000 people swarming the island if more then one ship is docked.

there is a very old saying: caveat emptor

I wouldn't suggest shopping for jewelry in port or on board the ship as a way of seeking bargains. They'll tell you all day it's a huge markdown, but from what is it marked down? It's difficult to know if pricing on gemstones is a good deal or not. I don't think the on-board stores are rip off pricing, but they aren't deep bargains for the most part.

The sales people are very persistent and can be aggressive in ports in Mexico and the Caribbean especially, it can be uncomfortable. Keep in mind, any warranty is with a company remote from you once you're home. I've purchased silver and gold jewelry in port shops that I've felt comfortable about, but I wouldn't want to spend thousands at a store I couldn't go back to. I've also purchased gemstone jewelry on board an NCL ship and felt I got what I paid for.

With watches, you should make sure you know pricing on models you're interested in so you know if it is a deal or not.

Have a budget, don't let sales pressure make you go above your planned spending and do your homework beforehand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you see something small on the ship ok. A pair of gold earrings on “sale” can be a buy or a sports watch but anything else you’d better have comparison shopped at home and have those prices with you. Stay away from the shops on the Islands unless it’s a custom one of a kind piece that you love. In my younger days Ive bought at H. Stern and the piece a gold and diamond link bracelet kept falling apart. After no satisfaction I had it totally repaired by my home jeweler. A diamond necklace ( small stones on a white gold chain from Diamonds international was not the quality they said it was ( I had it appraised for insurance). Heads up

• Thanks 1

Just hopped off the Gem.  The Effy store on board did 60% off on the last sea day.  Smaller known fact is you can actually make an offer lower than the offered price - I am told they usually approve a total discount of about ~67%.  The pieces they put out for the 60% off sale were different from what was in the cases all week (past seasons/years), so its a bit of a risk (compared with skipping the port shopping), but we loved the sale pieces more than anything we saw all week, so it worked out well for us. 

Please before you buy anything educate yourself, not only what you are looking for but the stores you are shopping in. We have been lucking, thanks to a local GIA appraiser that we haven't had any horror stories, the appraiser had us buy a loop and informed us on what to look for  . We caught an Effy store selling a ruby ring that was filled in with glass, how did we know it was glass, perfect round dot's throughout the stone.

As it has been said before, buyer beware. 

Watch out for that magic calculator too. 

Unless you are educated in the ways of buying gemstones with their settings and watches, I’d look elsewhere. I will say on the other hand, I have seen some really really nice stones out there. I had to call my Mom and send photos to see if she might be interested in a emerald. I was surprised to see it on the ship. Only time I felt I might have missed out on a deal. I wouldn’t say it was a great steal, but it was quite a stone and worth the amount they were asking for. Perhaps even worth more? 

Find out from the sellers, IN WRITING, how to get a refund or replacement or repair if something goes wrong with the purchase.

On one cruise we bought a cheap, $10, watch which had failed before the end of the cruise.   I spent a lot of time making a real nuisance of myself till I got a refund.

Caveat emptor.