Formal/Informal - another dress code thread

gizmo

I just read where Doone had a Formal/Informal night. This should put a spin on the typical dress code thread. I am sure Doone will report on this when she returns from her cruise next seek.

I saw this mentioned the other day on this board, but don't remember which thread. When I saw it I thought it was because of a screw up with documents saying 2 days but the ship had 3. One of them was this Formal/Informal night.

Talk about confusing people ! :eek: Whoever dreamed this one up belongs in a mental institution.

Well, at least HAL is calling it what it is. They say suits are okay for formal night. A suit, while dressy and businesslike, is NOT formal. By definition, anything not formal is informal. Is this a harbinger of HAL's introduction of "Dressy Night" where if your top coordinates with your slacks/skirts that you'll be considered dressed up?

Well, at least HAL is calling it what it is. They say suits are okay for formal night. A suit, while dressy and businesslike, is NOT formal. By definition, anything not formal is informal. Is this a harbinger of HAL's introduction of "Dressy Night" where if your top coordinates with your slacks/skirts that you'll be considered dressed up?

What about leisure suits ? I do see them every now and then. ;)

Only if they are lime green 100% polyester, worn with a shiny polyester shirt, puca shell necklace, white belt and shoes :eek:

Yes, lime green is perfect. I am not sure about the shells but how about 6 or 7 gold chains? The gold by the inch would be perfect. :D

What is it exactly??? Does it mean either/or? .... or a combination of both?

Doone will be back next week and I am sure she will fill us in.

Whatever it means it is definitly another "moronic marketing wonder".

Yes, it does sound like that. I think it is a BAD idea and just causes more confusion.

Herb, you are absolutely correct BUT no one follows this. Hal even suggests suits.

I think sometimes there is a disconnect between what the cruise documents state and what the ships staff deems appropriate for that itinerary. On our 10 day E. Caribbean on the Veendam in Dec 05 cruise docs stated 3 formal but our first "newsletter/schedule" showed 2 formal nights. According to the HM the itinerary had too few days at sea that weren't first day out or last night that they thought 2 formal nights were more appropriate. However I guess they had a lot of complaints and changed it. After all if you schlepped 3 formals on board you would certainly want to wear them. Perhaps this informal/formal was a way of accommodating the 3 formal nights that the ships staff had planned to the 2 formal nights that the cruise docs stated.

Have to admit I haven't worn a "ball gown" since my Senior Prom!:o And I won't say how long ago that was!;)

Actually, my formal and informal is so close they're almost interchangeable anyway so that would be okay with me, but tough on DH to know what to wear.

Mostly I just hope the Volendam doesn't go the route of the Oosterdam with the "loose" dining times.

Actually, my formal and informal is so close they're almost interchangeable anyway so that would be okay with me, but tough on DH to know what to wear.

I think it would be ok for most of the gentlemen as well. If the formal/informal is in fact what it seems to suggest, I guess the same suit for the gentlemen on both nights would be sufficient.

Got to thinking, and I remembered that they did this on one of our cruises when the documents said one thing and the ship schedule said another. Our Concierge said that was the only way they could think of to make it so that whether you dressed according to the documents sent or the daily planner - you were dressed appropriately.

Mostly I just hope the Volendam doesn't go the route of the Oosterdam with the "loose" dining times.

It is Leisure Dining and the lime green leisure suite would be perfect. :D

I think the Neruh jacket would also work. :D

Lime Green, Chartreuse, or Baby Blue ... any of these colors are good for Polyester Leisure Suits at Leisure Dining. Of course, you'll have to have the Spa give you a frizzy afro. :) That would have looked great on "Match Game."

Come to think of it ... most of the things worn by either Charles Nelson Reilly or Gene Rayburn on that show would do for informal night. Sometimes I watch Match Game on the Game Show Network and almost get violently ill at what the men are wearing. Thank GOD it's not 1976.

I have to say I love a man in a white shirt. He doesn't have to wear a tie - just that white shirt is so appealing. :D

JUST a white shirt?

What about pants? ;)

Or, are you going for the "Tom Cruise" Risky Business effect?

Archived