Travel Ins

siren

go to www.insuremytrip.com to book. They give you options to compare multiple companies' insurance and the charge is the same as doing it directly with the insurer's website in my experience. They also have a box (on the left) you can select to choose companies that are best for covering any covid related issues.

Edited by NRWPA

Many of us on here have always used Steve (or one of his associates) at the Trip Insurance Store...amazing personal service based on your specific need.

He is also at times a guest poster on CC to answer travel insurance questions. Call his company directly and speak to a person not just an online site.

(888) 407-3854

• Like 1

2 hours ago, siren said:

I am looking into getting travel insurance for the first time.  Can you give me any helpful hints?

Consider:

Is your current health insurance good outside the US?  Mine is not, so I buy medical primary.

Do you want evacuation insurance to return to your country if seriously sick?

Coverage for weather/hurricanes, luggage, delays, cancel due to illness or family emergencies 

Some of the things to consider when buying.

All comprehensive travel policies will include evacuation coverage. It will get you to the nearest appropriate facility then home if your condition warrants. A stand alone policy also requires that you be transferred hospital-to-hospital, but you have more control in the decision. A comprehensive policy will also cover medical as well as cancellation and other travel related problems. 

Since you are new to travel insurance, I also suggest you call the broker mentioned in post #3. The people there can help you find the best policy for your needs and can help you if you need to file a claim.

Things to consider:

1.Pre-existing conditions and whether it applies to you.

2.Covid friendly policy without exclusions.

3. Trip interruption/ trip delay for quarantine expenses.

4. Appropriate dollar limits for your trip/needs based on other coverage you may already have.

5. Your biggest concern. What do you worry about most?

21 hours ago, siren said:

I am looking into getting travel insurance for the first time.  Can you give me any helpful hints?

First thing I would recommend to a "rookie" looking for travel insurance is, What are you looking to insure and why?

The first time I "adulted" and purchased travel insurance, I was very pleased with myself. I thought that travel insurance meant that if I missed a flight, just call the travel insurance company and they buy and schedule another flight. I thought that if I needed medical care, I just show the doctor my travel insurance card like here at home and everything would be taken care of.

Fortunately, I learned how wrong I was before I actually experienced these things by reading these boards.

From these boards, the first thing I learned was that travel insurance is reimbursement based only. Run into a problem and you must pay first, then file for reimbursement later. Second thing I learned, if you run into any issue, call the travel insurance company and seek their advise and document every phone call. Let them know what happened and how you are planning to proceed.

Here are my thoughts these days.

If my cruise costs are under $10K and something happens and I lose the $10K, I'll have some splaining to do with my wife, but I will not be financially ruined. I can also offset some of these losses by using a credit card that offers some level of travel insurance benefits. Myself? I use a Chase Sapphire Reserved card.

Medical is a whole different animal though. Healthcare costs could be a major financial hit. Therefore, I ensure I get a policy with generous medical coverage.

I usually get a Travel Insured policy specially designed for Washington State residents that includes coverage for those with pre-existing conditions for about $70 for both of us.

I also use Steve at www.tripinsurancestore.com as my broker.