MSC Americans only on US cruises? How full have sailings been?

dmccadden

2 hours ago, styles27 said:

Dual color bands? Never said that.

Our BIL and SIL weren’t given ANY wristband even though they were both vaccinated. Their small kids were not vaccinated obviously they can’t be. They’re under 12

Consider yourself lucky that you were able to get off the ship on your own because that is not what MSC’s current policy is and not what happened on my BIL’s cruise (and what I’ve read on CC has happened to other families)

Sounds like the security on your cruise was lax. 

So what you’re telling us is that MSC didn’t enforce their own Covid policy I posted above. Not exactly comforting because now it makes me question what other safety practices they’re letting slide. 

Styles, you read it one way, I read it another.  The stuff you mentioned specifically talked about "shore excursions" as in like a shore excursion desk.  You left out some other tidbits too.  I read it different.  I don't take shore excursions.  I simply went ashore as a fully vaccinated person...  Facts.   If you perceive them as lax apparently after not being on one of their boats recently, then by all means you shouldn't cruise. 

No white colored bands.  Black only, issued as trackers for all your movements on the ship. 

left out stuff like this...

>>Fully vaccinated are free to go ashore in each port of call, including our exclusive private island, Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve, or enjoy one of our many offered shore excursions.

>>>>

- Can I go ashore freely if my kids are not vaccinated?

Any fully vaccinated guests in the same traveling party with a not fully vaccinated guest or a child 11 years old or younger are considered not fully vaccinated for the purposes of shore excursions. Everyone will need to purchase a shore excursion as not fully vaccinated guests. 

Example - A family of four, two adults and two children under 11 years old: All guests will be required to participate in a shore excursion for not fully vaccinated guests.

9 hours ago, Virga said:

So wait, if you're vaccinated, do you have to wear the wristband the whole trip?  Or is that only if you want to get off the ship?  I'd gladly stay on the ship if I didn't have to wear a wristband, but I don't want to be limited in what I do onboard.  I hate wristbands!!  I totally understand why it has to be the vaxxed folks and not the unvaxxed, but...  What would I give up if I skipped the wristband?

Yes, everybody  is issued a black wristband, at least on my 7 day cruise.  It looks like a fitbit charge.  Not very cumbersome.  It helps them know where people have been for close contact reasons and also allows you to charge drinks and stuff... You can also use your card for charging too though.  Don't lose them though, they are 35 bucks if you don't return them when getting off.  

3 hours ago, styles27 said:

So what you’re telling us is that MSC didn’t enforce their own Covid policy I posted above.

I assume that since post-9/13 every psg > 11yrs has to be vaxed, they thought that they did not need wristbands anymore - without realizing that is would create a conflict with their excursions policy.

22 minutes ago, CampNCruise74 said:

Styles, you read it one way, I read it another.  The stuff you mentioned specifically talked about "shore excursions" as in like a shore excursion desk.  You left out some other tidbits too.  I read it different.  I don't take shore excursions.  I simply went ashore as a fully vaccinated person...  Facts.   If you perceive them as lax apparently after not being on one of their boats recently, then by all means you shouldn't cruise. 

No white colored bands.  Black only, issued as trackers for all your movements on the ship. 

left out stuff like this...

>>Fully vaccinated are free to go ashore in each port of call, including our exclusive private island, Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve, or enjoy one of our many offered shore excursions.

>>>>

- Can I go ashore freely if my kids are not vaccinated?

Any fully vaccinated guests in the same traveling party with a not fully vaccinated guest or a child 11 years old or younger are considered not fully vaccinated for the purposes of shore excursions. Everyone will need to purchase a shore excursion as not fully vaccinated guests. 

Example - A family of four, two adults and two children under 11 years old: All guests will be required to participate in a shore excursion for not fully vaccinated guests.

No we didn’t read the policy differently the difference is I’m reading the policy and it looks like you’re reading  a FAQ page which is most likely not updated. 

It really doesn’t matter at this point you got off the ship as you wanted to but know that has not been the case for others in your exact situation traveling with kids under age 12.

4 minutes ago, KeepSailing said:

I assume that since post-9/13 every psg > 11yrs has to be vaxed, they thought that they did not need wristbands anymore - without realizing that is would create a conflict with their excursions policy.

Maybe, who knows with MSC they’re notorious for being confusing. 

My family’s children are under 12 so they aren’t vaccinated. Parents were vaccinated (they had to be to get on the cruise.)

They cruised around Labor Day and the current policy was updated 9/3. 

25 minutes ago, styles27 said:

No we didn’t read the policy differently the difference is I’m reading the policy and it looks like you’re reading  a FAQ page which is most likely not updated. 

It really doesn’t matter at this point you got off the ship as you wanted to but know that has not been the case for others in your exact situation traveling with kids under age 12.

Things are changing rapidly.  I also assume that since Bahamas current law of the land is that you can come into the country if you are fully vaccinated, and also given they are the leaseholder of Ocean Cay, they probably don't want to restrict people from coming onshore to spend money within the country.  If I was the Bahama's Minister of Tourism, I would instruct MSC to let vaccinated people off the ship with that kind of leverage.  It was quite a sad bit with half of Nassau still closed.

37 minutes ago, styles27 said:

No, but we both read these things on their web site, and how do you know it's not updated?   FAQ's arise from the implementation of policies.  Obviously what I read and interpreted in the FAQ is being implemented and its important for other people to know that.   

7 minutes ago, CampNCruise74 said:

No, but we both read these things on their web site, and how do you know it's not updated?   FAQ's arise from the implementation of policies.  Obviously what I read and interpreted in the FAQ is being implemented and its important for other people to know that.   

Do you have a link to the FAQ you posted I can’t find it

18 minutes ago, CampNCruise74 said:

Found it thank you.
I forwarded that to my BIL because he’s still fuming about not being let off the ship.

He has another cruise booked over Thanksgiving that he is trying to get all of his money back on because he said he doesn’t want to be trapped on the ship again in port.

So maybe that FAQ page will help his cause I don’t know.

It contradicts their own policy that he and his wife and many others were held to on their cruise.

Also found it interesting that you were given a tracking bracelet and someone on Divina just this past week (maureencruiser did a live review while onboard) said they weren’t given a tracking bracelet. 
Just another inconsistency that makes me scratch my head.
Why not use them across the fleet or at least be consistent in the same cruise region? But no, one ship uses them and the other doesn’t. 
Makes complete sense in MSC’s minds (sarcasm)

Also found it interesting that you were given a tracking bracelet and someone on Divina just this past week (maureencruiser did a live review while onboard) said they weren’t given a tracking bracelet. 
Just another inconsistency that makes me scratch my head.

The Divina is NOT a smart ship, thus the smart watches don't work. (Heck, you can't even review your charges without going to Customer Service!)  Covid contact tracing is done throughout the ship either voluntarily at various stations or when you order a drink the servers are supposed to collect a certain # of contract traces by scanning your card with an IPhone.

5 hours ago, dmccadden said:

Back on topic!!  How full have the last couple of 7day cruises been?

thanks

Last Saturday for the Meraviglia at the front gate they told me 2000.  Forty five minutes later at the ticket counter, they told me 1800; and finally at the reception desk on board at about 3 pm that day they said about 1580. 

9/25 Mera told 1500.  9/26 Divinia was in the 900 range with 44 in YC.  Today's Divinia is 37 in YC, not sure about whole ship.

From rough observation of ships in Nassau last week and yesterday, ships appear to be no more than 1/3 full.

• Like 1

I will say this however, the Carnival Horizon that left the same day as us on 9/18 had its top deck  packed with people as it sailed out.  I have a strong feeling that the precautions there are footloose and fancy free in comparison.  I think that's why I have read some news accounts of covid cases about them recently.    

• 10 months later...
41 minutes ago, Selion said:

Resurrecting this thread...  How full has MSC ships been recently?

Website linked below has US sailings passenger numbers by ship.  About half way down the page you can select the individual ship "Divina" or "MSC Seashore" and see each sailing's data.

https://observablehq.com/@andy-bloch/andys-cdc-cruise-ship-covid-outbreak-tracker

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Até said:

Website linked below has US sailings passenger numbers by ship.  About half way down the page you can select the individual ship "Divina" or "MSC Seashore" and see each sailing's data.

https://observablehq.com/@andy-bloch/andys-cdc-cruise-ship-covid-outbreak-tracker

Thanks, Ate!  Seems that MSC is struggling to fill the Divina while RCI has been sailing Independence of the Seas at 100%.

2 hours ago, Até said:

Thank you! This is a great resource, appreciate you sharing it with us!

3 hours ago, Selion said:

Thanks, Ate!  Seems that MSC is struggling to fill the Divina while RCI has been sailing Independence of the Seas at 100%.

Considering that I was able to book Divina for under $400 after taxes for a Fantastica obstructed view with $100 OBC for the Labor Day Weekend 3 day, I’d say Divina is sailing fairly empty.  

8 hours ago, Selion said:

I do not know if what you say is true, but I think you need to consider an interesting factoid.  MSC cruises out of Florida, traditionally sail with a high percentage (often 50%) or Europeans.  Why?  MSC has a big presence in Europe with many fans and these folks will often travel to Florida for cruises.  But COVID has put a big crimp in that market with airfares soaring and fewer charter deals.   RCI is a fine line (for its targeted market) and we would hope they are doing well.  But MSC has much deeper pockets and will continue to grow in the North American market.  And within a year we will see our first Explore Journeys ship which will also be a presence in North America.  Explora Journeys is a high-end small ship (900 passenger) luxury cruise line spun off by MSC.  It has 6 ships either under construction or contract.

When you add the MSC ships to Explora Journeys you are talking about a 30+ ship company that is growing by about 2 ships per year.  I suspect that MSC is struggling with the same labor shortage problems that are haunting all the cruise lines.  Princess just cancelled 11 cruises because of crew shortage.

Hank

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mowogo said:

Considering that I was able to book Divina for under $400 after taxes for a Fantastica obstructed view with $100 OBC for the Labor Day Weekend 3 day, I’d say Divina is sailing fairly empty.  

Wow.  That's an amazing deal!  I thought at under $800 with taxes for a balcony cabin was a decent deal.  😅  See you onboard!

42 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I do not know if what you say is true, but I think you need to consider an interesting factoid.  MSC cruises out of Florida, traditionally sail with a high percentage (often 50%) or Europeans. 

Based on CDC's passenger numbers, it appears that way.  I remember our 2018 Seaside cruise in the Caribbean, over half of the ship were Europeans and we loved it.  We loved it so much, we booked a 2019 Mediterranean cruise on Fantasia.  English wasn't even the most spoken language on that cruise.  Loved, loved that cruise in the Med.  Total immersion experience.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Selion said:

Wow.  That's an amazing deal!  I thought at under $800 with taxes for a balcony cabin was a decent deal.  😅  See you onboard!

I was shocked at how cheap it was, so of course I had to book it.