Buyer Beware on Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ Home Testing Kit

cruzin4us

I went on the Emed website & took a pic of the 2 kits side by side, so I could

order the Correct (monitored) test kit.  The pic helped when it came time to order.

Be sure to put in all names (up to 3 names) of those who can use the kits.

I needed to put in 4 names, but it only allows 3.

So will have to order another box, with smaller amount of kits, for 4th person.

BTW they sent my order FedEx overnight delivery, and it did!

Cost $179 total for the 6 pack of tests.

32 minutes ago, triple7tahoe said:

It says these tests expire at the end of 2021.

Yes they do.  Heres what I said post #5

"I have been all thru the other test kit threads, so already knew about the Jan. 2022 Exp.

We have 2 cruises before the end of THIS year, so plan to buy them for that.

Will WAIT to purchase 2022 Exp. kits for cruises Next year, when the time comes.

This is defianately one purchase I would only buy, if cruising THIS year.

☺️

22 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

I tried to edit my original post but was unable to...  to get to your reimbursement info and prescriptions on Emed you need to click on My Orders and then order details. 

Just checked with my health insurance plan, may I ask if the order/prescription details includes any 5-digit procedural code (presumably evidence of a physician's order)?  Thanks!

55 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

Just checked with my health insurance plan, may I ask if the order/prescription details includes any 5-digit procedural code (presumably evidence of a physician's order)?  Thanks!

Yes, it includes diagnosis code, lab code and 5 digit CPT code ( which I think is the procedure code you are looking for). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

Yes, it includes diagnosis code, lab code and 5 digit CPT code ( which I think is the procedure code you are looking for). 

Correct, it has all of the relevant information to submit for reimbursement. 

Question though -- for cruises from the US that go to Mexico -- e.g., Cabo from Los Angeles, when are you meant to do the negative test before returning to the US? Is that administered on the ship?

12 minutes ago, Nytxguy said:

Question though -- for cruises from the US that go to Mexico -- e.g., Cabo from Los Angeles, when are you meant to do the negative test before returning to the US? Is that administered on the ship?

Do you need to do one if not returning to Canada?  I thought it was only if you fly in from foreign country that US citizens are required to test.

40 minutes ago, Nytxguy said:

Correct, it has all of the relevant information to submit for reimbursement. 

I haven’t seen anything about a requirement for passengers returning from a Mexico cruise to test upon return.  However  if a test is needed you can test onboard using an observed test kit ( that you bring with you) or test at the port after disembarking.  Here’s the FAQ:

D4A385B6-2266-4E1F-94FD-3226BC6DCF38.thumb.png.4670c5a183be7ea8414968e87473cd5d.png

On 9/12/2021 at 4:31 PM, cruzin4us said:

If you are opting to purchase the Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ Home Testing Kit for your upcoming cruise(s) please beware of a couple of things:

I have 3 cruises booked:  October 2021, April 2022 and November 2022.  I thought "Cool", I can use these for all 3 cruises....NOPE.    The company is very vague when it comes to telling you how long the tests are good for.  In their FAQ's, they have a letter from the FDA stating the kits have been approved for a 12 month shelf life from the date of manufacture.  WHAT THEY DON'T TELL YOU is the kits were manufactured in January 2021.  Meaning any cruise planned for after January 5, 2022 the kits won't work.

I purchased my 6 kits on Sept. 2nd, and the kits arrived a few days later.  Upon opening the kits I saw the expiration date was Oct. 5, 2021 so I called EMED and was told that all their kits were made in the first part of 2021 and all the kits are expiring January 5, 2022.  So, if you are planning a trip anytime after that date, the current supply of the Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ Home Testing Kit won't be valid.  Of course if you are cruising before that date, then you are all good.

The 2nd thing:  They only allow you to put 3 names down to use the kits.  There are 4 of us cruising (not all are going every cruise).  So, I just put my name down thinking I could add the other people when we took the test.... That's a big fat NO.   So, don't assume you can buy 6 of the kits and use them willy nilly, or for whomever you want, whenever you want.   They were VERY unclear about this when you order.    Again, I called about this and was told that if I didn't sign everyone up when I purchased, then no one else could use them but me.

Let me add too:   I tried calling BEFORE I purchased the kits because I had questions but I was put on hold for 45 minutes so I hung up.   So, I'll take ownership on this part.

Just be informed before you buy.

Geez, we were going to use this for our family of four for our January 2nd, 2022 cruise. We were planning on testing in December 31st. Juuust getting in under the wire. It also sounds like I will need two sets of kits since they only allow you to enter three names when you order. Ugh.

16 minutes ago, Stevie17 said:

Geez, we were going to use this for our family of four for our January 2nd, 2022 cruise. We were planning on testing in December 31st. Juuust getting in under the wire. It also sounds like I will need two sets of kits since they only allow you to enter three names when you order. Ugh.

Or go to Optum  and order in sets of two.  Here’s the link from Princess FAQ (hopefully link works).   https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/?utm_source=carnival&utm_medium=referral&utm_term=&utm_content=2-pack&utm_campaign=travel_ready_covid_test&utm_nooverride=1

Edited by Shelly97060

5 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

I just went to Optum's site, and here's what it is saying about expiration dates. If this is truly the case, this won't work for us at all. 

Due to nationwide test supply shortages, the test you receive may expire by December 15, 2021. Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test is FDA Emergency Use Authorized. This test combined with eMed telehealth services, and eMed lab's result, meets conditions of proof of negative COVID-19 test by the CDC. This is accepted by airlines and cruise lines for individuals whose trip originates from the U.S. and are returning to the U.S. from a trip abroad. Check with your airline or cruise line for details (There is currently no similar requirement for air travel within the continental U.S.). 

1 hour ago, Stevie17 said:

I just went to Optum's site, and here's what it is saying about expiration dates. If this is truly the case, this won't work for us at all. 

Due to nationwide test supply shortages, the test you receive may expire by December 15, 2021. Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test is FDA Emergency Use Authorized. This test combined with eMed telehealth services, and eMed lab's result, meets conditions of proof of negative COVID-19 test by the CDC. This is accepted by airlines and cruise lines for individuals whose trip originates from the U.S. and are returning to the U.S. from a trip abroad. Check with your airline or cruise line for details (There is currently no similar requirement for air travel within the continental U.S.). 

There have been similar expiration comments about the tests from Emed. Hopefully Abbott will make more tests if the requirement extends beyond December 2021! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

There have been similar expiration comments about the tests from Emed. Hopefully Abbott will make more tests if the requirement extends beyond December 2021! 

Or hopefully the testing requirement will go away and just the proof of vaccination will be needed

• Like 8

On 9/12/2021 at 5:31 PM, cruzin4us said:

If you are opting to purchase the Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ Home Testing Kit for your upcoming cruise(s) please beware of a couple of things:

I have 3 cruises booked:  October 2021, April 2022 and November 2022.  I thought "Cool", I can use these for all 3 cruises....NOPE.    The company is very vague when it comes to telling you how long the tests are good for.  In their FAQ's, they have a letter from the FDA stating the kits have been approved for a 12 month shelf life from the date of manufacture.  WHAT THEY DON'T TELL YOU is the kits were manufactured in January 2021.  Meaning any cruise planned for after January 5, 2022 the kits won't work.

I purchased my 6 kits on Sept. 2nd, and the kits arrived a few days later.  Upon opening the kits I saw the expiration date was Oct. 5, 2021 so I called EMED and was told that all their kits were made in the first part of 2021 and all the kits are expiring January 5, 2022.  So, if you are planning a trip anytime after that date, the current supply of the Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ Home Testing Kit won't be valid.  Of course if you are cruising before that date, then you are all good.

The 2nd thing:  They only allow you to put 3 names down to use the kits.  There are 4 of us cruising (not all are going every cruise).  So, I just put my name down thinking I could add the other people when we took the test.... That's a big fat NO.   So, don't assume you can buy 6 of the kits and use them willy nilly, or for whomever you want, whenever you want.   They were VERY unclear about this when you order.    Again, I called about this and was told that if I didn't sign everyone up when I purchased, then no one else could use them but me.

Let me add too:   I tried calling BEFORE I purchased the kits because I had questions but I was put on hold for 45 minutes so I hung up.   So, I'll take ownership on this part.

It can’t be the Abbott Binaxnow

On 9/12/2021 at 5:31 PM, cruzin4us said:

Not Abbott BinaxNOW…. Has to be

Abbott BinaxNOW AG card antigen test.

I can’t find my expiration date. Hmm..

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

It can’t be the Abbott Binaxnow

Not Abbott BinaxNOW…. Has to be

Abbott BinaxNOW AG card antigen test.

I can’t find my expiration date. Hmm..

Couple of photos of the packaging of the 2 tests received from Optum.   Expiration date is at the bottom right of the unsleeved packet.

E80E7774-E6C3-4B9F-800C-C364D1E2D74A.thumb.jpeg.55efc6371879a30a0273dc35240b7eb4.jpeg

930CB52B-E598-4093-BC3D-E8EEE712A430.jpeg

Found this on the Majestic roll call for our cruise.   The tests are not tied to an individual and can the two pack can be shared:

Thank you for contacting the Optum Store.
I would be more than happy to help you with any questions or concerns you may have. To answer your question yes, when you purchase the 2 pack of Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services - 2 Pack for Travel tests for COVID-19, you are allowed to use it on individual people. At first the test will ask for registration information for you, but when proctored by Telehealth or eMed they will ask for your husbands information as well for the 2nd test.

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to us.

Thank you,
Tamara White

Optum Store Team

• Like 1

The expiration date on the package is not the 'real' expiration date. Abbott put out a letter extending the expiration date by 3 months, identified by lot number. So my box has an expiration date of 10/15/21, but the true expiration date is now 1/15/22. I'm just glad I ordered the 3-pack from Optum and not the 6-pack from emed, but selling near-expired product is a definite rip-off, and by Royal and Carnival are at fault by not doing due diligence about expiration dates before linking to the sites on their websites. You might want extra tests anyway, since one video showed a guy knocking the test card full of fluid off his desk and ruining it (Tony from LaLidaLoca, currently on the Majestic).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rj59 said:

The expiration date on the package is not the 'real' expiration date. Abbott put out a letter extending the expiration date by 3 months, identified by lot number. So my box has an expiration date of 10/15/21, but the true expiration date is now 1/15/22. I'm just glad I ordered the 3-pack from Optum and not the 6-pack from emed, but selling near-expired product is a definite rip-off, and by Royal and Carnival are at fault by not doing due diligence about expiration dates before linking to the sites on their websites. You might want extra tests anyway, since one video showed a guy knocking the test card full of fluid off his desk and ruining it (Tony from LaLidaLoca, currently on the Majestic).

Abbott is now producing millions due to the defense production act.  They destroyed millions when the sales dropped a few months ago.  Now that Covid is raging again, they are short of tests. So, we should be getting fresh ones in the next montn or so?  Lets hope!

• 2 weeks later...

OMG OMG, we got two test kits a week before we were going to cruise. My brothers test went without a hitch.

I went to do mine. Tried to put the 6 drops into the upper window and found the bottle was completely dry. Telehealth person saw my panicking and then caught on that I tried to switch to my brothers bottle and invalidated the test.

Then spent hours on hold with R/C and kit maker and pretty much told I am SOL.

Then the mass panic trying to find a place last evening how was willing to do a quick test and was turned away at each location.

I got an appointment today a a walk-in medi center were you pay 150 bucks for a quick PCR test and I am good to go.

I would highly recommend anyone who order these test to get at least 2 backup one. Sure your will wasting money but if you went through what I did after last night and the past 19 months it will be well worth it.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 1:24 PM, californiagirl said:

So I’m confused.  I bought 4 tests online from Walmart.  They will be here on Wednesday.  There was no registration required when I ordered them.  These are the Abbot  BinaxNow home test kits.  Is there a different test kit?

Yes, do NOT purchase if labeled OTC. Those are not monitored by EMed and are not acceptable.

19 hours ago, trey420 said:

What do you show the cruise line when you use this do you have to print or can you show from phone?

You should get your test results from the proctored test.  You can show that test result.  But, as a backup in case of any problems….I ALWAYS print my documents that I have to show. I carry my cell, my DH will carry any copies of documents. 

43 minutes ago, cacruiser54 said:

Yes, do NOT purchase if labeled OTC. Those are not monitored by EMed and are not acceptable.

OTC is called BinaxNOW covid 19 home test.  The proctored or emed/optum test is BinaxNOW Covid 19 ag card.

The proctored card comes in 2 pack, 3 pack and 6 pack, that I know of.  

Check yours carefully to see if it has

info about registering and calling to have a medical assistant monitor the test.

i don’t believe Walmart is selling the proctored ones.  I only know of optum.com and emed.com

that you can get the ag card.  But, I mail be wrong.  Let us know.

35 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

OTC is called BinaxNOW covid 19 home test.  The proctored or emed/optum test is BinaxNOW Covid 19 ag card.

The proctored card comes in 2 pack, 3 pack and 6 pack, that I know of.  

Check yours carefully to see if it has

info about registering and calling to have a medical assistant monitor the test.

i don’t believe Walmart is selling the proctored ones.  I only know of optum.com and emed.com

that you can get the ag card.  But, I mail be wrong.  Let us know.

May be…not mail be… lol