Amsterdam hotel question

Depends. The Marriott is very close to the Museumplein, so a great location for the museums. The Renaissance is not far from Centraal, so convenient for the train and public transportation. The Marriott is (was?) a fairly traditional Marriott and the Renaissance was a little more European and funky, in a good way. 

I used points at the Renaissance when I was in Amsterdam.  I was very pleased with the location and quality of the hotel.  It is definitely closer to the more central portion of the city (including the Centraal train station).  I walked to everything from there.  I do agree with markeb that the Marriott is definitely closer to the museums, if that is a priority to you.  I actually walked from the Renaissance to the museums.  It wasn't that far and I was in relaxing walk vacation mode, so it was all good.

3 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I used points at the Renaissance when I was in Amsterdam.  I was very pleased with the location and quality of the hotel.  It is definitely closer to the more central portion of the city (including the Centraal train station).  I walked to everything from there.  I do agree with markeb that the Marriott is definitely closer to the museums, if that is a priority to you.  I actually walked from the Renaissance to the museums.  It wasn't that far and I was in relaxing walk vacation mode, so it was all good.

I kind of liked the Renaissance more, but the Marriott was so convenient to the museums. Renaissance was a business trip; Marriott was personal. And the tram from Centraal will get you to the Museumplein in probably 20 minutes or so. And there were a number of "neighborhood" restaurants around the Renaissance. Kind of a tough call...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, deec said:

Comments on Movenpick hotel.  Price is better than Renaissance but if the location is terrible won't continue to consider.

Is your ship sailing from directly in Amsterdam? or at the more remote port of Ijmuiden, which is sometimes referred to as Amsterdam in cruise advertising?

If you're sailing from central Amsterdam, then the Movenpick is probably an excellent choice as it is literally connected to the cruise terminal.  If staying there, the sites of Amsterdam are still very walkable and/or you may choose to take a tram/taxi to some of the ones that are further away.   One can walk from the Movenpick to the Centraal Train Station in 10-15 minutes.

As I mentioned, I stayed at the Renaissance which is located in the prime tourist area and from there I walked to the cruise terminal on departure day.  That walk took maybe 20-25 minutes.  I, personally, would not hesitate to book the Movenpick as my pre-cruise sightseeing base.   I'm not able to comment on the quality of the hotel as I didn't stay there.  But I've read others on this forum who seem to like the experience.  I walked everywhere during my stay and did not use any public transportation.  Even to the more distant museum district.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

River ships dock around various places in the vicinity of Centraal Station. Movenpick is great if you sail on a cruise ship. In your case I would suggest the Renaissance as it is closest to Centraal Station. See the postings about this hotel by others. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ine, Thanks!!

Ine you gave me a name of a wonderful private driver, De Dagtoertaxi, who has retired.  Do you have another suggestion?  We will probably want to go to Floriade or Keukenhof the end of April, 2022.  I also tried Arthur Weegeman whose name I saw on Trip Advisor.

Are you going to Puerto Vallarta this winter?  we are heading down Jan 8- Feb 18!!  Warm Sunshine!

14 hours ago, deec said:

Ine, Thanks!!

Ine you gave me a name of a wonderful private driver, De Dagtoertaxi, who has retired.  Do you have another suggestion?  We will probably want to go to Floriade or Keukenhof the end of April, 2022.  I also tried Arthur Weegeman whose name I saw on Trip Advisor.

Are you going to Puerto Vallarta this winter?  we are heading down Jan 8- Feb 18!!  Warm Sunshine!

As far as I know Marius of dagtoertaxi has sold his company to another person. He recommands him, but the new price might be higher then before. you can reach this man at: http://www.dagtoertaxi.nl/

I hope he can help you. I will try and contact a friend who might know others too.

We hope to be in Vallarta this winter, but depending DH health. Hopefully by mid or end of December we know more. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2021 at 12:05 PM, bostonstrong17 said:

As I am a Marriott elite member I am deciding between two hotels, the Amsterdam Marriott or the Renaissance Amsterdam.  Does anyone know which hotel has a better location?

Being a Marriott elite the best located option is the W Amsterdam. Have stayed many times and the location is excellent. Much more central than either the Marriott or Renaissance. 

On 11/10/2021 at 12:41 PM, princeton123211 said:

Being a Marriott elite the best located option is the W Amsterdam. Have stayed many times and the location is excellent. Much more central than either the Marriott or Renaissance. 

Agree - excellent location right around the corner from the Royal Palace & Dam Square. W has a nice rooftop lounge and an elegant Michelin restaurant (1 star), The Duchess.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/amswh-w-amsterdam/

• 4 months later...

Is anyone familiar with the Sir Albert? We will be in Amsterdam this fall and have reservations using points at both the Renaissance and the Sir Albert. We would use 45,000 less points at the Sir Albert (which would be an extra night at many hotels) but willing to spend the extra points if the Renaissance is a better location, value etc. Any input would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Will be arriving into Amsterdam by train, staying overnight, then leaving on a ship from the Cruise Port, so am thinking of booking into the Doubletree. The hotel’s web site says it’s a 5 minute walk from Centraal Station, and on the map, it looks even closer to the Cruise Port.  Will have some luggage, but it’s all on wheels.  Any thoughts on whether this is walkable from the train station to the hotel and then to the cruise port the next day?   Any other thoughts about the Doubletree?  Thanks!

26 minutes ago, inactivemind said:

Will be arriving into Amsterdam by train, staying overnight, then leaving on a ship from the Cruise Port, so am thinking of booking into the Doubletree. The hotel’s web site says it’s a 5 minute walk from Centraal Station, and on the map, it looks even closer to the Cruise Port.  Will have some luggage, but it’s all on wheels.  Any thoughts on whether this is walkable from the train station to the hotel and then to the cruise port the next day?   Any other thoughts about the Doubletree?  Thanks!

Yes it walkable for sure. Indeed 5 minutes from CS to hotel, about 10/15 minut4s from hotel to the cruise terminal. Excellent hotel with a bar that has a nice view over the city. 

34 minutes ago, Ine said:

Yes it walkable for sure. Indeed 5 minutes from CS to hotel, about 10/15 minut4s from hotel to the cruise terminal. Excellent hotel with a bar that has a nice view over the city. 

Thanks so much!  Appreciate the feedback.