Should I be happy or mad? Sapphire D211 switched to Royal A333

PACD_JG

On 9/16/2021 at 1:53 PM, PACD_JG said:

I just went from undecided to hell no.  

I just logged in and they replaced Glacier Bay with Hubbard Glacier.  This is on a northbound Vancouver-Whittier cruise.

That seems exceptionally odd. Glacier Bay is capacity-controlled, but subbing a ship wouldn't be a deal breaker. Southbound Princess itineraries usually hit Hubbard + GB, while northbound hit GB + College Fjord. 

If you're going Northbound, does that mean the itinerary is now Hubbard Glacier + College Fjord?? Again, that would be really odd as the line already has slots for Glacier Bay from the NPS. 

1 hour ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

That seems exceptionally odd. Glacier Bay is capacity-controlled, but subbing a ship wouldn't be a deal breaker. Southbound Princess itineraries usually hit Hubbard + GB, while northbound hit GB + College Fjord. 

If you're going Northbound, does that mean the itinerary is now Hubbard Glacier + College Fjord?? Again, that would be really odd as the line already has slots for Glacier Bay from the NPS. 

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

A couple of notes for anybody wondering:  My TA never notified me about the Sapphire to Royal change, and Princess updated their website with all the info Monday.  I called the TA today and they asked for the Princess booking number, and they loaded it.  Anyway, after some discussion, I decided to stick with the Royal cruise in the same room.  I got the interior room across the hall for no price increase.  Still disappointed about sailing west of Vancouver and not going to Glacier Bay, but decided to go with it because the dates work perfectly and the extra room made it worth the price I paid (or will pay when it's due).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

A couple of notes for anybody wondering:  My TA never notified me about the Sapphire to Royal change, and Princess updated their website with all the info Monday.  I called the TA today and they asked for the Princess booking number, and they loaded it.  Anyway, after some discussion, I decided to stick with the Royal cruise in the same room.  I got the interior room across the hall for no price increase.  Still disappointed about sailing west of Vancouver and not going to Glacier Bay, but decided to go with it because the dates work perfectly and the extra room made it worth the price I paid (or will pay when it's due).

We love sailing Alaska during the last week of June and  early July.   The addition of College Fjord is nice, too.   Good decision to add the interior cabin.   

On 9/19/2021 at 12:18 PM, PACD_JG said:

Capture.PNG

Yup, that seems to be the case for your particular sailing now that Princess has the Royal on its booking site.  The sailings before and after yours do both go to Glacier Bay which really sucks for you and all the other passengers. 

3 hours ago, Don9992 said:

Yup, that seems to be the case for your particular sailing now that Princess has the Royal on its booking site.  The sailings before and after yours do both go to Glacier Bay which really sucks for you and all the other passengers. 

I'm trying to remain positive about this.  😛

@PACD_JG I am in similar 'ship' but opposite. I booked a Deluxe obstructed balcony on the Royal and we got changed to the Sapphire going Sydney to Tasmania - I got the notification of change a few weeks ago but was busy so just looked at it. The Sapphire is a lovely ship as we cruised Norway and Iceland in her July 2019 so was ok about the ship change.

No obstructed balcony's on the Sapphire so supposedly got an upgrade, which I just noticed, to a BC Balcony - not an upgrade as smaller cabin which I did expect, and on Aloha Deck - we never book Aloha as too high up, plus cabin is under the Pool area.

I have sent my TA an email that it needs to be changed and I am not happy with the current allocation. I am usually very easy going but this allocation is not good, this was already a rebook of a rebook, if they can't do better I might have to change the date so I can book what I want.

I am aware Princess is having a terrible time - especially with our government not even being prepared to give a start up date.

• 1 month later...

Was about to cancel this cruise for Holland America, so I checked my Princess account one last time, and lo and behold, Glacier Bay is added back on?  So conflicted.

image.thumb.png.b0a0250c891c7d8b7f3c7b3c047eae3f.png

Edited by PACD_JG

I think you will have a wonderful cruise regardless of which you get (Glacier Bay, Hubbard Bay).  I have been to both.  While Glacier Bay is bigger and more to see they are both very scenic.  Also, don't forget the rest of the cruise!!!  The port stops also are very scenic.  After this cruise you will want to go again and do a cruise tour too!

I have done Alaska 2x.  First was on the Grand (same size as Saphire) but had no balcony.  It was freezing on deck (early June). Had wonderful time.  Second time was on the Royal Princess in a balcony.  I really appreciated the covered balcony (it was the second week of July) which I hear you don't get on the Saphire.  I really love the Royal class ships.

All in all there are some things that might be better in one person's eyes and other things that are not HOWEVER they all add up to a wonderful cruise.  Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees.

Edited by dickinson